Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Airport Upgrade and Standby List" / Order, PALL List and issues (master thread)

"Airport Upgrade and Standby List" / Order, PALL List and issues (master thread)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 29, 19, 12:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Airport Upgrade and Standby Order, the PALL list
questions, upgrade anomalies, issues, etc.

NOTE: Upgrade waitlist priority changes from 1) Status, followed by 2) Date of request to 1) Status, followed by 2) Rolling EQD earning for last 365 days on 20 May 2017. Link to FT thread.

NOTE: As of 1 Jan 2017, your travel companion will "borrow" your PALL listing. Link. AA's employee newsletter also gives a complete breakdown on page 5 here: http://c.hub.aa.com/email/arrivals/2...vals_final.pdf

Main PALL list codes. Passengers are ordered by code, then elite status, then other time-based factors. Additional codes may be entered to designate other information, such as companions traveling together.
OS# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting seat assignment.
RF = Confirmed First Class passenger awaiting seat assignment.
DSR# = Standby First Class passenger, confirmed in Economy.
VIP# = Passenger awaiting a SWU upgrade.
UPG# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting mileage, complimentary, or elite sticker upgrade.
.........Within a status group, passengers are ordered by date and time of original request.
RI# = Revenue involuntary standby passenger (bumped from another flight due to oversold condition or travel disruptions).
.........Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
RV# = Revenue voluntary standby passenger. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
RV = Non-status revenue passengers eligible for voluntary standby.
D% = Non-revenue standby passenger (AA employees, family, and friends), where % is an additional number code pertaining to the type of pass and not related to elite status.
VOL = Volunteer for bump to a later flight.
.........Passengers are ordered by time of volunteering (first come-first served).
DG = Passenger with involuntary (or voluntary) downgrade in class-of-service.
RL = "Flat Tire Rule" passenger missing a flight through no fault of their own or AA (L=Late, in this case)
-T = Through passenger - Addition of this suffix gives priority over other passengers in the same status group, overriding normal time-based ranking. This suffix is supposed to be used for passengers connecting from another flight.
● Status indicator numbers UPG/VIP (#) = 1 = Concierge Key; 2 = Executive Platinum; 3 = Platinum Pro; 4 = Platinum, 5 = Gold; no number = no status (e.g. UPG2/VIP2 for EP).
C/o sensei:

The following UPG priority levels are now in effect:
  • UPG1/VIP1 Concierge Key
  • UPG2/VIP2 Executive Platinum
  • UPG3/VIP3 Platinum Pro
  • UPG4/VIP4 Platinum
  • UPG5/VIP5 Gold
  • UPG/VIP No status
UPGC is used for operational upgrades

"a notable difference is that SWU requests now have status levels other than just VIP1

Revenue Standbys are cleared in the following order:
RIT (involuntary, transit)
RI (involuntary)
RV (voluntary)
RL (late)

*Numbers corresponding to elite status will determine the order of the passengers within each category.

All revenue standbys are cleared before any non-revenue standbys

Print Wikipost

Old Feb 9, 12, 2:25 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by Ambraciot View Post
No, in 2012 the option to add yourself to the airport upgrade list is part of the OLCI process and check in time does not affect your placement on the list.
While true for domestic (sticker) upgrades, this is not true for SWU upgrades. These are definitely based on check-in time in the airport list. What I don't recall is if the OLCI process for international flights allows one to add to the airport list for the SWUs like it does for domestic sticker flights.

Cheers.
Old Feb 9, 12, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by brp View Post
While true for domestic (sticker) upgrades, this is not true for SWU upgrades. These are definitely based on check-in time in the airport list. What I don't recall is if the OLCI process for international flights allows one to add to the airport list for the SWUs like it does for domestic sticker flights.

Cheers.
While that is true, the quote from 2006 by mvoight and the general context of this thread relate to domestic upgrades. IJK also emphasized their Gold status, which has no international SWU benefits but does allow for "sticker" upgrades.

