Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Anyone understand why the “bonus miles” reward period is six months?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone understand why the “bonus miles” reward period is six months?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2023 | 11:02 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Would have been nice if there was a small number of miles you could pick good reaching 15k for those of us that wouldn’t get value from preferred seats/boarding.
Old Mar 11, 2023 | 1:21 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by donotblink
Would have been nice if there was a small number of miles you could pick good reaching 15k for those of us that wouldn’t get value from preferred seats/boarding.
Or at least they could allow us to apply the preferred seat coupons to a friend or family member's reservation when traveling separately
Old Mar 11, 2023 | 1:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by donotblink
I thought the same when the new 15K level was announced. Only gives something valuable to people earning status for the first time. If you had even Gold from the previous year's qualification, you already have the benefit and both choices, essentially. Some miles, a pair of MCE coupons, or maybe even an Admirals Club day pass would be nice options. Wishful thinking...but I can earn an AC day pass by spending $1,500 and crediting to Business Extra so not out of alignment with other rewards...
sushanna1 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2023 | 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Years on Site

Programs: IB+ Gold, TK E+, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
This! I have a trip to Spain in April with a high LP BAAH hotel stay booked. The return flight from Spain will push me over 60k LPs so I will technically be eligible for the 20% boost after the hotel stay is complete. However, given the lag in posting of BAAH LPs I might end up getting the 20% bonus anyway.
IIRC BAAH LPs post based on the check-in date. Of course, they will actually arrive to your accout after your flight has posted.

Considering how bad AA is with crediting the mileage bonuses based on what your status should have been at the time of flight, they will probably be equally bad and give you the 20% bonus on the hotel stay if it actually posts later than the flight. Curious to find out how it goes...
Old Mar 11, 2023 | 3:48 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by EJRofChicago
I thought the same when the new 15K level was announced. Only gives something valuable to people earning status for the first time. If you had even Gold from the previous year's qualification, you already have the benefit and both choices, essentially. Some miles, a pair of MCE coupons, or maybe even an Admirals Club day pass would be nice options. Wishful thinking...but I can earn an AC day pass by spending $1,500 and crediting to Business Extra so not out of alignment with other rewards...
For a non-status, flight-only member, 3k EQD (viz. the old Gold requirement) would correspond to 15k LP. It's likely that the rationale for this set of rewards is a carrot to maybe keep someone who dropped from Gold becoming a free agent (as well as to provide a moderate reward for an infrequent spender with some card spend).
CJ99 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2023 | 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
There's only 1 choice at 15k, and it sits there till end of this status year.
No reason to think it'll be any different at 60k for us to have to select ONE choice, either Avis OR hotel bonus

The first screenshot you shared shows that you get the boarding, plus you get to choose one more thing. The boarding is a benefit, not a choice.
Old Jun 26, 2023 | 10:03 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited

Sorry to necro an old thread.

Does anyone know if the 20% and 30% are able to stack? For example, if I hit 60k in July. then hit 100k in August, I theoretically have 5 months where I am supposed to receive both the 20% and the 30% bonus. If I book a BAAH for 100k LP in September, will I get both 20k and 30k bonus from the booking? Or does the 30% override the 20%?

If the 30% overrides the 20%, is there anywhere in the T&C that explicitly states this? I would think that one should be able to argue getting the full 50%, else it seems that people who achieve 100k in a shorter timespan get shafted on their usage of the timeframe for the 20% bonus.
Old Jun 26, 2023 | 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
This! I have a trip to Spain in April with a high LP BAAH hotel stay booked. The return flight from Spain will push me over 60k LPs so I will technically be eligible for the 20% boost after the hotel stay is complete. However, given the lag in posting of BAAH LPs I might end up getting the 20% bonus anyway.
BAAH posting and eligibility is based on check-in date. Good luck!
Old Jun 26, 2023 | 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Originally Posted by benyy
Sorry to necro an old thread.

