Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do people dislike CLT so much?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2024, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by vasantn
Yep. I still hate the new LGA. But resistance is futile.
For your resignation, you can watch the waterfall.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
I asked ChatGPT to chime in, and it did not disappoint:

(Verse 1)
In the heart of Carolina, where the planes touch the sky,
Sweaty masses of travelers, tired souls passing by,
In unfinished corridors, where the echoes ring loud,
We navigate the chaos, in this transient crowd.

(Chorus)
Oh Charlotte, Douglas, you're a maze of confusion,
Lost in your corridors, searching for a solution.
Rolling delays and nowhere to sit,
In this transient town, where patience is a requisite.

(Verse 2)
The departure boards flicker, teasing with hope,
But rolling delays leave us hanging on a tightrope.
With every passing minute, frustration grows strong,
In this labyrinth of uncertainty, where we don't belong.

(Chorus)

(Bridge)
From gate to gate, we wander in despair,
Seeking solace in the promise of open air.
But the seats are all taken, and the floors hard and cold,
In Charlotte, Douglas, where the weary unfold.

(Chorus)

(Outro)
So here we are, in this limbo we tread,
In Charlotte, Douglas, where weary souls are led.
But when the time comes and our wings take flight,
We'll bid adieu to this transient plight.
(For the curious, my search term was: "Write a song, in the style of Melissa Etheridge, that laments the difficulties of connecting between flights at the Charlotte Douglas International Airport," followed by "Include more detail about sweaty masses of travelers in unfinished corridors, rolling delays, and nowhere to sit.")
Old Feb 22, 2024, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP; SQ Gold
I avoid CLT/PHL like the plague. For east coast connections, DCA is my preferred airport by far. Both CLT/PHL suffer from the same old US Airways problems: they obviously try to squeeze every last dollar out of the passenger experience by minimizing costs. This is true for both AA (see lounges) and the airport authorities (see crowded gate areas, airport upkeep, restrooms, etc.).

Also, I find the legacy US mainline FAs to be rather churlish. At DCA you often fly on Republic or PSA and despite Republics historic operational ineptitudue, the FAs are at least friendly. As for PSA I think they have very well meaning FAs more often than not.
Spiff, DTWflyer, FAA1996 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP; SQ Gold
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I asked ChatGPT to chime in, and it did not disappoint:

(For the curious, my search term was: "Write a song, in the style of Melissa Etheridge, that laments the difficulties of connecting between flights at the Charlotte Douglas International Airport," followed by "Include more detail about sweaty masses of travelers in unfinished corridors, rolling delays, and nowhere to sit.")
this is amazing!
Old Feb 22, 2024, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
It feels like it is over capacity in almost every respect. Lounges are always crowded, the concourses are always crowded and very tough to move quickly through, you will usually encounter at least one non-moving travelator, there can be some very long taxis, and you often have to wait for a gate to free up. The C lounge is perpetually in some state of dysfunction (currently it's the temporary bar and grab and go food only). If you come in or go out of an E gate you're guaranteed a long walk. And there are no premium facilities for international travelers (Flagship Lounge, showers, etc).
Spiff, JJeffrey, jiburi and 9 others like this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by thedeeg
My criticisms with CLT are chiefly around its capacity and it being a bit run down. It was never designed to handle the sheer volume of people that it does, and that takes its toll.

That said, the way people go on about it, youd think it was the worst of the worst.

Ill take Charlotte as a home airport over a huge chunk of other airports. Big enough that it has direct flights to almost everywhere domestically, and decent connectivity internationally. But, crucially without a lot of the issues of bigger airports. Hourly parking for $26 per day. TSA is usually easy. Easy to walk between everywhere in the terminal. Landing internationally with global entry means with hand luggage, I can be off the plane and in the car within 15 mins of the door opening.
If CLT was my home airport, I probably wouldn't dislike it as much as I do. But if you are arriving at CLT from overseas with checked baggage and connecting domestically, it's right up there with EWR as one of the most miserable airports in the US.

I avoid CLT as aggressively as I avoid EWR and MIA when travelling internationally.
Spiff, ZenFlyer, thedeeg and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Avoiding CLT and MIA certainly then limits your flight options to much of the caribbean.
onanisland likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Avoiding CLT and MIA certainly then limits your flight options to much of the caribbean.
True; sometimes a Miami connection can't be helped.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
The AA lounges (using that term very generously in CLTs case) are abysmal.
Terminals are way too crowded.
Food choices are substandard.

On the good side, the Rental Car Center at CLT is super convenient - usually 20 minutes from landing to sailing down the freeway. By comparison, the bus ride itself at LAX is longer than the entire process at CLT, and dont even get me started on the MIA mover.
AndyPatterson likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 11:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
True, but since I no longer fly out of IAD/DCA, the Caribbean isn't high on my destination list.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 11:57 pm

Its an aviation planners nightmare. 3 north/south runways and a rarely used crosswind that blocks direct taxiway access to the hodge podge E concourse. Landing on 18R after a 30 min flight from a close by SE destination, one is often treated to a 20-25 min stop and go taxi to E. The usual route takes you around the outskirts of the D ramp where aircraft pushing back stall your progress. After deplaning you then start to deal with the less than stellar facilities and slow walkers as you run from E to your now tight connection in A.
oopsz, Gerbs, KRSW and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 1:40 am

Because:

1. way over capacity
2. poor flow between terminals
3. many times the moving sidewalks arent moving
4. Dingy and packed ACs
5. Reeks of LUS
Spiff, halls120, FAA1996 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 2:02 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
1. Far too overcrowded, both in the terminal and in the lounge. Echoing what others have said, transiting through any part of that airport other than the grand hallway is like trying to get past an offensive line.

2. I dont have to go through CLT that much, but Id say just once in my last ten flights through there was an early landing converted to an early arrival. At no other airport do I sit on the tarmac so often waiting for our gate to open. My girlfriend connects through CLT much more than I do and her experience is the same.

DFW is by far my preferred connection airport.
enviroian and spiritkat09 like this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by 777lover
Because:

5. Reeks of LUS
As opposed to DFW and MIA that reek of highly pAArAAsitic executives who can't come up with a basic strategy even today? LOL
fergiethefocus and hhdl like this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 2:14 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
My AA flights are (almost) always international connections. mostly Europe-West Coast.
- no premium lounges (unlike JFK, DFW, MIA)
- no premium transcon product (A321T, the occasional widebody 773 MIA-LAX).
Spiff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.