FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA and early Feb 2022 Weather issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2067475-aa-early-feb-2022-weather-issues.html)

enviroian Feb 2, 2022 8:56 am

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 33957336)
Forecasts I've seen don't show freezing rain starting around DFW until 11:00pm.

yeah I just pulled up weather.com for Grapevine and says 10 or 11 when it sill get to 32 degrees. Guess we'll see

aztimm Feb 2, 2022 10:27 am

Folks--there's a much broader discussion (beyond AA and DFW) about the impending storm and impacts in Texas over in the Texas forum here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/texa...-4-2022-a.html

I'd encourage any discussion that isn't specifically related to AA (empty shelves at the supermarket, preparing your home/garden/pets for the weather) to take place in that thread.

Thank you!

Raymoland Feb 2, 2022 10:31 am

The timing of the Freezing Rain will be critical. Operations will likely pretty much cease once they begin - particularly at large airports like DFW that aren't really equipped for efficient de-icing. There are many issues with FZRA,
1. some airplanes aren't authorized to take off and land in FZRA at all. Some in only light freezing rain and some only in freezing drizzle
2. the holdover time is the time between the start of deicing and the time that takeoff must be accomplished is very short for freezing rain. So it's often just simply not possible to make it from the deice pad to the being airborne, particularly in large complex airports like DFW. In some cases the holdover time is as low as about 20 mins, remember, it begins when deicing is STARTED and deicing usually takes at least 10 mins.
3. obviously it coats everything in ice, making ramps, taxiways and runways slippery and making it difficult if not impossible for ramp crews.

So for connections in DFW, (or anywhere really), ask yourself when you think the freezing rain will start. Remember that for freezing rain, the temperature of surfaces on the ground must be below zero.

I'm scheduled to operate a flight into DFW myself tomorrow. It still shows as operating but unless the storm fizzles, I'm expecting a cancellation. Obviously given AAs hubs, they are likely to be impacted pretty heavily and may take a few days to get back to normal.

Herb687 Feb 2, 2022 10:36 am

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 33957336)
Forecasts I've seen don't show freezing rain starting around DFW until 11:00pm.

Close enough. Call it 9pm. 0300Z = 2100L

KDFW 021506Z 0215/0318 35016KT P6SM OVC012
FM022300 36017KT 6SM -RA OVC010
FM030300 36018G28KT 5SM FZRAPL OVC008
FM031100 35015G25KT 2SM -SNPL OVC006
FM031700 34014KT P6SM OVC008

jayer Feb 2, 2022 10:42 am

Looking at arriving DFW today for outbound flight to CA around 5:25pm. There is a winter storm warning for DFW area starting at 6pm ish today. Will I be able to make it out of DFW?
The problem with the question is winter precip is a crapshoot. The conditions have to be perfect for it to happen. But when they are and it does; North Texas is not really prepared to mitigate it like somewhere farther north that is used to it. (That extends beyond the airport to employees of all sorts being able to get to the airport).

The question for anyone flying the next day or two or even three is can you possibly get rebooked through Phoenix and avoid the whole storm? (But I guess I am presuming they are not having a winter monsoon Noahfest of their own). Even if I live here I still believe DFW is a more straightforward place to change airplanes, but weather is weather.

flyinggum Feb 2, 2022 10:53 am

Just got the travel alert for dfw. This is one of the few times I’m glad I bought the trip insurance.

enviroian Feb 2, 2022 11:29 am

Originally Posted by flyinggum (Post 33957738)
Just got the travel alert for dfw. This is one of the few times I’m glad I bought the trip insurance.

Although I bought trip insurance for my trip starting tonight if AA 38 cancels I'll just simply go home then cancel my hotel.

seigex Feb 2, 2022 2:49 pm

My SW flight from SNA-AUS was canceled for tomorrow, just booked a flight on AA for tomorrow with return on Sunday ONT-DFW-AUS and back, both one-ways, going to book another one for Friday just to be safe in case tomorrows gets canceled.

Already upgraded on all segments both directions.

msm2000uk Feb 2, 2022 2:58 pm

I have a JFK-LAX on Friday at 6am, and I think the biggest issue is simply going to be out of place crew and planes - even for those nowhere near DFW.