Therefore I stand by my statement in this context and thread, lest someone attach an addendum to your post explaining UA's SWU policies.
Old Feb 9, 12, 8:31 pm
IJK

Originally Posted by Ambraciot View Post
No, in 2012 the option to add yourself to the airport upgrade list is part of the OLCI process and check in time does not affect your placement on the list.

The statement you quoted probably made sense when it was made in 2006, but things have changed.
Boy, do I feel ignorant - - despite being an AA elite for over a decade!

So one does OLCI at any time it is offered (24 hours out to 3 hours out?), and one's placement on the airport upgrade list does not change, except perhaps temporarily, as other folks check in and get added to the airport list.

But if one goes on the airport upgrade list at 23 hours out, will the software continue to scan for availability and upgrade others because they didn't do OLCI and go on the airport list?

Bear with me again, but is it possible to do OLCI on AA without printing boarding passes or using a Smartphone? I know Delta lets one check in online without a printer nearby.
Old Feb 9, 12, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by IJK View Post
But if one goes on the airport upgrade list at 23 hours out, will the software continue to scan for availability and upgrade others because they didn't do OLCI and go on the airport list?
You don't really move to the airport upgrade list until 3 hours before departure, even if you've elected to go on it. So you are still eligible to be upgraded before it goes to the airport list. But caveat: once you have done OLCI you cannot use aa.com to change your seat. For this reason, I don't do OLCI when I have an upgrade request pending.

Bear with me again, but is it possible to do OLCI on AA without printing boarding passes or using a Smartphone? I know Delta lets one check in online without a printer nearby.
Yes, you can do OLCI without printing your boarding pass. You can have a mobile boarding pass sent to your phone and/or have a PDF e-mailed to you. You can also ignore the whole boarding pass issue until you get to the airport, and use a kiosk to print one.
Old Feb 10, 12, 1:41 am
IJK

Originally Posted by Ready2Go View Post
You don't really move to the airport upgrade list until 3 hours before departure, even if you've elected to go on it. So you are still eligible to be upgraded before it goes to the airport list. But caveat: once you have done OLCI you cannot use aa.com to change your seat. For this reason, I don't do OLCI when I have an upgrade request pending.

Yes, you can do OLCI without printing your boarding pass. You can have a mobile boarding pass sent to your phone and/or have a PDF e-mailed to you. You can also ignore the whole boarding pass issue until you get to the airport, and use a kiosk to print one.
OK, thanks. That makes sense.

Do OLCI and the regular system keeps scanning for upgrade availability, while you are still on the 'regular' list. During OLCI, one requests to be placed on the airport standby list, but that does not take effect until the proper time.

Wow. Looks like AA did it properly. Can't say that about how NW used to do it.

And with OLCI, one can still print BPs at a kiosk.

Why did I make things out to be way more complicated?

Thanks.
Old Feb 18, 12, 8:19 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by truthknown View Post
The list is very accurate. It is mostly automated, especially the ordering of the priority levels.
okay, so whoever on the list may be accurate, but not for those who are not on the list...

I found this out yesterday, with the help of iPhone app, which shows the standby list with pax names. I was on 10:40 DFW-TUS. standby for 7:00 flight (383?), I've been #1 all the time as shown both on iPhone app and gate monitor -- however, iPhone showed 10 people on list while gate monitor only showed 8, and the cleared list showed empty all the time. I noticed that but didn't give it much thought. flight was actually overbooked and they asked for a volunteer, but since I was #1 I still had high hope and stayed right at the counter waiting for GA to call me. another male pax asked why his name was not on the list and GA said don't worry, you will get on the plane. GA also asked another pax nearby was her name xxx. plane finished boarding quite early but GA kept waiting for last several pax. at T-10 2 pax didn't show up and GA started processing standby. 3 seats available and the other pax got on, then she said one more seat and asked me to follow her to the plane. however, as I was walking down the aisle to the last seat 23E, she stopped me and said since there were still 8 minutes, she would want me to wait couple of minutes at the aircraft gate... and sure enough, she got a call and another pax showed up so I got kicked out. seems the urban legend that once gate is closed pax can't get on isn't true. again, in all this time, cleared list had been empty (means they didn't really clear me, and the other two got seats before me, didn't have names on either list).

