Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
Airport Upgrade and Standby Order, Priority “PALL” List
Questions, Upgrade Anomalies, Issues, etc.
NOTE: Complimentary upgrades are now ordered based on (1) Status, (2) 12 month rolling Loyalty Points, (3) Time and date of upgrade request.

NOTE: As of 1 Jan 2017, your travel companion will "borrow" your PALL listing. Link.

Main PALL list codes. Passengers are ordered by code, then elite status, then other factors. Additional codes may be entered to designate other information, such as companions traveling together.
  • OS# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • RF = Confirmed First Class passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • DSR# = Standby First Class passenger, confirmed in Economy. Usually used for involuntary downgrades of paid First passengers.
  • VIP# = Passenger awaiting a SWU upgrade.
  • MLG# = Passenger awaiting a mileage and copay upgrade. This may be the same priority as VIP, i.e. VIP1 = MLG1, VIP2 = MLG2, etc.
  • UPG# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting a complimentary, or elite sticker upgrade. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by 12 month rolling loyalty points followed by time and date of upgrade request.
  • RI# = Revenue involuntary standby passenger (bumped from another flight due to oversold condition or travel disruptions). Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV# = Revenue voluntary standby passenger. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV = Non-status revenue passengers on voluntary standby, and certain staff travel.
  • D% = Non-revenue standby passenger (AA employees, family, and friends), where % is an additional number code pertaining to the type of pass and not related to elite status. See the Staff Travel / Buddy Pass Thread.
  • VOL = Volunteer for bump to a later flight. Passengers are ordered by time of volunteering (first come-first served).
  • DG = Passenger with involuntary (or voluntary) downgrade in class-of-service.
  • RL = "Flat Tire Rule" passenger missing a flight through no fault of their own or AA (L=Late, in this case). Note that in some circumstances, AA may offer a confirmed seat on a later flight instead.
  • -T = Through passenger - Addition of this suffix gives priority over other passengers in the same status group, overriding normal time-based ranking. This suffix is supposed to be used for passengers connecting from another flight.
Status indicator numbers UPG/VIP (#) = 1 = Concierge Key; 2 = Executive Platinum; 3 = Platinum Pro; 4 = Platinum, 5 = Gold; no number = no status (e.g. UPG2/VIP2 for EP).

C/o sensei:

The following UPG priority levels are now in effect:
  • UPG1/VIP1 Concierge Key
  • UPG2/VIP2 Executive Platinum
  • UPG3/VIP3 Platinum Pro
  • UPG4/VIP4 Platinum
  • UPG5/VIP5 Gold
  • UPG/VIP No status
UPGC is used for operational upgrades

Revenue Standbys are cleared in the following order:
  • RIT (involuntary, transit)
  • RI (involuntary)
  • RV (voluntary)
  • RL (late)
*Numbers corresponding to elite status will determine the order of the passengers within each category.

All revenue standbys are cleared before any non-revenue standbys

Older posts have been archived to this thread.
Print Wikipost

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by SpinOn2
What is UPGC when it comes to upgrades? Overheard a GA arguing with another about these three being listed as UPGC.

i think, they are or were PE customers.
UPGC is not op-up (which is for operational reasons like oversold cabin). C stands for complimentary -- it's a code allocated to AA sales only, an upgrade to be given at the discretion of passenger sales support (PSS) and requires authorization from people very high up. I'm not sure what the context would be or what would qualify for this, but I can imagine one example might be if a specific sales account isn't able to apply an upgrade certificate properly, this code can be used. Maybe an insider can shed further light on other examples.
I believe C is still higher than E (positive space employee usually deadheading) or M (military -- always at the bottom of the list for an upgrade even below standbys).

CBNROLL is used for op-up (although this is just an annotation rather than an actual status).
Marsh11 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Seperated on standby list despite single locator

Flew DEN-DFW on Sunday. My flight was significantly delayed (4+ hours), so i requested to be on the standby list on an earlier flight that was delayed and leaving at the same time as my original flight. We were a group of 4 (me+wife+2 kids). as it gets closer i see that i'm listed as #7 on list, but the other 3 are #15-17. I'm gold, and the others don't have status - but we are on a single PNR. #3-6, look like a family of 4 given the 3 initials of the last name. They clear.

