Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA on board technology (inc. power ports) (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FOR CURRENT THREAD, SEE Guide to AA Inflight Power in 2018

AA offers power points to most seats (some may be shared by two adjacent seats); while AA are moving to 110 VAC standard “Universal” (two blade US, Euro and UK) outlets, with 5 VDC low output USB outlets. The few remaining older (MD-80) aircraft still have "cigarette lighter" style outlets with ~15 VDC. LUS narrowbodied aircraft are generally do not offer seat power, though it will be retrofitted under Project Oasis.

(For WiFi, which is changing dynamically across the fleet in 2018, please see here.)

Please see the first post in this thread for further information.

The CIP 763s with staggered full flat Business with 110 VAC and USB 5 VDC in Business, and the cigar-lighter style 15 VDC outlets in MCE. For power issue tips and tricks see sluggoaafa's post #171.

NOTE: New power: "Each set of outlets in a row can provide up to 225 watts of power, combined, with a maximum of 150 watts per plug. If one device is pulling its maximum allotment, this leaves only 75 watts for the second plug, meaning there are times where there may not be enough power to run 2 devices."

Announced 22 Jan 3017: "We expect 50 percent of our domestic narrowbody aircraft to be equipped with power at every seat by the end of 2018, and over 85 percent equipped by the end of 2020." (This should be 110 VAC multiplug and 5 VDC USB.)

Old “cigar lighter”outlet 15 VDC power: drawing over 70 watts is likely to reset the breaker. Some devices may charge or run, but not both.

Resources:

Link to aa.com WiFi and Connectivity page

Link to aa.com page with links to each aircraft's powerport status

Link to SeatGuru - seat charts show show powerport locations (but note SeatGuru has some seat chart reliability issues)

Link to Travel Technology Forum: The In Flight Power Knowledge Compendium

Previous posts can be fund in Power ports, plugs and electric adapters / technology for AA (Archived)

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA on board technology (inc. power ports) (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
s80 power outlets

I've been in several s80s over the past few months, and will be in several more this winter.

I've been in the exit row and have yet to find a functioning cigarette-style power outlet recently, either on an s80 or 757.

Considering retiring the airplane power converter I keep my carryon bag

The 737s have two-prong outlets
Old Dec 1, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75k, AA EXP, Subway Sub Club
Humbly propose that the wikipost language be modified for clarity. currently reads:

(2) Aircraft with two-prong (ungrounded) 110 VAC common US powerports - with a limitation of 75 Watts supply - include some 737 and 757s, all "75L" "International" 757-200s; all 763, 757 and 737s are to be converted to 110 VAC.
when I carefully parse it, i see the semicolon and the intent to indicate that in the future, 763, 757 and 737s will all have this. however, on quick glance, i miss the semi-colon separator and think that all 763s, 757s, and 737s CURRENTLY have AC (which we should all agree is not the case).

Perhaps split up the sentence to read: " include some 737 and 757s. In the future, all "75L" "International" 757-200s; all 763, 757 and 737s are to be converted to 110 VAC."
Old Dec 1, 2013, 4:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Er, a wikipost is there by definition to be edited by anyone with more current or accurate information; go for it. As it states:

Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

But note: all 75Ls currently have 110 VAC, iirc.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75k, AA EXP, Subway Sub Club
Originally Posted by JDiver
Er, a wikipost is there by definition to be edited by anyone with more current or accurate information; go for it.
my bad---proposed edit was to the first post (moderator note), not the wikipost.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
So the 763 has power at all MCE seats, but it's cigarette adapter style, right?

I'm bidding on a MagSafe Airline adapter on eBay. Has anyone had luck with these and a MagSafe2 adapter in combination for a 15" retina MacBook Pro?
Old Dec 1, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat; Other Stuff
Originally Posted by Pinned
So the 763 has power at all MCE seats, but it's cigarette adapter style, right?

I'm bidding on a MagSafe Airline adapter on eBay. Has anyone had luck with these and a MagSafe2 adapter in combination for a 15" retina MacBook Pro?
Works great, but note it will NOT charge your laptop. It will keep it powered, and if you draw too much your battery will draw some, but it should keep you running for the entirety of the flight.

I just wish this charger would work in the car. :/
Old Dec 1, 2013, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by flyjackjack
Works great, but note it will NOT charge your laptop. It will keep it powered, and if you draw too much your battery will draw some, but it should keep you running for the entirety of the flight.

I just wish this charger would work in the car. :/
Have you used this adapter, specifically, on a 15" retina MacBook Pro in conjunction with the MagSafe to MagSafe 2 adapter? I've read one report saying that it simply will not work, but I can't see why it shouldn't. Thanks!
Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
I've become frustrated as of late. The 737 two-prong outlets are increasingly out of service in the Y cabin. Probably 30% of flights, the little green light is out.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Power outlet in Economy 772 (AA289 ORD-PVG)

I searched. Turned up some old results. Also read the thread already on this page, but it only mentions the 752.

Did AA convert the economy seats on the 772 to have AC mains? Or is its DC power only?

(I have a 222Wh battery for my Mac, but I try to avoid carrying it if I don't need it.)
Old Mar 3, 2014, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by alphaod
I searched. Turned up some old results. Also read the thread already on this page, but it only mentions the 752.

Did AA convert the economy seats on the 772 to have AC mains? Or is its DC power only?

(I have a 222Wh battery for my Mac, but I try to avoid carrying it if I don't need it.)
DC power
Old Mar 3, 2014, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Antarius
DC power
Every seat or just select seats?

(Sorry, I don't normally fly AA)
Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:10 am

Every seat or just select seats?

(Sorry, I don't normally fly AA)
I don't mean to sound snarky or anything, but have you considered just checking on AA's website? That would be the first place I would look, or perhaps even Seatguru (admittedly, seatguru isn't that great of a site anymore, but they do show the correct location of powerports in my experience.)

AA.com 772 seatmap

Seatguru AA772 seatmap
Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Djokison
I don't mean to sound snarky or anything, but have you considered just checking on AA's website? That would be the first place I would look, or perhaps even Seatguru (admittedly, seatguru isn't that great of a site anymore, but they do show the correct location of powerports in my experience.)

AA.com 772 seatmap

Seatguru AA772 seatmap
Yeah, I did check Seatguru, but I don't really trust Seatguru…

As for the AA website, I did not check, but thanks that answered my question.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:17 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
When the 772 CIP is implemented, the power will most likely go to USB and a/c. Until then, count on something like 15 VDC at less than (iirc) 90 watts.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:58 am

Yeah, I did check Seatguru, but I don't really trust Seatguru…

As for the AA website, I did not check, but thanks that answered my question.
And rightfully so, Seatguru isn't the most reliable site. But even they're right sometimes, haha.

And no problem!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.