FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA and early Feb 2022 Weather issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2067475-aa-early-feb-2022-weather-issues.html)

flyinggum Feb 2, 2022 7:09 am

AA and early Feb 2022 Weather issues

Hi, sorry in advance if this is not the right forum. I have a domestic AA flight on this Friday SDF to SFO with layover in DFW. I was originally on SDF to SFO with layover in CLT with 5AM outbound flight to CLT. The early morning flight to CLT was cancelled yesterday, and I was rescheduled to 10:37AM outbound flight to DFW. There will be winter storm on Thursday and some chance of snow showers/freezing rain on Friday. What do you think the chance of my SDF-DFW being cancelled is? Trying to see if I need to cancel my conference registration and they want to to know of my decision by today lol Thanks!

dave_261 Feb 2, 2022 7:17 am

I just read that Southwest is closing their operations at Dallas Love Field tomorrow. So based on that, you can assume the Dallas airports will be a complete mess on Friday as they try to recover operations.

ETA: Also seeing on flightaware that 24% of DFW flights already canceled for tomorrow (that # will certainly grow). Friday will not be good for Dallas airports.

unfrequentflyer Feb 2, 2022 7:25 am

I hope the people of Dallas are able to stay warm

dls25 Feb 2, 2022 7:37 am

Originally Posted by flyinggum (Post 33957050)
Hi, sorry in advance if this is not the right forum. I have a domestic AA flight on this Friday SDF to SFO with layover in DFW. I was originally on SDF to SFO with layover in CLT with 5AM outbound flight to CLT. The early morning flight to CLT was cancelled yesterday, and I was rescheduled to 10:37AM outbound flight to DFW. There will be winter storm on Thursday and some chance of snow showers/freezing rain on Friday. What do you think the chance of my SDF-DFW being cancelled is? Trying to see if I need to cancel my conference registration and they want to to know of my decision by today lol Thanks!

Very high.
If you want to attend this conference, you should be trying to get on a flight today.

flyinggum Feb 2, 2022 7:45 am

Would rescheduling through CLT instead of DFW later on Friday allow me to make it to the conference on Friday or is Friday simply not a good idea? Specifically changing to an outbound noon flight to CLT on Friday...

wrp96 Feb 2, 2022 7:47 am

Originally Posted by flyinggum (Post 33957156)
Would rescheduling through CLT instead of DFW later on Friday allow me to make it to the conference on Friday or is Friday simply not a good idea?

With the coverage of this storm, I wouldn't bet on the system having recovered enough by Friday, especially to anywhere affected by this storm.

LlamaJesus Feb 2, 2022 7:51 am

Originally Posted by dls25 (Post 33957125)
Very high.
If you want to attend this conference, you should be trying to get on a flight today.

This is my feeling as well. Thursday and Friday are going to be rough (though depending on exactly how the storm goes, I could see the system recovering by Friday evening).

flyinggum Feb 2, 2022 7:54 am

oh man thanks all! Will try to make it out today then...

flyinggum Feb 2, 2022 8:04 am

Looking at arriving DFW today for outbound flight to CA around 5:25pm. There is a winter storm warning for DFW area starting at 6pm ish today. Will I be able to make it out of DFW?

enviroian Feb 2, 2022 8:19 am

Originally Posted by flyinggum (Post 33957213)
Looking at arriving DFW today for outbound flight to CA around 5:25pm. There is a winter storm warning for DFW area starting at 6pm ish today. Will I be able to make it out of DFW?

The winter storm warning goes into effect here at 6 PM. By 7 or 8 rain should change over to freezing rain. You (as well as me on my 7:25 PM departure) should be fine.

mvoight Feb 2, 2022 8:35 am

Originally Posted by flyinggum (Post 33957050)

Friday doesn't seem to show any precip issues. There might some issues with plane placement due to the number of cancellations tomorrow

mvoight Feb 2, 2022 8:37 am

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 33957252)
The winter storm warning goes into effect here at 6 PM. By 7 or 8 rain should change over to freezing rain. You (as well as me on my 7:25 PM departure) should be fine.

If it is freezing rain at 7, I would be doubtful about a 725 departure

wrp96 Feb 2, 2022 8:42 am

Forecasts I've seen don't show freezing rain starting around DFW until 11:00pm.

enviroian Feb 2, 2022 8:46 am

it's forecasted to be 34 at 6 pm then 32 at 7 pm. I hope to god DFW has enough de-icing equipment.

enviroian Feb 2, 2022 8:47 am

deleted