FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Transportation e- and paper Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/578068-transportation-e-paper-voucher-vouchers-mco-faq-master-thread.html)

wrp96 Feb 8, 2016 1:19 pm

The voucher can be used to buy AA codeshare flights on other airlines. But it can't be used as currency for products offered by other airlines, like upgrades, seat assignments etc.

One thing though are you really sure you aren't on an AA operated flight? I didn't think AS flew MIA-LAX.

Fitch Feb 9, 2016 9:23 am

My bad. Alaska sold me the ticket but it is indeed an AA flight operated by AA :)

SkyTeam777 Feb 16, 2016 10:00 am

I had a $1,000 VDB voucher...used it for a partial ticket of around $100 and was sent another paper voucher for the residual (so archaic). Tried to call to use the remainder for another ticket and agent said it is showing USED (well, it was used partially, but has $900 left) which she cannot see. I have the paper voucher showing the residual amount, and it is only five months after the VDB so it is not expired. Twitter and EXP desk can't seem to figure out what to do...anyone else been in a situation where the residual amount no longer appears to be usable? I don't want to give up the $900 AA owes me! A little concerned, wish there was an experienced AAngel I can call since the EXP desk doesnt seem to know what to do.

Exec_Plat Feb 16, 2016 11:27 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 (Post 26193856)
I had a $1,000 VDB voucher...used it for a partial ticket of around $100 and was sent another paper voucher for the residual (so archaic). Tried to call to use the remainder for another ticket and agent said it is showing USED (well, it was used partially, but has $900 left) which she cannot see. I have the paper voucher showing the residual amount, and it is only five months after the VDB so it is not expired. Twitter and EXP desk can't seem to figure out what to do...anyone else been in a situation where the residual amount no longer appears to be usable? I don't want to give up the $900 AA owes me! A little concerned, wish there was an experienced AAngel I can call since the EXP desk doesnt seem to know what to do.

I had an issue with a paper voucher. Had to send in the paper to an address in Florida. travel Agent handled this. TA was able to ticket, then when they received and verified the paper it was OK. Had to be done quickly as they couldn't hold the ticketing process open. his agency help desk assisted.

I wonder if they made an error with the exchange history for that original IDB- forgetting to document the 900/100 split.

You might also go to a ticket counter with all the documents- original IDB; ticket that you used 100 on, etc

SkyTeam777 Feb 16, 2016 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat (Post 26194236)
I had an issue with a paper voucher. Had to send in the paper to an address in Florida. travel Agent handled this. TA was able to ticket, then when they received and verified the paper it was OK. Had to be done quickly as they couldn't hold the ticketing process open. his agency help desk assisted.

I wonder if they made an error with the exchange history for that original IDB- forgetting to document the 900/100 split.

You might also go to a ticket counter with all the documents- original IDB; ticket that you used 100 on, etc

That sounds like exactly what happened...wish they could resolve it without the customer having to do so much work on it. Such an archaic process, I deserve another voucher for dealing with all of this! haha

djibouti Feb 17, 2016 11:21 am

Choice Plus voucher for price drop on same flight?

I bought a Choice Plus fare a few months ago. Today the price was briefly lower on the flight, and I called for a voucher. The agent was a HUACA type but for some dumb reason I didn't, and while going 3 rounds with her the price went back up:

Me: I'd like a voucher for the difference
Her: You'd have to pick a new flight
Me: OK, so what if we changed to another flight then back to this one
Her: You'd have to buy Choice Plus again which would be more than the difference
Me: That's clearly not true. I've already made one change on this reservation and the website is offering me another one without a change fee
Her: Please hold
5 minutes later price jumped back up.

Question for those in the know or with direct experience: does AA give voucher if the price drops on a Choice Plus fare? Wouldn't they do the same thing on a normal non-refundable fare if the difference was more than the $200 change fee?

I shot CR a note explaining and requesting a voucher for the amount but I'm not holding my breath.

djibouti Feb 17, 2016 11:28 am

Sidebar: I got a response within minutes saying no because the fare difference wasn't greater than the change fee (they're obviously ignoring the Choice Plus bit, but that's not surprising). But: 1) they responded quickly 2) you can now reply to CR e-mails again! This was probably covered elsewhere, but news to me.

SJC AA Feb 17, 2016 5:42 pm

I've received vouchers for fare differences on these fares many times (though not in the last year or so; I've stopped buying CP fares).

Thanh Le Feb 22, 2016 8:18 pm

I couldn't find it anywhere. I'm sure it's been asked. But can I upgrade my seats with a travel voucher?

Thanks.

21A Feb 24, 2016 8:47 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 (Post 26193856)

Maybe try ticketing at an airport counter? The residual $900 paper voucher is a negotiable bearer instrument, so if you show up with it in hand there should be no question of its validity.

seaskybound Feb 28, 2016 1:54 pm

Expiring VDB voucher

It has one year validity. Do I have to fly it within a year or purchase ticket is enough? Is it OK for codeshares? Can I ask to extend a voucher?

JDiver Feb 28, 2016 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by seaskybound (Post 26257172)
It has one year validity. Do I have to fly it within a year or purchase ticket is enough? Is it OK for codeshares? Can I ask to extend a voucher?

We have merged your query into the existing thread. Please read the wikipost at the top of the page, which answers both questions.

/Moderator

txrus Feb 29, 2016 8:34 am

Haven't had one of these for a long time, but called the EXP desk yesterday to use a paper voucher for a trip I have in Sept.

AAgent was adamant I had to mail the voucher vs. bringing it w/me to the airport next week & having the ticketing done in person.

I seem to recall the last time I had a paper voucher I brought it w/me to the airport & the TA took care of it, no issues.

Has something changed or was this just an ill-informed AAgent?

RogerD408 Feb 29, 2016 10:29 am

Originally Posted by txrus (Post 26260737)
Haven't had one of these for a long time, but called the EXP desk yesterday to use a paper voucher for a trip I have in Sept.

AAgent was adamant I had to mail the voucher vs. bringing it w/me to the airport next week & having the ticketing done in person.

I seem to recall the last time I had a paper voucher I brought it w/me to the airport & the TA took care of it, no issues.

Has something changed or was this just an ill-informed AAgent?

The only thing that has changed is more untrained AAgents on the phone, and at the airport for that matter. I find many TAs don't want to do them and claim they don't know how even though the instructions are on their terminals and a call to their help desk will walk them through the process.

I suspect it will be a year or two before things level out and the untrained either get trained or move on and the new additions will get the proper initiation. Merging two organizations that did things differently is always a frustrating situation for the customers. Especially since even some of the customers need retraining too.

seaskybound Feb 29, 2016 4:35 pm

The Wiki is referred to often here. I think it is missing clarity on:

1. Do you have to fly or enough to purchase ticket within one year validity
2. ways to extend the validity (a few threads have mentioned buy a very cheap ticket the delta will be refunded with a new voucher)