Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

500-mile upgrades / stickers converting to Loyalty Points; discussion, options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

500-mile upgrades / stickers converting to Loyalty Points; discussion, options

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2022, 11:15 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
FYI- I’m PP and got the 5k offer.
Old May 31, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
FYI- I’m PP and got the 5k offer.
Sigh... Can a fellow Plt confirm that they did not receive the 5k offer so I can verify I didn't miss out on a great RDM opportunity.
Old May 31, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
I just spoke with Aadvantage Customer Service as a Gold with 17 e500's (not sure how many "paid" vs. "earned"). Representative said I would receive an email option for a refund or redeemable miles. Not sure the amount of redeemable miles but I doubt it will be the 5,000 (although it might be). Even if only 2 were paid e500's, I'd be happy with an extra 10K redeemable miles. I'll report back after I receive the email.
Old May 31, 2022, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Okay, I just got off the phone with the Advantage desk. I called to ask what options I had for converting my 27 500-mi upgrades:

1. She gave me the standard answer about them being converted to LP's.
2. I then asked if there were other options, since the LP's were not that useful to me while RDM's would be a much better option.
3. Her response was that this was her 2nd call in a row asking the same thing, and she would note on my account to have someone from their "resolution" desk contact me about what they might be able to do.
4. She did say that she had heard that some had gotten conversions to RDM's, but she didn't know how it was being done.
5. Interestingly, the phrasing she used was that I would be contacted in the next day or 2 with "an offer".

Thus it appears they have at least some sort of process involving options other than LP's, but have not advertised it officially, requiring a call-in.
Now to wait for my "offer"!
Okay, so I never received any communication from AA about this.
I just called them again, and this time I was told that a mileage conversion would only be for purchased e500's, and not for any that were earned. Earned ones could only be converted to Loyalty Points.

Boo.
Old May 31, 2022, 1:24 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Per the thread, you have to call and then wait for them to email. It took 15 days. Be patient. in my case, the call only took ten minutes.

You simply won’t know what your offer is until you ask. Pointless to speculate here.
Old May 31, 2022, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jcatman
I telephoned AAdvantage Customer Service today. Told the telephone representative I wanted to see conversion options for the paid "stickers" (only 5 out of 60).

Representative told me I'd receive Loyalty Points for all of the stickers. I responded that I saw online posts indicating additional options available if requested. He then promptly confirmed the number of paid stickers; my email address; my preferred method of communication. He said I would hear back with options in about two weeks.
I can confirm that this is exactly how the process worked for me. Thank you for sharing this
Old Jun 3, 2022, 8:34 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
When are they converting these? It's close to 4 months, and just realized I've had stickers deducted from my account from flying with a companion. Why announce this and not actually have a timeframe or continue to sell/deduct?
Old Jun 3, 2022, 8:35 am

They said it will happen late in the year, and we’re still in Q2.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 8:36 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

I would imagine they were nice enough to announce it ahead of time so that people don’t load up on stickers and then get stuck with them.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 11:01 am
mk1

Programs: KE Morning Calm; AA Plat
Originally Posted by mk1
I called and the AAdvantage desk sent the three requests back to refunds for further review and reprocessing. Kind of frustrating that it took 47 minutes on the phone without a final resolution (not counting the call-back wait which was only about an hour), but the agent seemed truly interested in trying to help so I will give credit there. I'll give a few more days, but may have to escalate it or open a dispute with my credit card.
Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
Sigh... Can a fellow Plt confirm that they did not receive the 5k offer so I can verify I didn't miss out on a great RDM opportunity.
Plat here, eventually got the email per my request and was offered a refund, voucher, 250 loyalty points, or 5K miles per purchased 500-mile upgrade. Ended up taking the miles.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Well, apparently only 1 of my 55 was paid for.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Emailed general AAdvantage customer service about 3 weeks ago (never made any phone calls). They replied in a few days that someone from AAdvantage department would get back to me within two weeks. Here is the offer I received today via email:

Based on our internal records, 12 of your 16 unused 500-mile upgrades
were purchased. While your complimentary upgrades will be automatically
converted to 250 Loyalty Points each later this year, we can offer you
the following refund options for the 12 purchased and unused 500-mile
upgrades:

A. 3,000 Loyalty Points (250 Loyalty Points x 12 purchased 500-mile
upgrades)
B. 60,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles(5,000 bonus miles x 12 purchased
500-mile upgrades)
C. Travel Voucher of $480 (the paid amount associated with your 12
purchased 500-mile upgrades)
D. Refund of $480 to the original form of payment or check depending on
when your upgrades were purchased

Of course I chose option B
355F1 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
Emailed general AAdvantage customer service about 3 weeks ago (never made any phone calls). They replied in a few days that someone from AAdvantage department would get back to me within two weeks. Here is the offer I received today via email:

Based on our internal records, 12 of your 16 unused 500-mile upgrades
were purchased. While your complimentary upgrades will be automatically
converted to 250 Loyalty Points each later this year, we can offer you
the following refund options for the 12 purchased and unused 500-mile
upgrades:

A. 3,000 Loyalty Points (250 Loyalty Points x 12 purchased 500-mile
upgrades)
B. 60,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles(5,000 bonus miles x 12 purchased
500-mile upgrades)
C. Travel Voucher of $480 (the paid amount associated with your 12
purchased 500-mile upgrades)
D. Refund of $480 to the original form of payment or check depending on
when your upgrades were purchased

Of course I chose option B
Why would anyone choose a travel voucher over a refund?
LadyShiva likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by anabolism
Why would anyone choose a travel voucher over a refund?
A lot of us bought these with AMEX cards that provide an airline fee credit. If we get a refund to the original form of payment, AMEX might reverse the fee credit as well.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 12:39 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
Originally Posted by mk1
Plat here, eventually got the email per my request and was offered a refund, voucher, 250 loyalty points, or 5K miles per purchased 500-mile upgrade. Ended up taking the miles.
Got the follow up email about 15 minutes ago with the RDM option. Clearly, the agent I spoke to wasn't aware of some of the alternative options for purchased 500-mile upgrades. The RDMs were a no-brainer seeing as buying 30,000 miles outright costs $960 vs. the $240 I spent for 6 of the upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.