FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   SWU upgrades on BA are live (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2094091-swu-upgrades-ba-live.html)

ER-One May 5, 2023 8:22 am

LP Calculation Data Point:

Recently returned from an AA ticket:
DEN-LHR-XXX, with the DEN-LHR on BA metal. SWU cleared at booking
XXX-LHR-DFW with LHR-DFW on AA metal. SWU cleared at booking

BA Metal posted as "Method: Distance"
AA Metal posted as "Method Fare".

By having the BA flight post as distance, i thankfully netted more than double the LPs as compared to if the entire ticket was based on fare.
Additionally, the fare AA seemed to have attributed to the AA flight was ~75% of the total fare (ex taxes).

Has this been common with using SWUs on BA metal?

JJeffrey May 5, 2023 8:43 am

Originally Posted by DreAAmliner (Post 35226248)
LP Calculation Data Point:

Recently returned from an AA ticket:
DEN-LHR-XXX, with the DEN-LHR on BA metal. SWU cleared at booking
XXX-LHR-DFW with LHR-DFW on AA metal. SWU cleared at booking

BA Metal posted as "Method: Distance"
AA Metal posted as "Method Fare".

By having the BA flight post as distance, i thankfully netted more than double the LPs as compared to if the entire ticket was based on fare.
Additionally, the fare AA seemed to have attributed to the AA flight was ~75% of the total fare (ex taxes).

Has this been common with using SWUs on BA metal?

When using SWU's on BA they do need to reticket it as the BA prime flight number, and these will always post by distance.

So for cheaper flights this could net a nice little boost in LP's earned vs. fare method, but for more expensive flights you could see a reduction.

And if AA attributed 75% of the fare to the return portion then it sounds like that was just a much more expensive fare basis, which can happen.

enviroian May 17, 2023 6:22 pm

I’m getting mixed answers from AA on SWU SOP for BA flights. Sounds to me like AA or BA did a pretty shotty job on communicating the procedure.

To confirm a SWU on a BA flight at booking I need to:

1. Do a reward search and find a BA flight that has J or is it PE availability?

2. Based on the answer to that question, call AA to buy the BA flight in PE to get the SWU to clear into business. Is this correct?

JJeffrey May 17, 2023 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 35258559)
I’m getting mixed answers from AA on SWU SOP for BA flights. Sounds to me like AA or BA did a pretty shotty job on communicating the procedure.

To confirm a SWU on a BA flight at booking I need to:

1. Do a reward search and find a BA flight that has J or is it PE availability?

2. Based on the answer to that question, call AA to buy the BA flight in PE to get the SWU to clear into business. Is this correct?

If you're trying to upgrade into business then you need business award availability on the BA flight in order to use a SWU. Do an award search at aa.com for this first.

Once you find the business award space, your paid ticket must be in Premium Economy to upgrade to business. Buy this at aa.com then call to apply the SWU, or just book the paid ticket over the phone with AA on the same call, doesn't really matter.

FLL88 May 17, 2023 7:05 pm

After you get the upgrade, do your self a favor and then call BA and make sure the ticket was sent over properly from AA.
in March, I did this and had an issue checkin at LHR. Spent almost 1 hour on the phone with the EXP help desk trying to resolve.
AA had not sent the updated ticket to BA. BA could see my reservation for the C class, but did not have the payment.
original ticket was on AA ticket
I will always make one more call in the future to confirm with the metal carrier!

D3Kingg May 18, 2023 1:33 am

BA First The World’s Greatest Business Class

It’s a right of passage. Spend 18 hrs in Club World and then you’ll understand BA First. A J to F upgrade with an SWU would be worthwhile .

haricharan May 18, 2023 5:36 am

upgrade on BA ticket stock?

Hi,
any data points if possible to upgrade BA flights ticketed on BA stock as long as there is one AA segment (domestic) on the itinerary?
Thanks!

JohnDCA May 18, 2023 10:11 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 35226303)
When using SWU's on BA they do need to reticket it as the BA prime flight number

Does this re-ticketing cause any issues if only outbound is currently available for a Systemwide Upgrade and then return becomes available at some point down the line (i.e., AA codeshare on BA, eligible for upgrade, re-ticketed to BA prime flight number and unable to upgrade return)?

ewh9 May 19, 2023 1:52 pm

"Full fare economy" to use SWU to upgrade to Club Europe?

I purchased a ticket for JFK-LHR-BCN via AA (economy fare, not basic economy). I am applying a SWU for JFK-LHR and also attempted to upgrade the LHR-BCN leg on BA. (Business award space is available on the app.) The agent put me on hold and said the desk she spoke to told her the LHR-BCN upgrade wasn't possible because the ticket wasn't "full fare economy." I will call back later and try again, but-- this statement is incorrect, right? Thanks.

JJeffrey May 19, 2023 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by JohnDCA (Post 35260287)
Does this re-ticketing cause any issues if only outbound is currently available for a Systemwide Upgrade and then return becomes available at some point down the line (i.e., AA codeshare on BA, eligible for upgrade, re-ticketed to BA prime flight number and unable to upgrade return)?

No issues that I'm aware of, using SWU's on BA is an option whether it's ticketed as the AA or BA flight number so it shouldn't matter.

JJeffrey May 19, 2023 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by ewh9 (Post 35263359)
I purchased a ticket for JFK-LHR-BCN via AA (economy fare, not basic economy). I am applying a SWU for JFK-LHR and also attempted to upgrade the LHR-BCN leg on BA. (Business award space is available on the app.) The agent put me on hold and said the desk she spoke to told her the LHR-BCN upgrade wasn't possible because the ticket wasn't "full fare economy." I will call back later and try again, but-- this statement is incorrect, right? Thanks.

Yep it's of course incorrect, HUCA. Upgrading with a SWU doesn't have any fare class restrictions, but some agents still get this confused with the legacy mileage upgrades on BA, which do require full fares.

Flying for Fun May 19, 2023 3:59 pm

And you have confirmed there is J award space availability on the flight in question? SWUs on BA are a one-cabin upgrade. On a two-cabin aircraft the next cabin up from Main is Business. I have had no issues with upgrades when the TATL is in AA P class and the Main cabin onward flight is in H class, which isn't full-fare.

James

iadisgreat May 19, 2023 7:14 pm

Deleted

cova May 19, 2023 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by ewh9 (Post 35263359)

I have ticket on JFK-LHR-LIS and confirmed WU J on the AA segment and was also confirmed in BA (european) business class (empty middle, in front, food)

ryanbriar May 20, 2023 8:42 am

Change in Policy?

I think the policy may have recently changed behind the scenes, and for the worse.

I set up a PNR with a round trip on BA in J — AA codeshare with no AA operated segments. Shouldn’t be an issue. I booked these flights because I saw confirmable J to F space.

When I went to apply the SWU, I was told that because I don’t have an AA marketed and operated flight in the PNR, they couldn’t process the upgrade. This contradicts the website (screenshot below) and past experience as there is no AA-operated requirement.

The first agent basically said that I needed a marketed flight. I said yes and that is why I booked it as a codeshare... I called back and the second agent agreed that what the help desk was telling her contradicted the written policy on the website.

I am going to email seeking clarity, but FYI to those that may be thinking of booking or having issues with applying SWUs. This would be a big blow to the program.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...149742d6d6.png