Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
Airport Upgrade and Standby Order, Priority “PALL” List
Questions, Upgrade Anomalies, Issues, etc.
NOTE: Complimentary upgrades are now ordered based on (1) Status, (2) 12 month rolling Loyalty Points, (3) Time and date of upgrade request.

NOTE: As of 1 Jan 2017, your travel companion will "borrow" your PALL listing. Link.

Main PALL list codes. Passengers are ordered by code, then elite status, then other factors. Additional codes may be entered to designate other information, such as companions traveling together.
  • OS# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • RF = Confirmed First Class passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • DSR# = Standby First Class passenger, confirmed in Economy. Usually used for involuntary downgrades of paid First passengers.
  • VIP# = Passenger awaiting a SWU upgrade.
  • MLG# = Passenger awaiting a mileage and copay upgrade. This may be the same priority as VIP, i.e. VIP1 = MLG1, VIP2 = MLG2, etc.
  • UPG# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting a complimentary, or elite sticker upgrade. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by 12 month rolling loyalty points followed by time and date of upgrade request.
  • RI# = Revenue involuntary standby passenger (bumped from another flight due to oversold condition or travel disruptions). Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV# = Revenue voluntary standby passenger. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV = Non-status revenue passengers on voluntary standby, and certain staff travel.
  • D% = Non-revenue standby passenger (AA employees, family, and friends), where % is an additional number code pertaining to the type of pass and not related to elite status. See the Staff Travel / Buddy Pass Thread.
  • VOL = Volunteer for bump to a later flight. Passengers are ordered by time of volunteering (first come-first served).
  • DG = Passenger with involuntary (or voluntary) downgrade in class-of-service.
  • RL = "Flat Tire Rule" passenger missing a flight through no fault of their own or AA (L=Late, in this case). Note that in some circumstances, AA may offer a confirmed seat on a later flight instead.
  • -T = Through passenger - Addition of this suffix gives priority over other passengers in the same status group, overriding normal time-based ranking. This suffix is supposed to be used for passengers connecting from another flight.
Status indicator numbers UPG/VIP (#) = 1 = Concierge Key; 2 = Executive Platinum; 3 = Platinum Pro; 4 = Platinum, 5 = Gold; no number = no status (e.g. UPG2/VIP2 for EP).

C/o sensei:

The following UPG priority levels are now in effect:
  • UPG1/VIP1 Concierge Key
  • UPG2/VIP2 Executive Platinum
  • UPG3/VIP3 Platinum Pro
  • UPG4/VIP4 Platinum
  • UPG5/VIP5 Gold
  • UPG/VIP No status
UPGC is used for operational upgrades

Revenue Standbys are cleared in the following order:
  • RIT (involuntary, transit)
  • RI (involuntary)
  • RV (voluntary)
  • RL (late)
*Numbers corresponding to elite status will determine the order of the passengers within each category.

All revenue standbys are cleared before any non-revenue standbys

Older posts have been archived to this thread.
Print Wikipost

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Flight 202 to Boston went with an empty seat in FC today after upgrsding #1 then telling every one to board as f/c was checked in full. AA's completely fruatrating twitter response was "We know you love the upgrades and we're sorry for the empty seat today. We'll pass this on to our LAX leadership team for internal review"
Were you number two? If I had been, you better believe I would have been the last person on the plane, overhead bin space or not until the agent confirmed F was boarded full...Seems like that strategy would have been better than asking Twitter.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Were you number two? If I had been, you better believe I would have been the last person on the plane, overhead bin space or not until the agent confirmed F was boarded full...Seems like that strategy would have been better than asking Twitter.
No,I was further back. Husband was number 2. It was a full flight and expertflyer had showed only one seat all day, so it seemed reasonable to board.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
No,I was further back. Husband was number 2. It was a full flight and expertflyer had showed only one seat all day, so it seemed reasonable to board.
This sort of miscommunication/slowness on behalf of GAs does seem to happen sometimes. I was on a LAX-BOS a couple weeks ago where the FAs were furious at the GAs because there were empty seats in Y despite there still being standbys/non-revs waiting. Pushback time had arrived and they opted to just go instead.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
i didn't mean to be as critical as it may have come off! But in this situation it definitely seems worth it to be a bit of a pest to the GA for such a long flight is all. DCA-LGA? Not so much as waiting for your bags will be almost as long as the flight.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by phazedowt
This sort of miscommunication/slowness on behalf of GAs does seem to happen sometimes. I was on a LAX-BOS a couple weeks ago where the FAs were furious at the GAs because there were empty seats in Y despite there still being standbys/non-revs waiting. Pushback time had arrived and they opted to just go instead.
Why would the FAs care whether there are standbys waiting?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA EP
What is the appropriate PALL designator for an elite passenger who wishes to same day standby for a later flight? The process for this (as opposed to SDS for an earlier one) is not as clear.

