Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Loyalty Point Rewards program, formerly Loyalty Choice - 2021 on (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2022, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
Please help the community by adding information to this Wiki about the current Loyalty Point Reward program
Print Wikipost

Loyalty Point Rewards program, formerly Loyalty Choice - 2021 on (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2022, 4:54 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Choice Awards: SWUs vs Admirals Club?

This is sort of a two part question.

1) Thoughts on which seems like the best use of my EP and PL awards? SWUs or AC membership? My awards expire end of this month. I kinda feel like neither is all that important bc my layovers are usually 90 mins or so, and my SWU's expired last year bc I had trouble using them.

2) If I take the SWUs (which appeal to me) what's the best way to find a fun way to use them? I almost don't care where I go I'd go to Europe, Asia, Africa, S America..most likely to want to travel next summer.

I'm literally fishing for ideas...

Last edited by LibertyLobbyist; Dec 13, 2022 at 5:05 pm
Old Dec 13, 2022, 5:26 pm

If you're EP you're likely traveling enough to take advantage of either unless you spend like crazy on cobranded cards. My thoughts:

SWU - this is easily of greater cash value than the AC membership. The upgrades are quite valuable to me, as I plan my international travel through hubs where a SWU is likely to clear. When flying overseas, I try to connect through hubs that offer a ton of capacity (LAX or DFW to LHR on the 773 with multiple daily departures, for example. There are easily 100-150 J seats daily on these routes, which tends to provide a very good chance of getting upgraded as EP with SWUs. My other favorite use is on the JFK transcon routes, which usually clear for the same reason. I've also gifted the SWUs to family or friends if I can't use them. Even if traveling domestically they'll get free checked bags and lunch on their flight. I've easily gotten $10k in value out of my 5 SWUs in a given year.

Admirals Club Membership - hugely important to me, as I travel for business a ton and fly out of Reno, meaning I'm almost always on a connecting flight. I'll sometimes intentionally plan for longer layovers so I can still make all my meetings when in transit. Missing a day's worth of meetings can greatly affect my productivity for a week or more, so the benefit is huge to me. You can also use the Alaska lounges which are very nice. All that said, the cash value is not very large. An AC membership will cost an EP like yourself $550. I instead get mine through my AAdvantage Citibank Mastercard, which I highly recommend. I believe the annual fee is $450 - very little cash value compared to SWUs.

If you don't think you'll get the value out of the SWUs I'd almost take the miles bonuses since they can be used more flexibly.
bgasser, 355F1, Hoi polloi and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by gophish11
If you're EP you're likely traveling enough to take advantage of either unless you spend like crazy on cobranded cards. My thoughts:

SWU - this is easily of greater cash value than the AC membership. The upgrades are quite valuable to me, as I plan my international travel through hubs where a SWU is likely to clear. When flying overseas, I try to connect through hubs that offer a ton of capacity (LAX or DFW to LHR on the 773 with multiple daily departures, for example. There are easily 100-150 J seats daily on these routes, which tends to provide a very good chance of getting upgraded as EP with SWUs. My other favorite use is on the JFK transcon routes, which usually clear for the same reason. I've also gifted the SWUs to family or friends if I can't use them. Even if traveling domestically they'll get free checked bags and lunch on their flight. I've easily gotten $10k in value out of my 5 SWUs in a given year.

Admirals Club Membership - hugely important to me, as I travel for business a ton and fly out of Reno, meaning I'm almost always on a connecting flight. I'll sometimes intentionally plan for longer layovers so I can still make all my meetings when in transit. Missing a day's worth of meetings can greatly affect my productivity for a week or more, so the benefit is huge to me. You can also use the Alaska lounges which are very nice. All that said, the cash value is not very large. An AC membership will cost an EP like yourself $550. I instead get mine through my AAdvantage Citibank Mastercard, which I highly recommend. I believe the annual fee is $450 - very little cash value compared to SWUs.

