FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA Flight Loyalty Points based on distance? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2084237-aa-flight-loyalty-points-based-distance.html)

jacket1 Jun 23, 2022 8:11 pm

AA Flight Loyalty Points based on distance?

I had a last-minute hop from IND-ORD. Booked at aa.com, 001 ticket, M class. After the flight, the loyalty points posted a mere 320 “based on distance.” I called the service desk to see why the fare wasn’t used (the fare basis would have netted 3,500 loyalty points). The first reply was, “Your trip was too short,” to which I caught myself laughing out loud. Probing further led to more bizarre answers before a long period on hold. I finally was able to get a request to reprocess, and the correction posted today.

Anyone else having AA flights on AA tickets posting based on distance? Any guess to what is causing the fluke (so others can watch out)?

redtop43 Jun 24, 2022 7:48 am

I had a trip in March for a $300 fare which posted "based on distance" that got me about 14,000 points. (That included a cabin bonus, because on the return I was upgraded, but they needed volunteers, and I could see there were F seats available the next day so I made my exchange contingent on being upgraded the next day on the same flight I was already upgraded on that day, but to upgrade me the GA booked me into J class, so it was like a paid J fare.) I have no idea why that happened, but of course I was quite happy as it would have been more like 3K LPs and RDM's otherwise.

PTahCha Jun 24, 2022 9:59 am

Is this an one-way or round-trip? If it's round-trip, you may need to wait until the trip is completed to verify whether all miles/points were awarded correctly.

jacket1 Jun 24, 2022 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha (Post 34365471)
Is this an one-way or round-trip? If it's round-trip, you may need to wait until the trip is completed to verify whether all miles/points were awarded correctly.

It was a one way. It was eventually credited correctly after a phone call and a reprocess, but it could have snuck by if I didn’t pay attention.

Alex_I Jun 24, 2022 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by jacket1 (Post 34363908)
I had a last-minute hop from IND-ORD. Booked at aa.com, 001 ticket, M class. After the flight, the loyalty points posted a mere 320 “based on distance.” I called the service desk to see why the fare wasn’t used (the fare basis would have netted 3,500 loyalty points). The first reply was, “Your trip was too short,” to which I caught myself laughing out loud. Probing further led to more bizarre answers before a long period on hold. I finally was able to get a request to reprocess, and the correction posted today.

Anyone else having AA flights on AA tickets posting based on distance? Any guess to what is causing the fluke (so others can watch out)?

- My wife flew RDU-CMI roundrrip booked by a travel agent for ca. $1,100 in coach. Her incoming aircraft was delayed and she was eventually rebooked through DFW instead of ORD. Her flights were posted as distance based. She asked AA customer service to review and the miles/LPs were reposted as fare based.

ryanbriar Jun 25, 2022 10:04 am

I had a semi-complex booking about a month ago with several modifications due to schedule changes on BAs end, and there was a SWU applied. It was originally booked through Amex as well.

The flights began to post as distance and the return was “pending review” for about a week per the Executive Liaison desk. Email support originally said because it was a bulk fare (not true) so I pushed back with an attached receipt / note that the PNR was heavily modified so the details probably got dropped. The agent agreed that it should have been based on fare and updated all segments :tu: If it hadn’t gone through, I would have been short 15k LPs.

VegasGambler Jun 25, 2022 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by ryanbriar (Post 34368337)
I had a semi-complex booking about a month ago with several modifications due to schedule changes on BAs end, and there was a SWU applied. It was originally booked through Amex as well.

The flights began to post as distance and the return was “pending review” for about a week per the Executive Liaison desk. Email support originally said because it was a bulk fare (not true) so I pushed back with an attached receipt / note that the PNR was heavily modified so the details probably got dropped. The agent agreed that it should have been based on fare and updated all segments :tu: If it hadn’t gone through, I would have been short 15k LPs.

When your segments started to post as distance, did they post according to your originally purchased fare bucket or the upgraded bucket after the SWU was applied?

ryanbriar Jun 26, 2022 1:21 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 34368650)
When your segments started to post as distance, did they post according to your originally purchased fare bucket or the upgraded bucket after the SWU was applied?

My BA F segment posted in F not A (booking was in A, but I think things got changed up as part of the various re-issuances), and my SWU’d AA F segment posted in A not I.

jeffaahh Jun 26, 2022 8:06 pm

Hello all, first time poster here.

Yesterday I finished a RT from BOS to SGN. 4 of 5 segments were on JAL. It posted at 52k LP’s, as a C fare (business), instead of the 85k listed when I booked. It seems it’s based on miles not the price, if I’m interpreting the Million Miler total correctly. When I called today the agent could see the correct amount listed when booked, but told me I had to call the AAdvantage desk when they open Mon morning to get it fixed.

guv1976 Jun 26, 2022 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by jeffaahh (Post 34372379)
Hello all, first time poster here.

Yesterday I finished a RT from BOS to SGN. 4 of 5 segments were on JAL. It posted at 52k LP’s, as a C fare (business), instead of the 85k listed when I booked. It seems it’s based on miles not the price, if I’m interpreting the Million Miler total correctly. When I called today the agent could see the correct amount listed when booked, but told me I had to call the AAdvantage desk when they open Mon morning to get it fixed.

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

For travel on JL-coded segments, you earn Loyalty Points and redeemable miles based on this chart:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp

Were your JL-operated segments JL-coded, or AA-coded?