FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   No 24 hour refund if using trip credit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2068218-no-24-hour-refund-if-using-trip-credit.html)

seawolf Sep 7, 2022 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 34578198)
I don't disagree with your point, but it takes someone who knows a decent amount about how this works or cares enough to find out to be able to understand that.

There is no one in my family or friend group that this would be obvious to. And I'm confident that this statement applies to the vast majority of non airline and aviation geeks.

Credits are like store credit to most people. Must be used at the store, cannot be exchanged for cash and thats about it.

I知 not making a statement on whether whether a 24 hour change should be allowed or not. I知 merely stating an AA flight credit is aka an unused ticket.

Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler (Post 34578426)
When I致e placed reservations on hold and then called AA to pay for them with flight credits-and been charged more than the held fare was- the tickets that are issued have new ticket numbers, different than the cancelled ticket numbers.

That is the way it works. You applied/exchange the prior ticket (aka flight credit) and and get a new ticket number as a result of the exhange.

Originally Posted by jordyn (Post 34578427)
As evidence that this theory is incorrect, you can apply up to eight flight credits to a single flight so obviously this is not consistently true.

There is nothing to theorize about as it is a fact. As stated earlier in this message, a flight credit is simply an unused ticket. You can use multiple unused tickets for an exchange to a new ticket. The new ticket (eg the result of exchanging flight credit) has a different number. This has been how it worked even during paper ticket days.

Again I知 not making a comment on whether the 24 hour rule applies or not. I知 simply answering prior post that a flight credit is AA痴 aka for unused ticket/coupons.

Antarius Sep 7, 2022 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 34580918)
I知 not making a statement on whether whether a 24 hour change should be allowed or not. I知 merely stating an AA flight credit is aka an unused ticket.

I'm not making that statement above either. What I am pointing out is that what you said may be the mechanism that AA's system uses, but that aspect is not mentioned, clarified or stated anywhere. Also, if you use multiple credits.. which unused ticket is it?

WeekendTraveler Sep 7, 2022 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 34581201)
I'm not making that statement above either. What I am pointing out is that what you said may be the mechanism that AA's system uses, but that aspect is not mentioned, clarified or stated anywhere. Also, if you use multiple credits.. which unused ticket is it?

Agreed, and AA lets people put tickets on hold and pay for them (during the 24-hour hold period) with flight credits and doesn稚 honor the fare that was placed on hold.

Is that compliant with DOT requirements- whether having either a 24-hour hold or refund period, or avoiding deceptive or unclear practices?

My one concern with raising this to the DOT is that AA will honor 24-hour holds and refunds but then re-impose $200 change fees.

jordyn Sep 7, 2022 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler (Post 34581706)
My one concern with raising this to the DOT is that AA will honor 24-hour holds and refunds but then re-impose $200 change fees.

They can try that if they want, but since every other domestic airline offers free changes that seems like it would be a huge competitive disadvantage.

WeekendTraveler Sep 7, 2022 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by jordyn (Post 34581743)
They can try that if they want, but since every other domestic airline offers free changes that seems like it would be a huge competitive disadvantage.

True but other airlines could also re-impose change fees.

seawolf Sep 7, 2022 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 34581201)

If you call AA and tell them you have 3 flight credits to use (assuming the first two provided does not already exceed the new itinerary amount), any excess amount (from the 3rd) gets kicks out as trip credit. All (prior) flight credit/coupons used will change from an OPEN status to EXCHANGED status. That's the mechanics of it.

Whether this should be subject to 24 hour DOT requirement or needs to be "mentioned, clarified or stated anywhere" on AA website is unrelated as I was simply answering the following post:

Originally Posted by Lohrip (Post 34567785)
Thanks Dave Noble. You say "hold an unused ticket for further travel...." In my experience I received a flight credit, and applied it to a future ticket (at least those are the words the AA agents used). But are you saying the reality was that my ticked was held for further travel, and the application of a flight credit to a different reservation was just a "shorthand" description but not really true?

jordyn Sep 8, 2022 11:58 am

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 34582042)
If you call AA and tell them you have 3 flight credits to use (assuming the first two provided does not already exceed the new itinerary amount), any excess amount (from the 3rd) gets kicks out as trip credit. All (prior) flight credit/coupons used will change from an OPEN status to EXCHANGED status. That's the mechanics of it.

There's a distinction between trip credit (can use up to 8) with flight credit (can only use 2 online, but the website says you can call in to use more).

ghsbass0406 Mar 31, 2024 1:50 pm

I paid for a $79 Basic Economy ticket - $40 on a trip credit and $39 on a credit card. If I cancel my flight within 24 hours, do I get a refund of the $39 and my $40 trip credit returned? Do I lose the $39 I paid on the credit card and get a $79 trip credit? Do I lose the $40 trip credit and get a $79 refund?

It'd seem from reading this thread that I'd lose the $39 since AA would refuse to refund the cash portion since I partially paid with a trip credit?

Antarius Mar 31, 2024 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by ghsbass0406 (Post 36124627)
I paid for a $79 Basic Economy ticket - $40 on a trip credit and $39 on a credit card. If I cancel my flight within 24 hours, do I get a refund of the $39 and my $40 trip credit returned? Do I lose the $39 I paid on the credit card and get a $79 trip credit? Do I lose the $40 trip credit and get a $79 refund?

It'd seem from reading this thread that I'd lose the $39 since AA would refuse to refund the cash portion since I partially paid with a trip credit?

that is my understanding. You'd get $79 as a trip credit.

Curious if theyve changed that policy. Hopefully it has, since "original form of payment" is not entirely a credit.

ghsbass0406 Apr 5, 2024 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 36124646)
that is my understanding. You'd get $79 as a trip credit.

Curious if theyve changed that policy. Hopefully it has, since "original form of payment" is not entirely a credit.

I received the $40 back as a trip credit and they refunded the $39.

Ckg871 Apr 5, 2024 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by ghsbass0406 (Post 36138306)
I received the $40 back as a trip credit and they refunded the $39.

So they refunded the money you paid back to your credit card? How long did it take for them ti respond? I am in the same situation.