FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   SWU upgrades on BA are live (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2094091-swu-upgrades-ba-live.html)

UncleLeo Jan 17, 2023 7:52 pm

There have been suggestions here and elsewhere that a connecting segment on AA metal is required in order to use an SWU on BA metal, but what exactly is the source for that? The T&Cs state only the following with respect to BA: "Upgrades are valid only on scheduled flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle offering a First or Business Class cabin for travel, or on British Airways marketed and operated transatlantic flights. Not valid on codeshare flights, except for flights marketed by American and operated by British Airways."

Not inconsistently, AA's webpage states: "Systemwide upgrades can be used for one-way travel for up to 3 flight segments on British Airways marketed and operated flights or British Airways operated flights marketed by American. At least one American marketed flight must be in the itinerary to be eligible." An AA-marketed flight would include a flight on BA metal sold and ticketed by AA under a codeshare, no? I would agree that this is a clear limitation, but not one requiring a connection on actual AA metal in order to use the SWU on a BA-operated TATL flight. Am I wrong?

golfer20 Jan 17, 2023 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by UncleLeo (Post 34934653)
There have been suggestions here and elsewhere that a connecting segment on AA metal is required in order to use an SWU on BA metal, but what exactly is the source for that? The T&Cs state only the following with respect to BA: "Upgrades are valid only on scheduled flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle offering a First or Business Class cabin for travel, or on British Airways marketed and operated transatlantic flights. Not valid on codeshare flights, except for flights marketed by American and operated by British Airways."

Not inconsistently, AA's webpage states: "Systemwide upgrades can be used for one-way travel for up to 3 flight segments on British Airways marketed and operated flights or British Airways operated flights marketed by American. At least one American marketed flight must be in the itinerary to be eligible." An AA-marketed flight would include a flight on BA metal sold and ticketed by AA under a codeshare, no? I would agree that this is a clear limitation, but not one requiring a connection on actual AA metal in order to use the SWU on a BA-operated TATL flight. Am I wrong?

I was able to upgrade BUD-LHR-PHL, all BA operated and AA marketed, from J to F.

ryanbriar Jan 17, 2023 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by DreAAmliner (Post 34934650)
Just spoke to a rep on the reservations desk. She told me that they cannot see if a BA flight has SWU inventory until i have a record locator (hold or purchased). Do we think this is correct?

I have been told this as well (including one situation where one leg was visible pre-booking when on hold and the other was not until immediately after purchase). I go in prepared with the segments I know are confirmable and it has worked out.

Originally Posted by golfer20 (Post 34934827)
I was able to upgrade BUD-LHR-PHL, all BA operated and AA marketed, from J to F.

Right. Most of my BA upgrades have been this fact pattern (no AA-operated segments). I think the bottom line is that they don’t want you applying SWUs to pure BA reservations and instead want it “touching” AA at some point (whether it be an operated flight, a codeshare or a JV long-haul route).

rucksack Jan 18, 2023 6:31 am

Originally Posted by DreAAmliner (Post 34934650)
Just spoke to a rep on the reservations desk. She told me that they cannot see if a BA flight has SWU inventory until i have a record locator (hold or purchased). Do we think this is correct?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ff02f68e40.png

We do not.

ER-One Jan 18, 2023 7:42 am

Originally Posted by rucksack (Post 34935529)

Interesting. were you asking about Y->J or W->J?

rucksack Jan 18, 2023 8:18 am

Originally Posted by DreAAmliner (Post 34935721)
Interesting. were you asking about Y->J or W->J?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...288094f2fd.png
Y → J. For the record, the information provided by the agent here is *not* correct according to the published SWU rules. But there are several reports of AA overlooking this policy and confirming upgrades straight from Y to J on BA metal. I suspect many agents are unfamiliar with the rules since upgrades with SWUs on BA metal are new.

enviroian Jan 18, 2023 8:24 am

Originally Posted by rucksack (Post 34935807)
Y → J.

You can't. You need to buy PE and upgrade to J from there.

rucksack Jan 18, 2023 8:29 am

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 34935827)
You can't. You need to buy PE and upgrade to J from there.

Did you even read my post?

enviroian Jan 18, 2023 8:37 am

Originally Posted by rucksack (Post 34935840)

Yes

BlooJoo Jan 18, 2023 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by rucksack (Post 34935840)

I did, and it's clear they're talking about AA metal.

rucksack Jan 18, 2023 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by BlooJoo (Post 34936720)
I did, and it's clear they're talking about AA metal.

That wasn't clear to me. If they're talking about AA metal, they answered a question I didn't ask.

I agree that AA's policy is clear that you cannot upgrade directly from Y to J on BA flights (where W is the next class of service). But the reality of the matter is that many AA agents don't seem to know the rules and there aren't system limitations in place yet to enforce them. There are numerous reports here of people getting upgrades confirmed straight from Y to J on BA metal.

BlooJoo Jan 18, 2023 3:44 pm

Agent wrong, agent confused, or you confused. One of these is correct.

NickRivas Jan 18, 2023 3:46 pm

Can confirm some agents are “clueless” in a good way. I was able to use a SWU to LAX with BA 3 weeks ago. From Y to J on a 4 class BA 777, as if PE didnt exist.

BlooJoo Jan 18, 2023 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by NickRivas (Post 34937115)
Can confirm some agents are “clueless” in a good way. I was able to use a SWU to LAX with BA 3 weeks ago. From Y to J on a 4 class BA 777, as if PE didnt exist.

Awful.

Dave Noble Jan 18, 2023 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by BlooJoo (Post 34937106)
Agent wrong, agent confused, or you confused. One of these is correct.

It is clear from https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...e-upgrades.jsp that upgrades on BA are supposed to be from economy to premium economy, premium ecpnomy to business and business to 1st

Any agent processing an upgrade on BA by 2 cabins is making a mistake