FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Transportation e- and paper Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/578068-transportation-e-paper-voucher-vouchers-mco-faq-master-thread.html)

hellyea Mar 1, 2016 9:54 pm

Cancelled flight credit: when does it expire?

Found a thread from the pre-merger forum that is closed to posts.

Have credits from two non-refundable flights that were not flown.

Credit 1: $400 AA ticket # expires April 19
Credit 2: $300 US ticket # expires May 5

I would like to use this towards a $350 ticket. Is the following possible:

1) Combine credits towards $350 ticket (use $300 first). [Reservations rep says this is possible]
2) $250 residual voucher is issued

What is the expiration of the residual voucher? I'm hoping its 1 year from the VOUCHER issue date. Or would it be the April 19 date (which in that case I'm screwed).

Is the residual voucher transferable to a different pax?

Thanks and sorry if this belongs in another thread.

arollins Mar 2, 2016 3:51 am

Originally Posted by hellyea (Post 26270282)
Found a thread from the pre-merger forum that is closed to posts.

Have credits from two non-refundable flights that were not flown.

Credit 1: $400 AA ticket # expires April 19
Credit 2: $300 US ticket # expires May 5

I would like to use this towards a $350 ticket. Is the following possible:

1) Combine credits towards $350 ticket (use $300 first). [Reservations rep says this is possible]
2) $250 residual voucher is issued

What is the expiration of the residual voucher? I'm hoping its 1 year from the VOUCHER issue date. Or would it be the April 19 date (which in that case I'm screwed).

Is the residual voucher transferable to a different pax?

Thanks and sorry if this belongs in another thread.

Yes, both vouchers can be combined for one ticket, the balance can be used for another passenger. Not sure on balance expiration, but I think it is still linked to original expiration.
May I suggest you go to airport in order to get immediate ticketing, instead of waiting for ticketing to occur if you opt to mail the vouchers, unfortunately AA does not allow online redemption of paper vouchers.

ebuck Mar 2, 2016 8:43 am

Originally Posted by arollins (Post 26271018)
Yes, both vouchers can be combined for one ticket, the balance can be used for another passenger. Not sure on balance expiration, but I think it is still linked to original expiration.
May I suggest you go to airport in order to get immediate ticketing, instead of waiting for ticketing to occur if you opt to mail the vouchers, unfortunately AA does not allow online redemption of paper vouchers.

The residual value is sent as a new voucher with a new one year expiration.

21A Mar 2, 2016 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by seaskybound (Post 26257172)
It has one year validity. Do I have to fly it within a year or purchase ticket is enough?

Purchasing the ticket is sufficient

Is it OK for codeshares?
Usually, yes. A good heuristic appears to be that if you can hold it on aa.com you can then ticket with a voucher.

Can I ask to extend a voucher?
That's a customer service exception I wouldn't count on, but if you use part of the value within the year you'll get another year from ticketing for the residual and can continue indefinitely -- so you just need to use a nonzero amount of value per year

raj_cl Mar 2, 2016 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by 21A (Post 26274141)
if you use part of the value within the year you'll get another year from ticketing for the residual and can continue indefinitely -- so you just need to use a nonzero amount of value per year

Question - do you need to use the ticket to extend the voucher value?

Or just buy a refundable ticket with the voucher and get the value extended by another year?

If there is a schedule change with the ticket bought, can you just request them to issue the voucher again, with new 1 year validity?

seaskybound Mar 5, 2016 3:47 pm

I ticketed a reservation with voucher and asked to send it to Florida address. Can I instead send it to the Liverpool, UK address?

(can someone share that address please...)

charlesonmission Mar 8, 2016 3:26 pm

Does anyone know of a link that fully explains which taxes we are supposed to pay when using the voucher? I read earlier that some taxes are waived, but the last time I couldn't convince the person on the phone that could possibly exist?

RogerD408 Mar 8, 2016 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by charlesonmission (Post 26303907)
Does anyone know of a link that fully explains which taxes we are supposed to pay when using the voucher? I read earlier that some taxes are waived, but the last time I couldn't convince the person on the phone that could possibly exist?

Check the Wiki above for some info. As for the phone agents, refer them to their help line or the rate desk for the particulars. If the AAgent isn't willing, then it's time to HUCA. But do get their name first so they can get some new training.

charlesonmission Mar 9, 2016 5:14 am

I do see the short description on taxes. The link to AA.com on vouchers is now broken in the wiki. Does anyone know where to find that now. Nothing is coming up on this via google.