Rarely does the "change your flight" button on AA seem to appear (or even work successfully when it does), but when I show up to the airport after my original flight has departed and tell the ticket agent I am SDS'ing for a later option, they assign me RL. I don't think this is fair, since SDS for later flights is only even available to elite members and not the public.

A few weeks ago I approached the ticket counter and explained my desire to SDS for a later flight and she said “oh so you missed your flight?” and I said no, that I was voluntarily electing to same day standby using my elite status.

She then said “ok, but we’re not supposed to rebook after a two hour window, but I’ll make an exception”. After she said this I reaffirmed that I did not miss my flight and always intended to take this later one, and she nodded and printed my boarding pass. I later learned I was coded under RL and she had put in that I missed my flight. This caused me to be 2nd to dead last on the 24 person deep standby list, about 20 of them did not have elite. Adding insult to injury, the only person after me on the list was told to board since their partner was cleared to board. In the frenzy of final boarding the gate agent stated she didn't even think there was a seat available for them but said to check and come back if it was occupied. There was one last seat which they took, and I was the only one who could not board, even though I should have been far higher on the list. I repeatedly tried explain this before the gate agent closed the flight but she was too busy and just told me she would deal with it after the flight left when things calm down.

After reading a lot of this thread I now suppose this happened because I did not explicitly call and cancel my original flight. However, after this incident I now always make it a point to attempt to do that, but most of the people on the phone don’t know why I am doing it or fully understand how to do it so that I am still able to fly on the reservation later in the day. If cancelling it is essentially a requirement so elite SDS don’t get penalized in list placement, why isn’t it explained to us that we need to cancel the first one, or explained to employees that we should be given RV# and not RL? Even after doing all of this, I’ve still been assigned RL and have to very nicely request to be RV#. If they do agree to change it, they’ll usually add something like “ok, but we’re not supposed to do that”.

I know the ordering methodology of the list is not public, but if RL is the proper designator for elite SDS for later flights, then I think language should be added to the Same Day Travel site page saying that your status tier will not impact your position on the list like it does for earlier ones, since I’m sure most elite fliers would reasonably expect their list position to have some relationship to their status.

If RV# is actually proper in this case, how can this policy be proven to the ticketing or gate agent?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
First off congrats for actually understanding the issue you're facing. Most PAX (including elites) have no idea how the PALL list works. Second, you should be an RV vs an RL. I think many of the agents don't understand that taking a later flight on purpose is an option for elites since few people do it. Most are trying to go earlier.

If I were you, I would try and call before the original flight leaves and ask to be added to the standby list. If they can't/won't add you, ask the agent to make a note in your PNR that you will be taking a later flight. That way the airport agent should understand that you have not accidentally missed your flight. It's unfortunate that we at FT often know/understand/apply the rules better than many of the agents, so YMMV and good luck!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ravenalive
Hmm. Based on this thread and my experience, I would say that the policy may have changed (which i was not aware of) but the policy is not necessarily implemented in the real world.

I am EP and my wife has no status. In January I was upgraded at the airport in HKG on an SWU on a flight from HKG to LAX but she was not. Same PNR, and i requested SWU upgrades for both of us at the same time months before. She was showing about 8th on the upgrade list, way below me.