If you don't think you'll get the value out of the SWUs I'd almost take the miles bonuses since they can be used more flexibly.
This is great information! The AC membership could be nice but again lots of short layovers for me averaging 90 mins or so. I fly almost exclusively domestic flights for business. I need to just plan something for next summer which is my slow season, and a good time to travel recreationally. Thanks again !
Old Dec 13, 2022, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by gophish11

This is great information! The AC membership could be nice but again lots of short layovers for me averaging 90 mins or so. I fly almost exclusively domestic flights for business. I need to just plan something for next summer which is my slow season, and a good time to travel recreationally. Thanks again !
Old Dec 13, 2022, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
SWU

If you’re looking for a good gamble with some potential then absolutely SWUs. You can typically buy your way into a lounge easier than a big upgrade.
LibertyLobbyist likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by LibertyLobbyist
In that case, I'd look for a good J fare MIA-LAX and apply a SWU to F to enjoy it before it's gone (for better or for worse), or to upgrade to J or F in the A321T transcon. These are great applications for a SWU in my opinion. I mean, BOS-LAX is the same duration as JFK-LHR!
Old Dec 13, 2022, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by JBauer
If you’re looking for a good gamble with some potential then absolutely SWUs. You can typically buy your way into a lounge easier than a big upgrade.
An excellent point. I think I have enough rewards to get some SWUs and 5 or 6 passes to the lounges which I might actually use
Old Dec 13, 2022, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by bscooter26
I gifted it to my brother this year and I recall it taking almost immediate effect.

That being said, the trips he had already booked did not show the new status so he had to have the airport agents add it to his reservations or something in order to get his benefits
Yup can confirm it flipped on in about 5 minutes.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 5:36 am

I would find this to be a tough choice. Ive never had access to SWUs (I will this year when I finally make EP). Last year I took the dollar credit. I don;t do that much international flying and I hear too many nightmare stories of people not being able to use their SWUs.
cyberkarl likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 5:47 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bscooter26
I gifted it to my brother this year and I recall it taking almost immediate effect.

That being said, the trips he had already booked did not show the new status so he had to have the airport agents add it to his reservations or something in order to get his benefits
This happens whenever your status changes, what they do is remove your FF# and then add it back in to update the reservation with the new status.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 7:07 am

Programs: AA, Hertz, Hyatt, Hilton
Originally Posted by LibertyLobbyist
Even with only 90 min, it's still often a worthwhile effort (for me at least) to stop in the lounge, grab a coffee, relax for 15 min, hit the (usually) cleaner bathrooms, and then make my way out again. After years of travelling without lounge access, I relish the opportunity to stop by - even if it's just for a little while.

But, as mentioned upthread, not sure it's worth a choice award when you can just get the card (and, add your family as authorized users, so they can hit the lounge, too. This is hugely important for me, with two kids travelling to/from college by themselves these days.)
BWISkyGuy and FlyFreakquently like this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I would find this to be a tough choice. Ive never had access to SWUs (I will this year when I finally make EP). Last year I took the dollar credit. I don;t do that much international flying and I hear too many nightmare stories of people not being able to use their SWUs.
I’ve never had any trouble using my SWUs. As I mentioned previously it sometimes takes strategically planning route and departure times, but I’m cleared upwards of 90% of the time. Certainly not enough of an issue for them to expire.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I would say if the OP believes that he/she will be doing some long haul travel (and that could include HA or AK) within the next year go with the SWUs. Otherwise, I'd take the AC membership.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by EXP100
I would say if the OP believes that he/she will be doing some long haul travel (and that could include HA or AK) within the next year go with the SWUs. Otherwise, I'd take the AC membership.
So what would be your choices if you already have an AV membership?
Old Dec 15, 2022, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
New Loyalty Point Rewards program (formerly Loyalty Choice; effective March 2023)

Hey everybody,

I was just on AA's website, and it looks like the Loyalty Choice program is changing on March 1st. Did anyone else see this, because I can't find a thread about it here?

A lot more levels (up to 5 million LPs), new choices, and no longer a 75K earnings cap on tickets. The only downside is that the current Level 1 and Level 2 choices are now at 175K and 250K LPs, respectively. But you can get 2 SWUs (instead of 1) at the 175K level. Also, when you pass the 100K mark, you earn a 30% bonus on certain partners, like eShopping and AAdvantage Dining.
Redhead likes this.

Last edited by Fanjet; Dec 15, 2022 at 10:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.