M

Herb687 Feb 2, 2022 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 33957874)
Although I bought trip insurance for my trip starting tonight if AA 38 cancels I'll just simply go home then cancel my hotel.

Will that trip insurance cover 3 nights hotel at MAD?

Not sure what happened to that other thread where folks were taking bets on different possible outcomes with your trip to MIL but FWIW, I'm placing my money on:
  • AA38/02 operates (nearly) on schedule to MAD
  • Ian enjoys an unscheduled vacation in Spain thanks to labor action in Italy

Originally Posted by Spam email from Opsgroup
LIZZ/ItalyAirport workers across the country are planning a strike on Feb 3. LIMC/Malpensa and LIML/Linate, LIRZ/Perugia and LICR/Reggio Calabria will be affected by day long work stoppages. LIRQ/Florence and LIRP/Pisa workers will strike from 12-4 local time. The strike does not involve ATC, except at LIRZ/Perugia where ATC will be on strike all day. Confirm with your agent what handling and ground services will be impacted.

enviroian Feb 2, 2022 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687 (Post 33958485)
Will that trip insurance cover 3 nights hotel at MAD?

I'm quite confident the Hilton Milan will cancel my reservation w/o penalty if I explain to them what happened and as a Diamond member. They've done it before, I'm not concerned.

seigex Feb 2, 2022 3:34 pm

How fast do AUS/DFW recover from cold-related shutdowns? I know with thunderstorms, once it passes they are up fairly quickly, but ice/snow are a different monster in TX. Looks like freezing rain at DFW ends around 4am tomorrow morning, snow will continue and temperatures will continue to drop after the front passes. At AUS, it looks like 11am is when the freezing rain ends, my flight is expected to arrive in to AUS (assuming it's not canceled) 1:30pm.

EDIT: nevermind, Raymoland's post has some good/relevant info on this.

Herb687 Feb 2, 2022 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by seigex (Post 33958557)
How fast do AUS/DFW recover from cold-related shutdowns?

Do you mean the roads? Airport operations in general? AA airport operations specifically?

I know with thunderstorms, once it passes they are up fairly quickly,
Not with the new AA. 90 minutes of thunderstorm activity over/around a hub airport can leave AA's operation reeling in chaos for 72+ hours.

but ice/snow are a different monster in TX. Looks like freezing rain at DFW ends around 4am tomorrow morning, snow will continue and temperatures will continue to drop after the front passes. At AUS, it looks like 11am is when the freezing rain ends, my flight is expected to arrive in to AUS (assuming it's not canceled) 1:30pm.
Not speaking to AA specifically but I'd expect things to generally be screwed up around the Metroplex through Sunday afternoon. Freezing rain followed by snow followed by some melting followed by overnight refreezing is a recipe for days of problems.

Until we see a full 24 hours of temps above freezing and bright sun during the day, there will be problems.

Herb687 Feb 2, 2022 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 33958549)
I'm quite confident the Hilton Milan will cancel my reservation w/o penalty if I explain to them what happened and as a Diamond member. They've done it before, I'm not concerned.

Diamond status ain't what it used to be!

seigex Feb 2, 2022 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687 (Post 33958570)
Do you mean the roads? Airport operations in general? AA airport operations specifically?

Not with the new AA. 90 minutes of thunderstorm activity over/around a hub airport can leave AA's operation reeling in chaos for 72+ hours.

Not speaking to AA specifically but I'd expect things to generally be screwed up around DFW through Sunday afternoon. Freezing rain followed by snow followed by some melting followed by overnight refreezing is a recipe for days of problems.

Until we see a full 24 hours of temps above freezing and bright sun during the day, there will be problems.

Airport operations, ie: deicing/reopening runways and allowing arrivals. Are they able to deice the runways/taxiways fairly quickly? While this is a problem for TX, there are many airports that have to deal with this throughout the entire winter season and can get back up and running fairly quick, and it seems as though the TX airport authorities would have advisors from other airports come in and help them prep for a quick reopen, especially after the .... show last year.