I gave her my seat, of course.
For SWU upgrades the traveling companion does not inherit the status of the higher status traveler (like for domestic upgrades). This is regardless of whether the companion has status or not. In this case, it is better if the companion has some status.

The same applies for airport upgrade - companion keeps their own status or no status for SWU upgrade.

Whether AA changes this is TBD.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:46 am

Unhappy

Originally Posted by YtravelF
First off congrats for actually understanding the issue you're facing. Most PAX (including elites) have no idea how the PALL list works. Second, you should be an RV vs an RL. I think many of the agents don't understand that taking a later flight on purpose is an option for elites since few people do it. Most are trying to go earlier.

If I were you, I would try and call before the original flight leaves and ask to be added to the standby list. If they can't/won't add you, ask the agent to make a note in your PNR that you will be taking a later flight. That way the airport agent should understand that you have not accidentally missed your flight. It's unfortunate that we at FT often know/understand/apply the rules better than many of the agents, so YMMV and good luck!
Thank you! And thanks for the help.

I have never been able to be added to the standby list through calling, tweeting, etc. They always give the same answer, that it can only be done at the airport. Some are then willing to cancel the flight since they understand what I am doing, but most just say all of that has to be done at the airport. I rarely get RV# even after doing all of this, which is really disappointing since you agree that is the appropriate designator here.

I really wish there was something that could be done about this
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by samm
Thank you! And thanks for the help.

I have never been able to be added to the standby list through calling, tweeting, etc. They always give the same answer, that it can only be done at the airport. Some are then willing to cancel the flight since they understand what I am doing, but most just say all of that has to be done at the airport. I rarely get RV# even after doing all of this, which is really disappointing since you agree that is the appropriate designator here.

I really wish there was something that could be done about this
In the UA world, I frequently see references to specific sections of policy documents and instructions on how to tell agents to access. With AA, I have see policies copied and pasted in forums but never a specific reference that can be utilized to point an Agent to find it. This, IMHO, is the only way you'll get this corrected-- being able to point them to documented policy/instruction on how to handle.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
Even if they can't add you to the list over the phone, they can definitely add a note to your PNR. Ask them to notate that you do not intend to make your original flight and will be standing by for a later flight.

This will (hopefully) benefit the GA working your originally ticketed flight. When/if they look up your reservation to find out why you're not onboard, they'll see the note and know they can clear a standby in your place. It should also make it clear to the ticketing agent that you are intentionally standing by and thus should have an RV# designator. Remind the agent the V stands for Voluntary. The L stands for Late. You are Voluntarily standing by for a later flight.

Try that, see if it works. If not, escalate up the chain I guess

Last edited by YtravelF; Apr 25, 2017 at 12:03 pm
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Can I pull my wife's SWU at the airport ((she has no status) and switch to 500 mile request linked to me (I'm in the flight as well) and get next to me on the PALL list?

If I have already cleared, does that make a difference?

I didn't realize her SWU doesn't inherit my status, and am concerned since they seem to be clearing complimentary upgrades before SWUs on that flight.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by beachfan
Can I pull my wife's SWU at the airport ((she has no status) and switch to 500 mile request linked to me (I'm in the flight as well) and get next to me on the PALL list?

If I have already cleared, does that make a difference?

I didn't realize her SWU doesn't inherit my status, and am concerned since they seem to be clearing complimentary upgrades before SWUs on that flight.
In those situations where my upgrade already cleared, even the best of agents sadly haven't been able to let my husband inherit my status - once the upgrade is processed, the system refuses to allow your elite status to be added to a traveling companion.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Thanks.

if I understand the Wiki, all SWUs have higher priority on the PALL list than domestic upgrades,, right?

Last edited by beachfan; Apr 25, 2017 at 9:24 pm
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:13 am

I don't believe so. Should be equal.

Originally Posted by beachfan
Thanks.

if I understand the Wiki, all SWUs have higher priority on the PALL list than domestic upgrades,, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.