The GA calls me up and first says she only has 2 seats for my group. Okay we can split up, so someone makes it home at a reasonable time. The other two could stay, but then she says oh, i can only give you one seat since you are #7 and everyone else is much lower on the list. She doesn't understand it, either. What gives? we were on a single locator. aren't we supposed to be together on the standby list. I pass on a single seat - which would have to be me. In the end they give 3 seats out to #8 , #9 and #10 . I finally arrive at DFW at 3am (4.5 hours after my original landing time). Looking back i would have put 3 of us on a flight and then only 1 would have stayed. Do i have a leg on to complain to AA.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: AA Plat pro; Marriott Gold
JFK - SFO Non-Rev’s given all open F seats

JFK to SFO this morning - 4-5 open seats in First about 20 minutes from boarding. One-by-one, non-revs (I saw them hand their badges to the GA) are cleared from the standby list and assigned the open F seats. One is assigned to business. 1 minute out the GA clears a revenue upgrade for the final seat in business.

In the past, I thought open F seats were given to pax in business, then upgrades to business were processed for economy folks. Do I have that wrong or were there shenanigans?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:06 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rozziizzor
JFK to SFO this morning - 4-5 open seats in First about 20 minutes from boarding. One-by-one, non-revs (I saw them hand their badges to the GA) are cleared from the standby list and assigned the open F seats. One is assigned to business. 1 minute out the GA clears a revenue upgrade for the final seat in business.

In the past, I thought open F seats were given to pax in business, then upgrades to business were processed for economy folks. Do I have that wrong or were there shenanigans?
In another thread, I was flying jfk-lax (3 class) #1 on Y to BC upg list. A group of 5+ non-revs were cleared (to their surprise) into F. My upg never cleared, but a 6th non-rev may have been cleared into BC.
There is a thread (which I started) on FT where this is discussed, non-revs can go directly into F, while paying pax can only go from Y to BC (not F).
[I was next in line to speak with GA, the non-revs before me, so I heard the conversation directly.]
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by rozziizzor

There are no complimentary or "sticker" upgrades from J to F. A revenue passenger would be upgraded J to F only if they were applying an instrument (SWU or miles + copay).
TWA884 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wetrat0
There are no complimentary or "sticker" upgrades from J to F. A revenue passenger would be upgraded J to F only if they were applying an instrument (SWU or miles + copay).
Or if J was oversold, then a booked J pax would be moved up to F to make sure no J get downgraded.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
I had a friendly AAgent in the admirals club show me the waitlist for a flight about a week out. Next to my was VIP6. he said we were 9&10 on the list. As an EXP, I thought I should have VIP2 next to my name.
Anyone know what the VIP6 meant?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
I had a friendly AAgent in the admirals club show me the waitlist for a flight about a week out. Next to my was VIP6. he said we were 9&10 on the list. As an EXP, I thought I should have VIP2 next to my name.
I, too, would be interested in this. Was curious also to learn of the "T" designation that gives people requesting SWUs priority if they are a "thru" pax (connecting from somewhere else) versus someone originating in that city. Seems really unfair. Shouldn't it just be based upon time of request, fare class, or status and nothing to do with judgment on where one starts or finishes a trip? I don't get the logic behind that.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:21 am
Suspended

-T (it's usage for ranking of revenue pax on waitlist) is gone for a long time now and there is no such thing as VIP6
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JonNYC
<snip> there is no such thing as VIP6
The poster is at least implying they actually viewed the agents screen. With regard to VIP6, are you asserting the poster is a) lying or b) has bad eyesight?

Regards
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by scubadu
The poster is at least implying they actually viewed the agents screen. With regard to VIP6, are you asserting the poster is a) lying or b) has bad eyesight?

Regards
The latter.
Uzzar likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
The latter.
I very well may not have seen vip 6. It was one of those moments where I was surprised the agent was showing this to me, so wasn’t really prepared for what I saw. The upgrAAdes still haven’t cleared, and we’re two days away from departure. Not looking good, wojld be the first missed SWU in 8 years.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:03 am

The latter.
Got it, thanks.

Regards
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:07 am

<snip>Next to my was VIP6. he said we were 9&10 on the list. As an EXP, I thought I should have VIP2 next to my name.
<snip> I very well may not have seen vip 6.
Umm... given your initial post, this teams like a rather important detail...
Kind of a big difference between "I saw VIP6 next to my name" and "I very well may not have seen vip 6" next to my name.

Regards
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I, too, would be interested in this. Was curious also to learn of the "T" designation that gives people requesting SWUs priority if they are a "thru" pax (connecting from somewhere else) versus someone originating in that city. Seems really unfair. Shouldn't it just be based upon time of request, fare class, or status and nothing to do with judgment on where one starts or finishes a trip? I don't get the logic behind that.
If the number 6 and the letter T were by people’s names, this was likely the non-revenue portion of the list, as opposed to the revenue pax portion of the list. There are codes ending in both 6 and T for non-revenue passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.