Does anyone know if the 20% and 30% are able to stack? For example, if I hit 60k in July. then hit 100k in August, I theoretically have 5 months where I am supposed to receive both the 20% and the 30% bonus. If I book a BAAH for 100k LP in September, will I get both 20k and 30k bonus from the booking? Or does the 30% override the 20%?

If the 30% overrides the 20%, is there anywhere in the T&C that explicitly states this? I would think that one should be able to argue getting the full 50%, else it seems that people who achieve 100k in a shorter timespan get shafted on their usage of the timeframe for the 20% bonus.
You only get the higher one. (Source: I hit both within 1 day of another.)
Antarius likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2023 | 10:46 am

Originally Posted by wutlol
You only get the higher one. (Source: I hit both within 1 day of another.)
That's what I would expect, but I was wondering if there's anywhere in the T&C that explicitly states this? If I make a case to customer service that theoretically I should be earning both the 20% and the 30% (as seems to be the case within the T&C), how strong of a case would I have?

Current structure incentivizes users to delay hitting the 100k threshold for as long as possible, and punishes users for doing so, which is counter-intuitive and kind of annoying.

Edit: Nvm, I found it:

If the 30% Loyalty Point bonus is earned during the 185-day period that a member is earning the 20% Loyalty Point bonus, then their bonus will automatically increase from 20% to 30% on future purchases, and the 185-day period will restart. Members will not receive both bonuses at the same time

Last edited by benyy; Jun 26, 2023 at 10:55 am
Old Feb 29, 2024 | 3:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE, AA ExecPlat
If the six month window started say Nov 1, 2023 for the 30 percent bonus, will it continue to apply after March 1, 2024 when the new qualifications year starts? Or does everything reset and new BAAH bookings don't get the bonus?
Old Feb 29, 2024 | 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited2M15 Years on Site

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by psiachp
If the six month window started say Nov 1, 2023 for the 30 percent bonus, will it continue to apply after March 1, 2024 when the new qualifications year starts? Or does everything reset and new BAAH bookings don't get the bonus?
My understanding is that it continues. You get six months, not six months or rest of membership year, whatever ends first.
Old Feb 29, 2024 | 6:50 pm
20 Years on Site

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
Is there an easy way to determine when the six months are up? I recall generally, but not exactly, when I crossed 60k last year.
Old Feb 29, 2024 | 7:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EP
Originally Posted by CJ99
Is there an easy way to determine when the six months are up? I recall generally, but not exactly, when I crossed 60k last year.
Check to see if you got an email from them on the date (or very close to it) referencing the threshold.

Mine says in the subject line: "Michael, you unlocked the 100,000 Loyalty Point Reward level". I'm not sure if the date the email was received is or isn't the exact date the benefit was applied, but should be closer than other ways of guessing.
notquiteaff and econ like this.
Old Feb 29, 2024 | 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited2M15 Years on Site

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mikeFT
Check to see if you got an email from them on the date (or very close to it) referencing the threshold.

Mine says in the subject line: "Michael, you unlocked the 100,000 Loyalty Point Reward level". I'm not sure if the date the email was received is or isn't the exact date the benefit was applied, but should be closer than other ways of guessing.
Right.

According to my spreadsheet showing all transactions in chronological transaction order I passed the 60k threshold on 1/7. I received the email on 1/12 and all eligible transactions from that date onwards have posted with the 20% bonus. I think what happens is that on 1/12 my LP counter passed 60k, and thus the award was triggered, but in the following days some earlier shopping and simply miles transactions posted that moved the 60k LP yard stick to 1/7, but AA didn’t retroactive adjust all the transactions between 1/7 and 1/12. Which, I suppose, is fine, as I just get a few extra days in July - the 20% will end 7/12 instead of 7/7. Whether that those July days are more beneficial than the January days I don’t know yet, of course.
CJ99 and mikeFT like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.