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 26304475)
Check the Wiki above for some info. As for the phone agents, refer them to their help line or the rate desk for the particulars. If the AAgent isn't willing, then it's time to HUCA. But do get their name first so they can get some new training.

21A Mar 10, 2016 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by raj_cl (Post 26274501)
Question - do you need to use the ticket to extend the voucher value?

The residual voucher you'll get will be unattached in any way to whether you fly on the ticket, so you may want to book the cheapest segment you can find (SFO-LAX or BOS-DCA when on sale for $50) so you get almost all the value back as residual.

Or just buy a refundable ticket with the voucher and get the value extended by another year?
Yes, other threads suggest this should work to give you another year.

If there is a schedule change with the ticket bought, can you just request them to issue the voucher again, with new 1 year validity?
I think the answer is the same as previous -- if the schedule change allows a refund per CoC, it would work.

21A Mar 10, 2016 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by charlesonmission (Post 26306347)
I do see the short description on taxes. The link to AA.com on vouchers is now broken in the wiki. Does anyone know where to find that now. Nothing is coming up on this via google.

From the ancient FlyerGuide version, and I think still accurate.

If the voucher amount is equal to or greater than the base fare amount - the following taxes do not apply: US1, US2, ZP and AY. *
US1 = Federal Excise Tax, 7.5%
US2 = International Transportation Tax (for an arrival/departure in the US, or for a segment to/from AK/HI; both may apply if an international trip stops over in AK/HI)
ZP = US Flight Segment Tax
AY = September 11 Security Fee
If the voucher amount is less than the base fare - all taxes apply except the adjustment of the 7.5% U.S. tax. (That is to say, the US1 tax should be adjusted to reflect 7.5% of the amount actually paid in cash, rather than the full amount.)
XF, the Passenger Facility Charge for most airports, always applies regardless of the voucher.

(A corollary of the above is that all else equal it's better to fully than partially apply since various of these don't prorate.)

SpeedRicer Mar 14, 2016 6:36 pm

Is it taking a lot longer now for vouchers to be mailed?

I vaguely remember getting paper vouchers in about 5-7 days after they were issued for flight changes, etc. On my last itinerary, the refunds department mentioned it would take 4-8 weeks and sure enough, it's about 5 weeks and still no sign of the voucher.

Anyone else seeing these longer delivery times?

maverick17 Mar 16, 2016 2:22 am

Originally Posted by SpeedRicer (Post 26333075)
Is it taking a lot longer now for vouchers to be mailed?

I vaguely remember getting paper vouchers in about 5-7 days after they were issued for flight changes, etc. On my last itinerary, the refunds department mentioned it would take 4-8 weeks and sure enough, it's about 5 weeks and still no sign of the voucher.

Anyone else seeing these longer delivery times?

I have only had one voucher. Feb 2015 cancellation due to weather, voucher issued June 2015.

slice Mar 30, 2016 9:02 pm

Any speculation as to how the elimination of AA.com holds may impact ticketing with vouchers? I liked the convenience of first putting something on hold to think about it, then calling to set it up for the voucher if I wanted to go ahead and ticket.

I guess I'll no longer have the luxury of holding. I suppose I can just call and put it to ticket pending, and then cancel if I change my mind, but that's of course more time/effort.

charlesonmission Mar 31, 2016 5:15 am

We just used the last of our $1,600 in vouchers from 1 ticket initially, and then a second ticket from the leftover funds. Here are the highlights of my experience.
1. The 1st ticket was handled by an agent on the phone that never had done one before. It took 50 minutes to book. She didn't know about not all taxes being applicable and wouldn't take them off.
2. I mailed the voucher to FL. I did make copies beforehand, but did not send it certified.
3. After about 3 weeks, the ticket was issued.
4. Rest of voucher amount was sent back, but was increased as they adjusted for taxes, I believe.
5. Second ticket - agent on phone knew how to do it, but... you can NOT use an AA gift card for the balance.
6. Rather than mailing the voucher to FL, I walked over to Reagan airport which is right next to where I live. It was not easy to get the ticket issued. I waited in line for one hour. Luckily, I got an agent that knew how to do this. However, this was her quote "you are lucky you got me otherwise you would have been stuck!".

In summary, despite the gate agents saying these are good as cash, they are reasonably difficult to use and there are some obscure restrictions (like the one on not being able to use their own AA gift cards for balance payments). I'm still glad we waited in Miami all day for the $1,600. However, I would definitely take into account the effort of using these if you volunteer to be bumped.