FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   No 24 hour refund if using trip credit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2068218-no-24-hour-refund-if-using-trip-credit.html)

AZ26 Feb 8, 2022 9:56 pm

No 24 hour refund if using trip credit

AA is claiming to me that 24 hour cancellation rule doesn't apply if using trip credit to book a basic economy ticket and they are refusing to let me cancel a basic economy ticket I just booked with trip credit Is this true? Doesn't seem right to me - they can't point to anything in terms and conditions saying this. My reading of trip credit is if cancelling within 24 hours, the refund goes back to original form of payment (in this case the trip credit). Help?

JJeffrey Feb 9, 2022 4:36 am

Originally Posted by AZ26 (Post 33976033)
AA is claiming to me that 24 hour cancellation rule doesn't apply if using trip credit to book a basic economy ticket and they are refusing to let me cancel a basic economy ticket I just booked with trip credit Is this true? Doesn't seem right to me - they can't point to anything in terms and conditions saying this. My reading of trip credit is if cancelling within 24 hours, the refund goes back to original form of payment (in this case the trip credit). Help?

Who at AA told you that? Let me guess, Twitter...

AFAIK the method of payment has no bearing on whether you can or cannot utilize the free 24 hr cancellation.

FlyerBeek Feb 9, 2022 4:45 am

Doesn't seem right to me either. Perhaps the agent thought you were trying to get a full refund, and not simply return the value a trip credit?

-FlyerBeek

USFlyerUS Feb 9, 2022 6:48 am

HUCA and see what happens.

aamilesslave Feb 9, 2022 8:55 am

I know that for agency bookings, you cannot do a 24 hour void if you apply a credit to a booking. It wouldn't surprise me if something similar applies to direct AA bookings.

seawolf Feb 9, 2022 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by aamilesslave (Post 33977090)
I know that for agency bookings, you cannot do a 24 hour void if you apply a credit to a booking. It wouldn't surprise me if something similar applies to direct AA bookings.

My understanding is travel agent can actually void an exchange but many don’t/not aware it can be done.

uiucengineer Feb 9, 2022 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 33976510)
Who at AA told you that? Let me guess, Twitter...

AFAIK the method of payment has no bearing on whether you can or cannot utilize the free 24 hr cancellation.

I was told the same thing by a phone agent. I agree that it doesn't seem right, but in my scenario I didn't have anything to gain by pushing the issue so I didn't.

VegasGambler Feb 9, 2022 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by uiucengineer (Post 33978196)
I was told the same thing by a phone agent. I agree that it doesn't seem right, but in my scenario I didn't have anything to gain by pushing the issue so I didn't.

24 hr cancellations are required by the DOT. Is there a clause that lets AA off the hook if paying with a flight credit?

seigex Feb 9, 2022 6:09 pm

When is your flight? 24 hours only works if booked more than 48 hours before the flight.

You have up to 24 hours from the time of ticket purchase for a refund if you booked at least 2 days prior to departure. The 24-hour refund policy applies to all ticket types, but you have to cancel the trip to get a refund.* Reservations booked as part of group block do not qualify for the 24 hour refund.

Refunds will be issued in full amounts, less:
  • Sale-imposed nonrefundable taxes
  • Service charge for booking through Reservations
Contact Reservations

*If you bought your ticket through a travel agency or another booking source, contact them for a refund.

zoegksf Feb 10, 2022 12:20 am

Maybe it is a new enhancement. I booked a SFO-JFK-SFO trip for travel this weekend with a trip credit and cancelled it within 24 hours last week. I was charged the credit + add on and didn't get it back. I couldn't bear to call as it was $125.00 and value my time more than waiting on hold/call back for them. I rebooked it yesterday, for $1.00 more (yes $1). Today fare dropped to $208.00 RT, a $126.00 new credit and an instant PP upgrade. Pissed at first then non caring after.

Lohrip Sep 1, 2022 11:15 pm

Same Problem

I'm having the same issue. I purchased tickets with an AA phone agent. I canceled 5 hours later, months before the flight date. No refund.

Phone agents gave conflicting explanations. Refund request form online said no refund. BBB complaint brought a response from customer relations explaining that it was not a new booking but a rebooking and so not eligible for a refund under the 24 hour policy.

It seemed like a new booking to me. I booked a new flight, and just gave them the flight credit info when they asked how I wanted to pay for it. About $1000 was flight credits and $4500 cash.

Anybody have experience with this?

Dave Noble Sep 1, 2022 11:22 pm

Is it still the same booking reference or is there a new record locator?

hsumh316 Sep 2, 2022 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Lohrip (Post 34565890)
I'm having the same issue. I purchased tickets with an AA phone agent. I canceled 5 hours later, months before the flight date. No refund.

Phone agents gave conflicting explanations. Refund request form online said no refund. BBB complaint brought a response from customer relations explaining that it was not a new booking but a rebooking and so not eligible for a refund under the 24 hour policy.

It seemed like a new booking to me. I booked a new flight, and just gave them the flight credit info when they asked how I wanted to pay for it. About $1000 was flight credits and $4500 cash.

Anybody have experience with this?

Any trip credit used makes it a rebooking. I had the same experience.

777lover Sep 2, 2022 5:35 am

Correct. It’s technically a Re issued ticket so the 24 hour doesn’t apply. What u can do is book it on .com and then 34 hours later call and apply the credit

Lohrip Sep 2, 2022 9:49 am

New record locator.