Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

500-mile upgrades / stickers converting to Loyalty Points; discussion, options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

500-mile upgrades / stickers converting to Loyalty Points; discussion, options

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2022, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by BDL2STL2PVG
Do you know how to determine if the certificates are paid or earned? I can only determine the total and recent activity via aa.com I assume that they were FIFO, so most or all of the earned ones were used, but not certain.
When you call AAdvantage Customer Service they will be able to tell you right away. I don't know of any way to check online yourself.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by BDL2STL2PVG
Do you know how to determine if the certificates are paid or earned? I can only determine the total and recent activity via aa.com I assume that they were FIFO, so most or all of the earned ones were used, but not certain.
You can search your email for "Stickerless Upgrade" and it will pull up all your purchase receipts all the way back, if you have not deleted those emails. However, keep in mind that some of these you may have already used. I found a several purchased ones in my email, and I knew that at least 1-3 were not used (one was a relatively recent purchase, two were from 2019). Indeed, the most recent one was my only paid one that was unused.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HankAAFlyer
as a lifetime PLT, the e500 conversion to LPs does kinda sting, and had been saving my earned e500's as someone mentioned in an earlier post to "not compete with everyone" Of course, my travel patterns tend to be during peak travel days (Thursdays/Sundays/Mondays), so never could use the e500's even when I wanted to. Do wish there was another conversion upgrade to something "tangible" vs LPs, as LPs are useless to folks with lifetime GLD or PLT. I do wish there was an option to convert some amount of e500's to a SWU (like 30 or 40 e500s to a single SWU?) as RDMs aren't on the table. One can dream lol.
Originally Posted by njvandy
I understand the sentiment but don't agree with it.

AA is being very generous in my view by offering 5k RDM for paid e500 stickers.
As lifetime PLT myself, who doesn't fly for work, I also consider the e500 conversion to LPs very annoying.

I don't remember ever purchasing e500s; if I did, it would have a very few well over a decade ago, and since then I've used more e500s than that. So how would they determine which exact e500s were used?

If they're giving 5k for purchased 500s (which I agree is generous), I'd be willing to accept any smaller amount of RDMs, as long as it's RDMs, for earned e500s. I don't see any use for LPs for myself. Gosh, even just 1000 total RDMs (for all 18 of my e500s) would still be way better for me than any amount of LPs, LPs are that useless to me.

I live near an AA hub, and there's no chance of me getting upgraded on most flights form my hub to another significant city due to so many higher elites typically also flying on those flights (I'm almost always far down on the upgrade list). If I'm on a small regional flight with no other elites, though, I wouldn't need LPs to get upgraded. And thus, at least on the routes I fly on AA metal, I don't see a way that LPs would matter to whether I get upgraded or not.

And I have no chance of getting above Plat with LPs, not even for one year.

So what use are LPs to me?

Since I earned lifetime Plat over a decade ago, the only use for EQMs for me, ironically, was to earn e500s. But because of the hub-at-at-least-one-end routes I was flying, I didn't have opportunities to use e500s (successfully) that often.

... And so I think AA needs an alternate solution for lifetime status holders, who have no use for LPs. I don't care what the solution is, as long as it's of some use to us.
HankAAFlyer and LadyShiva like this.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 25, 2022 at 5:32 pm
Old Jun 25, 2022, 6:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
^ and since they are called 500 mileage upgrades you’d think they could at least offer 500 LP for them 😂
LadyShiva and nk15 like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 4:29 pm

My offer was as follows:

A. 5,750 Loyalty Points (250 Loyalty Points x 23 purchased 500-mile
upgrades)
B. 115,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles (5,000 bonus miles x 23 purchased
500-mile upgrades)
C. Travel Voucher of $820 (the paid amount associated with your 23
purchased 500-mile upgrades)
D. Refund of $820 to the original form of payment or check depending on
when your upgrades were purchased
**Refunds can take 6 - 8 weeks to process**
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I took the 115,000 miles.
IsleSeat likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 12:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
My follow up after receiving a ridiculous phone reply

