FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (pre-2017) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/634552-just-made-exp-executive-platinum-resources-ask-questions-brag-pre-2017-a.html)

Arsey00 Jan 13, 2015 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU (Post 24160294)
This may be more about Flight Delay Compensation Regulation 261/2004 were big bucks are paid for delays going to EU. If you are rebooked and are satisfied, you waive the rights to any claim.

Despite being in the midst of an EU 261 claim from September, I hadn't even thought of that. Still satisfied, mind, as €600 wouldn't have covered a Club ticket.

luigibres Jan 17, 2015 9:45 am

A couple of questions concerning qualifying for 2016: 1) My wife is new to the AA frequent flyer program. Suppose they let her do one of those challenges for EXP, I've read that if the challenge is completed before July, then the benefits only hold until Feb. 2016, whereas, if completed in July or later, she would be EXP until 2017. 2) Similarly for me, if I hit 100K miles before July, does my EXP last only until Feb. 2016 or Feb. 2017. I'm trying to catch up, but I'm behind the curve with all the changes going on. Thanks.

vasantn Jan 17, 2015 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by luigibres (Post 24184197)
A couple of questions concerning qualifying for 2016: 1) My wife is new to the AA frequent flyer program. Suppose they let her do one of those challenges for EXP,

Not gonna happen.

I've read that if the challenge is completed before July, then the benefits only hold until Feb. 2016, whereas, if completed in July or later, she would be EXP until 2017.

This is true for standard GLD and PLT challenges, and the cutoff is on or after the start date (June 16) and not the end date. EXP challenges tend to be more customized, and in any event one is not going to be offered.

2) Similarly for me, if I hit 100K miles before July, does my EXP last only until Feb. 2016 or Feb. 2017.

You are not on a challenge so when you complete your 100K is irrelevant, as long as it is within the calendar year.

I'm trying to catch up, but I'm behind the curve with all the changes going on. Thanks.

Clearly ;). However, this doesn't seem to be the right thread for your queries.

tom911 Jan 17, 2015 12:47 pm

1) My wife is new to the AA frequent flyer program. Suppose they let her do one of those challenges for EXP

Is she a UA 1K flyer? Those seem to be the only flyers that might have access to that.

Tom in Lisbon

JonNYC Jan 17, 2015 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 24185031)
Is she a UA 1K flyer? Those seem to be the only flyers that might have access to that.

Tom in Lisbon

With other caveats/exceptions as well-- but certainly none that would apply in this case. Gold or plat challenge only.

trekker954 Jan 17, 2015 1:26 pm

I made my EXP on December 8th. It was this past Tues or Wed that I received my new Executive Platinum card; two baggage tags and the booklet that also included those attaboy slips you give to deserving AA personnel.

carsnoceans Feb 16, 2015 6:34 pm

Any other useful bit in EXP kit besides baggage tags?

txpenny Feb 17, 2015 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by carsnoceans (Post 24363203)
Any other useful bit in EXP kit besides baggage tags?

My bags are first off the plane. Don't know if that's a bene, or coincidence from the few times I've checked luggage.

imapilotaz Feb 17, 2015 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by txpenny (Post 24367554)
My bags are first off the plane. Don't know if that's a bene, or coincidence from the few times I've checked luggage.

Lucky, mine have been near the back of the queue.

SonP May 1, 2015 9:36 pm

Completed a crazy 3 months (at least for me) of trips to Asia. Thanks to AA's 2015 EQP promotion I was able to secure EXP for another year.

Currently at:
68,471 EQM
106,650 EQP
19 EQS

Regards,
SonP

Arsey00 May 2, 2015 7:25 am

Again, I had some flights that should have taken me over 100k that didn't credit (second year in a row) and had to request. The flights eventually posted on Friday, but my account still says I have no SWUs.

Is there usually a wait time? Or is it because I had to request the credit?

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George May 2, 2015 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Arsey00 (Post 24754216)
Again, I had some flights that should have taken me over 100k that didn't credit (second year in a row) and had to request. The flights eventually posted on Friday, but my account still says I have no SWUs.

Is there usually a wait time? Or is it because I had to request the credit?

It usually takes a 2-3 days for the SWUs to post. You should see them no later than Monday. Make sure you are scrolling all the way down below current stickers.

Arsey00 May 2, 2015 9:26 am

Thanks. I'll be patient then :)

As it's only my second year qualifying for EXP, and both qualifications happened to be on the flights which didn't credit, I didn't know the general procedure.

rafatmit May 2, 2015 3:19 pm

I'm a new EXP thanks to the late great US challenge. I came over from UA and couldn't be happier with how much better things are in AA land. Thanks to the PEK J fare, I will requalify in May, which leads to my AA newbie question: Are there marginal benefits to miles/points after 100,000? Not sure if I should look at crediting flights to someone else after I requalify.

