Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Loyalty Point Rewards program, formerly Loyalty Choice - 2021 on (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2022, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
Please help the community by adding information to this Wiki about the current Loyalty Point Reward program
Print Wikipost

Loyalty Point Rewards program, formerly Loyalty Choice - 2021 on (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2022, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
I've got a long way to go, but nice that they have an easy tracker for this!
Old Apr 5, 2022, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
I know it's a long shot that someone will know, but...

Does anyone know if/when the Bang & Olufsen products will become available to choose again? Those products have been grayed out on the "Choose Your Rewards" page for many months. I'm assuming there may be supply chain issues, but OTOH the products are widely available on the web.

One thing to note is that AA recently updated the B&O products listed on the overview page

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ce-rewards.jsp

and the noise cancelling headphones are now described as the "Beoplay HX 3rd Gen. over-ear noise-canceling headphones". On the Choose Your Rewards page they are still listed as the H9 version, so someone at AA appears to be anticipating/updating things.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
I'm trying to understand exactly what types of award flights will count towards the 30 segments. Does anyone know for sure? I don't see anything explicitly stated on the Terms and conditions page.

The Points Guys says this:

"Status rewards have additional requirements Previously, once you qualified for status, you automatically received elite perks. Going forward, you’ll need to fly at least 30 segments on American and qualifying partners to unlock these Loyalty Choice Rewards.
This is likely to be the change that top-tier elites will dislike the most. Historically, there hasn’t been a minimum segment requirement to earn AAdvantage status, and putting the threshold at 30 might be high for some flyers who prefer fewer long-haul trips to more frequent domestic hops.
If it’s any consolation, award tickets marketed by American will count toward reaching the minimum segment requirement, though you won’t earn any miles or Loyalty Points from those transactions. (Note that only AAdvantage award segments for travel on American will count toward this requirement. This does not include partners like Alaska, JetBlue, British Airways, etc.)"

Any idea where this info came from and if it has been verified? I have a few AA flights that I booked through BA Avios and was hoping those would count towards the 30 segments....
Old Apr 23, 2022, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmgriffin
I'm trying to understand exactly what types of award flights will count towards the 30 segments. Does anyone know for sure? I don't see anything explicitly stated on the Terms and conditions page.

The Points Guys says this:

"Status rewards have additional requirements Previously, once you qualified for status, you automatically received elite perks. Going forward, you’ll need to fly at least 30 segments on American and qualifying partners to unlock these Loyalty Choice Rewards.
This is likely to be the change that top-tier elites will dislike the most. Historically, there hasn’t been a minimum segment requirement to earn AAdvantage status, and putting the threshold at 30 might be high for some flyers who prefer fewer long-haul trips to more frequent domestic hops.
If it’s any consolation, award tickets marketed by American will count toward reaching the minimum segment requirement, though you won’t earn any miles or Loyalty Points from those transactions. (Note that only AAdvantage award segments for travel on American will count toward this requirement. This does not include partners like Alaska, JetBlue, British Airways, etc.)"

Any idea where this info came from and if it has been verified? I have a few AA flights that I booked through BA Avios and was hoping those would count towards the 30 segments....
My understanding is that for award flights, they have to be booked with AA miles and operated by AA.

But please let us know what actually happens, since AA had not published this for some reason, and all have is what bothers write after they (apparently) contact AA.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I assume all paid AA codeshares count towards the 30, including non OW airlines like EI. Any differing POV?
Old Apr 23, 2022, 7:13 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
I assume all paid AA codeshares count towards the 30, including non OW airlines like EI. Any differing POV?
G3 flights count with G3 flight number.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My understanding (which may be wrong -- this is still new and unfortunately completely undocumented) is that any flight which earns LP is a qualifying segment. Additionally, any award flight booked with AA miles on AA metal is a qualifying segment.

What I'm not sure about is partner flights that earn RDM but not LP (a few partners don't earn LP)
Old May 24, 2022, 12:43 pm

Two parter here, asking for a friend boss:

1) Any data points on whether earning 30 segments after crossing one or more levels will still unlock all reward levels qualified to that point (assuming the 30 are earned within the qualifying period)? In other words, if someone crosses 125k in July, 200k in September, and then hits 30 segments in November, do they then get the 125k choice reward and the 2, 200k choice rewards once the 30th segment posts?

2) Has AA posted the rules yet for the 30 eligible/qualifying flights? Looks like they haven't before and not seeing it online, but wanted to confirm nobody stumbled upon a location for them other than bloggers reporting second-hand information.
Old May 24, 2022, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
As I've said elsewhere, I do not understand the rationale behind the 30 segment requirement. My understanding of the loyalty program is that it is designed to reward value to AA. By December, I'll have approximately 250,000 loyalty points, but no where near 30 segments. Because almost all my flights are first class/business class, I'm pretty certain that AA makes more money off me than someone flying 30 domestic segments in coach. And yet, I get no rewards, and that makes my EXP even less valuable that it was before (if that's possible). As far as I'm concerned, it is even less incentive to be loyal.
MorganB, apeortdz and jmgriffin like this.
Old May 24, 2022, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FrogProf
As I've said elsewhere, I do not understand the rationale behind the 30 segment requirement. My understanding of the loyalty program is that it is designed to reward value to AA. By December, I'll have approximately 250,000 loyalty points, but no where near 30 segments. Because almost all my flights are first class/business class, I'm pretty certain that AA makes more money off me than someone flying 30 domestic segments in coach. And yet, I get no rewards, and that makes my EXP even less valuable that it was before (if that's possible). As far as I'm concerned, it is even less incentive to be loyal.
I agree that it's strange.

The only thing that I can think of is that they want to make it tougher for hub captives than people who have many connecting flights and presumably more of a choice of airlines. 30 segments is not so much if all your flights are connecting. It's a lot from a hub though.
Old May 24, 2022, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by FrogProf
Best guess I have is they want to reward those who are flying BIS more than those who earn via CC or other methods, and this is how they decided to do it for better or for worse.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
AA may come along and gift some segments for people in certain situations. There was already one round of that a couple of months ago.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
My understanding (which may be wrong -- this is still new and unfortunately completely undocumented) is that any flight which earns LP is a qualifying segment. Additionally, any award flight booked with AA miles on AA metal is a qualifying segment.

What I'm not sure about is partner flights that earn RDM but not LP (a few partners don't earn LP)
I've flown 4 flights on AA metal this year, all domestic US:
  • 1 flight booked/paid/ticketed via AA
  • 3 flights booked/paid/ticketed via BA Avios (1 one-way and 1 RT)
I expected to have 1 flight in the AA flight tracker (or maybe 4, if it was for some reason counting the BA Avios award flights). However, I'm seeing 3 flights so I guess the RT Avios ticket got counted somehow:

Old Jun 8, 2022, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmgriffin
I've flown 4 flights on AA metal this year, all domestic US:
  • 1 flight booked/paid/ticketed via AA
  • 3 flights booked/paid/ticketed via BA Avios (1 one-way and 1 RT)
I expected to have 1 flight in the AA flight tracker (or maybe 4, if it was for some reason counting the BA Avios award flights). However, I'm seeing 3 flights so I guess the RT Avios ticket got counted somehow:

Did you change your FF number to your AA number on any of the avios-booked flights?
Old Jun 8, 2022, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Did you change your FF number to your AA number on any of the avios-booked flights?
For all of the Avios award flights, I added my AA FF number to the reservation via the AA website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.