Originally Posted by marlee1421
Called Aaadvantage customer service to find out number of purchased v. earned 500 mile upgrade certs. Agent had a response almost immediately that sounded accurate. Asked about options for conversations and received the stock answer they would be converted to 250 LP each later in the year. Pressed the issue and was asked to wait while supervisor was consulted. A few minutes later came back to say options for purchased e-certs was either 250 LP or refund back to original form of purchase. After advising agent that others had been given the option of 5000 FF miles, she again consulted her supervisor and was told that was not an option. Seems like different people at AA have different info to dispense.
Followed up this phone call with an e-mail to customer service. Ten days later received a reply that my request was being forwarded to someone who should be able to help. An additional ten days has now gone by with no response. Wonder if my request is just bouncing around their office.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
A no status member of my family complained to AA via Email that LPs were of no value and requested options other than LP in exchange for paid e500s. Here was the reply:
Originally Posted by Email reply from AAdvantage Customer Service Representative
When implemented, all available 500-mile upgrades will automatically convert to 250 Loyalty Points each. There are no other options that will be available.
No soup for you!
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:07 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, IHG Plat., former LH HON (now Silver), Bonvoy Titanium
I have 44 of them (earned) in my account and totally forgot. I go back to the times when they were mailed out to members as stickers.
Not sure what I can do with them as I am no longer on AA metal, but yes, on OW very frequently.
Any suggestions?

Originally Posted by TTT103
My offer was as follows:

A. 5,750 Loyalty Points (250 Loyalty Points x 23 purchased 500-mile
upgrades)
B. 115,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles (5,000 bonus miles x 23 purchased
500-mile upgrades)
C. Travel Voucher of $820 (the paid amount associated with your 23
purchased 500-mile upgrades)
D. Refund of $820 to the original form of payment or check depending on
when your upgrades were purchased
**Refunds can take 6 - 8 weeks to process**
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I took the 115,000 miles.
And I wonder what difference determines purchased vs. earned upgrades, if any?

Last edited by Microwave; Jul 14, 2022 at 3:34 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Jul 1, 2022, 8:37 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
I still have enough Amex Platinum airline credits to purchase 6 500-mile upgrades — would these still get the option to convert into miles if I bought them today?
Old Jul 1, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: Frontier 100k; AA ExPlat; LATAM Black; *A Gold ; SkyTeam Elite+
Originally Posted by IsleSeat
And I wonder what difference determines purchased vs. earned upgrades, if any?
Be the datapoint you want to see in the world
njvandy likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United 1K, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ymx
I still have enough Amex Platinum airline credits to purchase 6 500-mile upgrades — would these still get the option to convert into miles if I bought them today?
I was able to purchase 4 of them this afternoon to use up my remaining Amex credits. I first tried the AA app on my phone, but it gave me an error message. Tried again on the full website using a computer and got confirmation email within 10 minutes.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by imapilotaz
I was able to get a choice of a refund of 5k miles for each of the "bought" upgrade certificates left in my account. For the handful remaining that I had remaining from my Platinum days 11 years ago, I was unsuccessful in getting them to do anything but the minimal LP offer.
Originally Posted by richarddd
It sounds as if there's no useful option for "earned" e500s or am I missing something?
My upgrades have been accumulating for years and years. I have no idea which were purchased or earned? Does AA have the ability to tell only to a certain point back in time?

EDIT: Based on previous posts it seems like AA can go back to the beginning of time.
njvandy likes this.

Last edited by EQDsSUCK; Jul 3, 2022 at 3:48 pm
Old Jul 9, 2022, 5:45 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
My upgrades have been accumulating for years and years. I have no idea which were purchased or earned?
For those who have an ongoing mix of purchased and earned upgrades coming in and used upgrades going out, I wonder how AA decides which upgrades are used: e.g., oldest first, or newest first, or earned first, or purchased first?
Old Jul 9, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: American EP
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
My upgrades have been accumulating for years and years. I have no idea which were purchased or earned? Does AA have the ability to tell only to a certain point back in time?

EDIT: Based on previous posts it seems like AA can go back to the beginning of time.
You can check what you have on the app. Go to your wallet, click on 500 mile upgrades and push the drop down arrow on the left of Deposited. Mine shows earned and then deposited.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 9:58 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by mwood19004
You can check what you have on the app. Go to your wallet, click on 500 mile upgrades and push the drop down arrow on the left of Deposited. Mine shows earned and then deposited.
that only shows the last 4 I earned last month (how I don't know)

but I have 50 more in my account... how can you see all of them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.