JDiver May 2, 2015 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by rafatmit (Post 24755774)
I'm a new EXP thanks to the late great US challenge. I came over from UA and couldn't be happier with how much better things are in AA land. Thanks to the PEK J fare, I will requalify in May, which leads to my AA newbie question: Are there marginal benefits to miles/points after 100,000? Not sure if I should look at crediting flights to someone else after I requalify.

Congratulations!

We can't predict, of course, but in previous years extra SWU have been forthcoming - most recently in increments of 25,000 past 100,000. AA has also offered various bonuses in the past at certain mile points.

I'm wondering if doing the same this year might be impacted by the EQP bonus for premium fares.

rafatmit May 2, 2015 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 24755970)
Congratulations!

We can't predict, of course, but in previous years extra SWU have been forthcoming - most recently in increments of 25,000 past 100,000. AA has also offered various bonuses in the past at certain mile points.

I'm wondering if doing the same this year might be impacted by the EQP bonus for premium fares.

Interesting, thanks. So this is something they do via one-off promotions, not through some sort of standard program term?

JDiver May 2, 2015 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by rafatmit (Post 24756308)
Interesting, thanks. So this is something they do via one-off promotions, not through some sort of standard program term?

It has changed year to year somewhat, and there's a new boss.

Arsey00 May 3, 2015 5:46 am

Hopefully the new boss will see that the extra EQP this year will actually put more people in the position of wondering whether to fly AA or someone else for the duration of the year, and continue to offer a reason...

JDiver May 3, 2015 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Arsey00 (Post 24757595)
Hopefully the new boss will see that the extra EQP this year will actually put more people in the position of wondering whether to fly AA or someone else for the duration of the year, and continue to offer a reason...

Imo it's hard to predict what the new boss will do. Among his early acts, a year ago he added award tiers, eliminated the permissible N. American stopover on awards, and eliminated oneworld awards, among others.

I think you and I believe believe extending perquisites to high value flyers who exceed EQP milestones is a good idea and incentive to keep them flying AA - but does PAR/D?

Arsey00 May 4, 2015 8:35 pm

I'll be the guinea pig, then. The current promotion means I'll cross 25k extra this year. Of course, without the promo I'd have something like 118k so that's likely good enough reason not to offer any freebies this year...

txpenny May 5, 2015 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Arsey00 (Post 24766295)
I'll be the guinea pig, then. The current promotion means I'll cross 25k extra this year. Of course, without the promo I'd have something like 118k so that's likely good enough reason not to offer any freebies this year...

Same boat here. I've booked first all year and thanks to the promo I should exceed the EQP threshold by 7.31 or 8.7, depending on where I go on the 4th of July (8.7 qualification if I just stay home).

ORDPLATAA May 8, 2015 8:10 am

Just made EXP!

YTD Points 56,874
YTD Miles 101,121
YTD Segments 36

Flew my qualifying flight Tuesday evening, by Wednesday the flight had credited and my status was updated to reflect EXP and, when I checked this morning, my (8) eVIP's are in my account with an expiration of Feb 28, 2017!

I did this on mileage runs - 4 runs to Asia (have become VERY familiar with AA 137/138), 1 to Vienna and domestic travel in between. Will probably end the year around 125K-130K total miles after some additional business travel + potential trip to EZE this fall.

I had two reservations already ticketed for travel in the next month: one for next weekend to DFW and one for early June to SNA. I had requested upgrades on both and, in looking at the reservations, it appears as though those flights have also been updated to reflect my new status as the "Upgrade Required" column states "Complimentary" now versus listing the number of 500 milers I would need to upgrade.

Looking forward to getting the new card & new baggage tags! It's great to be back in the club!!!!

JDiver May 8, 2015 8:15 am

Congratulations. Welcome back to the fold.

Col Ronson May 14, 2015 6:01 pm

i qualified like literally 7-8 months ago and finally got my new card today and it has my full name (including middle name) on it this time, word. previously it was just first/last name haha

JDiver May 14, 2015 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Col Ronson (Post 24817363)
i qualified like literally 7-8 months ago and finally got my new card today and it has my full name (including middle name) on it this time, word. previously it was just first/last name haha

What a show of customer centeredness! Maybe a Bangladeshi fulfillment house with a semi-annual mailing schedule? ;)

IWontRegretThis May 14, 2015 8:37 pm

I have already received a bonus 2 SWUs, called in and asked @137k EQP for the year. Last year I was ~225k EQP without this year's bonus, and got I believe a total of 6 extra SWUs.

JonNYC May 14, 2015 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by rafatmit (Post 24755774)

Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis (Post 24817865)
I have already received a bonus 2 SWUs, called in and asked @137k EQP for the year. Last year I was ~225k EQP without this year's bonus, and got I believe a total of 6 extra SWUs.

