Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Didn’t AA Institute cheaper one-way pricing a while ago?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2023, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton

My Google flights was sending me prices for an upcoming trip to Israel. It showed that the round-trip fare to Israel for business has dropped to $5000 per person For the dates I have this summer.

Since I already booked on el Al, I just chose the original aa flight one way and the price is double. So both on Google. and on AA, it’s literally double to go one way and half price to go round trip.

I thought AA pricing was similar to JetBlue these days, in that pricing is per direction, no?
Old May 3, 2023, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by the phoenix
My Google flights was sending me prices for an upcoming trip to Israel. It showed that the round-trip fare to Israel for business has dropped to $5000 per person For the dates I have this summer.

Since I already booked on el Al, I just chose the original aa flight one way and the price is double. So both on Google. and on AA, it’s literally double to go one way and half price to go round trip.

I thought AA pricing was similar to JetBlue these days, in that pricing is per direction, no?
No. Pricing has always varied by route, season, time competition, and a host of other factors. While many short haul domestic routes may price a one-way at half the roundtrip fare, most long haul international routes definitely do not.
the phoenix, _kurt and FAA1996 like this.
Old May 3, 2023, 7:44 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
For domestic flights the price to book two one ways is usually the same as the round trip ticket price

Not for international.flights
Horace and _kurt like this.
Old May 3, 2023, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by carlosdca
For domestic flights the price to book two one ways is usually the same as the round trip ticket price

Absolutely true for intercontinental tickets. Not often true for international flights to MX, CA and many Caribbean destinations
Old May 3, 2023, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton
Thanks, I didnt realize. Makes me appreciate google.flights more TBH.

I just found it odd that it was $10k one way but $5k for the roundtrip. Wild! Still blows my mind.

FWIW, I doubt it I would have changed, the AA aflight would have been on the 772 with the reverse herring bone rockers. I'm instead looking forward to El Al first time on a 787
Old May 3, 2023, 8:44 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Absolutely true for intercontinental tickets. Not often true for international flights to MX, CA and many Caribbean destinations
Not to be pedantic, but then you mean INTRAcontinental?
Old May 3, 2023, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
During the height of COVID -- probably fall 2020 through summer 2021 -- AA actually did have one-way pricing on (at least some) intercontinental markets. I had to fly LHR <-> US a few times during that period and always bought one-ways that were ~50-60% of typical RT pricing. Not sure when round-trip pricing with Saturday night stays came back, but seemed to correlate with when travel got back to 'normal' in 2022.
Old May 3, 2023, 9:55 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
During the height of COVID -- probably fall 2020 through summer 2021 -- AA actually did have one-way pricing on (at least some) intercontinental markets. I had to fly LHR <-> US a few times during that period and always bought one-ways that were ~50-60% of typical RT pricing. Not sure when round-trip pricing with Saturday night stays came back, but seemed to correlate with when travel got back to 'normal' in 2022.
Covid times were a different animal.
Let's talk about current pricing.
Old May 3, 2023, 11:51 am

Programs: AM Plat, UA Plat, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex Plat
For this reason, one way tickets can be a fantastic use of miles
the phoenix likes this.
Old May 3, 2023, 12:16 pm

Why not buy a roundtrip with a return that is almost a year away and use it for another trip to TLV?
the phoenix and skviolet98 like this.
Old May 3, 2023, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Originally Posted by safari ari
No, I think DataPlumber's post was confusing but correct. "Absolutely true" and "Not often true" referred to the statement "Not for international.flights". That is, "2 one ways != round trip" applies to intercontinental flights (as opposed to all international flights).
_kurt and nineworldseries like this.
Old May 3, 2023, 1:55 pm

I think this is to extract as high of fares as possible out of corporate flyers who are globetrotting for business. Similarly, it's usually far more expensive to book intercontinental round-trip flights that don't span a full week.

However, as I say this, I'm preparing for a business trip to Kazakhstan and Turkey next month that's booked on two separate tickets. I could not get AA or QR to book an open jaw trip from RNO-ALA then IST-RNO but did find reasonable one-way fares in J cabin. Outbound booked through AA (operated by QR) and return booked through QR. By reasonable, I mean still over $5,500 round, but not more than booking RT to/from Istanbul or Almaty.

I find the gulf carriers to be more reasonable with their one-way pricing.
the phoenix likes this.
Old May 3, 2023, 4:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by safari ari
Intracontinental would also include domestic flights and so would not be an appropriate term to use
Old May 3, 2023, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
JFK-LHR one way earlier this week was about ½ the round-trip price 👍
the phoenix likes this.
Old May 3, 2023, 9:58 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
For whatever reason JFK->EGE Roundtrips are routinely cheaper than 2 one ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.