anyways, I wanted to ask GA why those two people, apparently names not on the list can jump ahead of me, but I didn't get time. the only pax missed the flight also showed up and both of us were put on next flight as standby.

so I moved to gate for the 8:15 DFW-TUS. I was #2/14. the pax who missed the previous flight was #1 -- although from the way she talked to the GA she didn't appear to be EXP (I certainly could be wrong though as I didn't see her BP). not far into boarding process GA gave her BP, then she called me, and asked, "you are confirmed for next flight, and we have one seat left now, there is a military member who isn't confirmed on any flight and whether I'm willing to do his a favor and let him get on first, you don't have too though". as a nice EXP, I said sure why not. promptly, after some keystrokes, gate monitor showed 12 people on list but my iPhone still 13 with me #1. this time, I tried to match the names and the missing one was #2. GA then called and it was the soldier. his name did not appear on cleared list. GA told him I gave up priority and the soldier thanked me.

now I started to realize that:
1, GA can process standby out of order.
2, the two pax who got seats before me on previous flight were likely those two missing from gate monitor.
Old Feb 21, 12, 1:11 pm

Wait List for Mileage Upgrade

I'm on the wait list for a mileage upgrade from international coach to business and I can see business has 11 seats available yet AA still hasn't cleared the upgrade. We are less than 6 hours from departure and I'm waiting. I'm platinum for what it's worth.
Old Feb 21, 12, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by mingw View Post

I found this out yesterday, with the help of iPhone app, which shows the standby list with pax names.
How is this? Do you have access to Sabre or JetNet?
Old Feb 21, 12, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.4MM; AA PLT 2.5MM; Hilton Diamond; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex MR; Chase UR, et al
Originally Posted by elduderino View Post
How is this? Do you have access to Sabre or JetNet?
The AA iPhone/Android app shows the standby list.
Old Feb 21, 12, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 000123UA View Post
The AA iPhone/Android app shows the standby list.
FWIW, I've never been able to find the standby list on the AA iPhone app, so if you could give me some tips on how to pull it up it would be much appreciated.
Old Feb 21, 12, 6:52 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Originally Posted by SEAPlatinum View Post
FWIW, I've never been able to find the standby list on the AA iPhone app, so if you could give me some tips on how to pull it up it would be much appreciated.
Although not in an intuitive way. I wish I could remember the exact steps, but essentially if you go to view the flight details for the flight you are originally booked on, and keep swiping right to left, you'll stumble on the option to view your standby flight details (tiny green bar with the words "view your standby flight" IIRC), and from there you can see where you are on the list.

EDIT: Found some images and the "official" instructions: "If you have already requested to be placed on the standby list of your desired flight, just click the green bar displayed with your flight information and you can view the list directly on your mobile device. You no longer have to watch the screen at your gate- you can simply refresh the list and get up to date information."

Last edited by TonySCV; Feb 21, 12 at 7:04 pm Reason: found image of standby screen
Old Jun 11, 12, 5:34 pm

Besides AA, which are the other airlines which publish the airport upgrade standby list on the airport screens and airline websites?
Old Jun 11, 12, 7:01 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AC*AP*FQTV View Post
Besides AA, which are the other airlines which publish the airport upgrade standby list on the airport screens and airline websites?
All of 'em
Old Jun 13, 12, 6:21 am

Examples (screen shots, pics) ???
Old Jun 13, 12, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AC*AP*FQTV View Post
Examples (screen shots, pics) ???
What are you looking for specifically? AFAIK all the major US carriers show the upgrade list in the airport (in the US), all of them also have an iphone/android app that shows this, and most of them will let you view the list on their website (although AA does not).

Search this Thread