See also:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-2014-a-6.html

See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post23072221

callmedtop Jun 24, 2015 9:37 am

Third year in a row - miles posted today for flight last week. Earliest I've qualified so far!

Miles: 77,031 of 100,000 (YTD)
Segments: 34 of 120 (YTD)

No SWU's yet, but still have 3 through 2/16 to use anyways.

DevilDawg1960 Jul 8, 2015 10:35 am

Re-qualified on June 26th and 8 SWUs posted quickly.

Miles: 62,041 of 100,000 (YTD)

Segments: 33 of 120 (YTD)

jake108 Jul 16, 2015 11:34 am

Brand new EXP!

Luggage tags, etc. are in the mail. After completing XX EQP under an "exception," following years of Platinum finally crossing one off "bucket list."
Question: My eight SWU expire 2/29/16(yay-leap year!)as well as status.
I intend to make full use of them so quite a full schedule for next seven months.
Anyone have suggestions on this?(last year did ORD-JFK-HEL-HNG-NRT-HNG-LAX-DFW, all FC/BC on old US 90K award)and would not mind revisiting. Value/cost will be an issue, with so much travel, about one SWU a month.

Of course, to continue status I will need XX EQP by end of year-this also is a consideration. Once "spoiled," will want to keep it going.

I know, I know-quite an open question but perhaps someone will offer the benefit of their previous experience. And, no, I cannot describe the "exception" except to say, and my mom(bless her) said, "Ask nice, ask twice."

HNL Jul 16, 2015 12:13 pm

Great on obtaining EP status.

I can't find a question in your post. What are you specifically looking for?

finally, where is HNG?

0335th Jul 16, 2015 1:59 pm

HNG = Hienghene, New Caledonia

HNL Jul 16, 2015 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by 0335th (Post 25127797)
HNG = Hienghene, New Caledonia

Yes - I looked it up, but somehow I doubt an airport with a 3947 ft. runway can support non-stop flights from HEL and NRT. ;)

fotographer Jul 17, 2015 6:13 am

Just requalifed last week, just so everyone knows, US flights post a few days after your travel. 8 SWU were in the account a day after.
only 7,000 miles away from Lifetime PLT, should get that on my next trip to India.

jake108 Jul 17, 2015 11:13 am

Apologies

Routing mentioned was intended to include HKG, nine hours there, nine CX lounges, etc. Question was how to best use eight SWU, which are new to me.
Also, XX EQP needed to complete EXP through 2/17-likely what I have been doing but admittedly an obscure MR question.

HNL Jul 17, 2015 11:46 am

Originally Posted by jake108 (Post 25132461)
Routing mentioned was intended to include HKG, nine hours there, nine CX lounges, etc. Question was how to best use eight SWU, which are new to me.
Also, XX EQP needed to complete EXP through 2/17-likely what I have been doing but admittedly an obscure MR question.

A SWU can be used for up to 3 segments with the same general direction of travel.

Post December the best routing would be LHR-USA-SYD. Other good routings now are Deep South America (EZE, MVD, GRU, GIG, POA etc) - USA - Asia (PVG, PEK, NRT, ICN, HKG), or Deep South America - USA - Europe/TLV.

thecurtisw Jul 18, 2015 6:35 pm

My apologies if this question was addressed before, but when do airport benefits kick in? On the return portion of a trip next month, I'll fly MEL - HKG - LAX - BNA and will pass the EXP threshold when I land at HKG. I'm wondering whether I'll have access to CX first class lounges during that layover as a new Emerald, or if it won't have kicked in yet since partner miles typically take a few days to post.

nkedel Jul 18, 2015 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by thecurtisw (Post 25137899)
My apologies if this question was addressed before, but when do airport benefits kick in? On the return portion of a trip next month, I'll fly MEL - HKG - LAX - BNA and will pass the EXP threshold when I land at HKG. I'm wondering whether I'll have access to CX first class lounges during that layover as a new Emerald, or if it won't have kicked in yet since partner miles typically take a few days to post.

It'll almost certainly take a few days to post. At least it's a case with the regular J lounges are pretty nice. :D

thecurtisw Jul 18, 2015 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel (Post 25138171)
It'll almost certainly take a few days to post. At least it's a case with the regular J lounges are pretty nice. :D

Yeah, for sure...great lounges there! I'll just have to suffer through a J lounge ;) Thanks!

Dr. HFH Jul 18, 2015 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by HNL (Post 25132649)
A SWU can be used for up to 3 segments with the same general direction of travel.

Actually, each one is valid for up to three consecutive valid connecting flights (i.e., no stopovers) regardless of the direction of travel of the flights. If they're legal connections, up to three flights can be covered by one SWU.