FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   2022 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2063907-2022-aa-domestic-meal-meals-menu-photos-etc-master-thread.html)

JDiver Dec 2, 2021 11:25 am

2022 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Introduction
Welcome to the 2022 version of the combined AA meals thread, focusing on domestic service. Please post your meal/service experiences, including menus, photos, reports, questions, and service anecdotes.

To help give us a clear picture of your experience, remember to include the route, time, and meal designation (breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack/refreshments/none). Photos are welcome and very helpful. Those are rudimentary guidelines, but of course, the format/style is up to you.

Format Sample
This is a format you can use when introducing your meal report. This is just a sample format; deviations are expected.

AA1: JFK-LAX: 3pm
Dinner
A321
First Class, 2A

(from here, share the menu and/or experiences and/or photos)

Historical Meal Reports
Looking for older meal posts? Enjoy reading domestic meal threads from years past.For the 2022 International Meals thread, click here.

Enjoy!

(h/t to MrAndy1369 for the format of this post)

FlyingLaw Jan 1, 2022 12:00 pm

Hi All,

I’ve been searching for the answer to these questions but have not been able to find a definitive answer….

I’m flying DCA-DFW-DEN the week after next in F. The DCA-DFW segment leaves at 10:55. From what I can tell, there will be a meal service, correct? I was looking on AA.com to see if 8 could find some confirmation but I don’t see anything. Also, does AA no longer have meal pre-selection?

For DFW-DEN, it will just be the snack basket, right?

TravelLawyer Jan 1, 2022 9:04 pm

Technically these meals were in 2021 during my holiday travels at the end of December.

AA 1543: ORD-SAN: 7:00 PM
Dinner
A321
First Class, 2C

No PDB.
Beverage service with bag of nuts, no non-nut option when asked (no pretzels or biscoff).
Dinner served rear to front, choice of turkey sandwich or mozzarella cheese sandwich. They did run out of the turkey sandwiches before row 1 was served. (Luckily did not have to experience the turkey-pastrami or pimento-cheese sandwiches.)

AA 1949: SAN-PHX: 10:09 AM
Beverage Service
A321
First Class, 2C

No PDB.
No Beverage Service.
No nuts, biscoff, pretzels.
No service whatsoever, nada, not even water.
I asked, and FA said this is not a beverage service flight (despite AA listing it as such). Has anyone ever experienced this? Flight was under 1 hour in the air.

AA 488: PHX-ORD: 1:45 PM
Lunch
787-9
First Class, 3D

No PDB.
Beverage service with choice of pretzels or nuts.
Lunch was served front to back, the same as my outbound flight with choice of turkey sandwich or mozzarella cheese sandwich.
Biscoff cookies offered after the meal.

TravelLawyer Jan 1, 2022 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingLaw (Post 33861235)
Hi All,

I’ve been searching for the answer to these questions but have not been able to find a definitive answer….

I’m flying DCA-DFW-DEN the week after next in F. The DCA-DFW segment leaves at 10:55. From what I can tell, there will be a meal service, correct? I was looking on AA.com to see if 8 could find some confirmation but I don’t see anything. Also, does AA no longer have meal pre-selection?

For DFW-DEN, it will just be the snack basket, right?

The meals (if any) should be stated in your flight confirmation. If it lists a meal without the ability to preselect choices, then you are getting a cold meal option that will be offered in flight only.

airb330 Jan 1, 2022 10:17 pm

DFW-HNL 789

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...569068b61.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9c85957a1.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...5d0621a6a.jpeg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...eb7a98701.jpeg
App was the tomato tart thing and I didn’t like it much. short rib with polenta was pretty good. Forgot to ask for chocolate suace with my sundae but at least it tasted good and it was in glass. Protein plate or fruit and cheese plate before
landing. Protein plate was fine.

No glassware for drinks which was very annoying. The cheap plastic cups weren’t even the AA ones, super flimsy even doubled up. Service on my side was OK, not so great on my husband’s.

FlyingLaw Jan 2, 2022 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by TravelLawyer (Post 33862605)
The meals (if any) should be stated in your flight confirmation. If it lists a meal without the ability to preselect choices, then you are getting a cold meal option that will be offered in flight only.

I Just checked my email confirmation… the “meals” section is blank. However, I did a “dummy booking” on AA.com for my flights, it says “meals: lunch”. Hmm…

ceebee100 Jan 3, 2022 9:16 am

Originally Posted by airb330 (Post 33862695)
DFW-HNL 789
No glassware for drinks which was very annoying. The cheap plastic cups weren’t even the AA ones, super flimsy even doubled up. Service on my side was OK, not so great on my husband’s.

They've got glassware for ice cream though. :rolleyes:

That makes absolutely no sense to me! I guess glasses can't spread Covid if they contain ice cream and ovens only spread Covid for passengers, not pilots!

ORDflyer92 Jan 3, 2022 9:28 am

Originally Posted by TravelLawyer (Post 33862593)
Technically these meals were in 2021 during my holiday travels at the end of December.

Dinner
A321
First Class, 2C

No PDB.
Beverage service with bag of nuts, no non-nut option when asked (no pretzels or biscoff).
Dinner served rear to front, choice of turkey sandwich or mozzarella cheese sandwich. They did run out of the turkey sandwiches before row 1 was served. (Luckily did not have to experience the turkey-pastrami or pimento-cheese sandwiches.)

Beverage Service
A321
First Class, 2C

No PDB.
No Beverage Service.
I asked, and FA said this is not a beverage service flight (despite AA listing it as such). Has anyone ever experienced this? Flight was under 1 hour in the air.

Lunch
787-9
First Class, 3D

No PDB.
Lunch was served front to back, the same as my outbound flight with choice of turkey sandwich or mozzarella cheese sandwich.

You've had some bad luck. I've flown Y ORD-SAN and there were definitely pretzels. I did have a recent flight where all the pretzel packs were punctured and they spilled everywhere so they cancelled pretzel service though.

Even on the shortest flights, if it's a 2 cabin aircraft, there has at least been limited beverage service so not sure what's going on with your SAN-PHX flight.

FlyingLaw Jan 3, 2022 9:32 am

Dinner
A321
First Class, 2C

No PDB.

Beverage Service
A321
First Class, 2C

No PDB.
No Beverage Service.

I flew DCA-PHL in November (flight is 112 Miles) and got a beverage service and a snack…..

Simon Schus Jan 3, 2022 10:20 am

Dinner
A321
First Class, 2C

No PDB.

Beverage Service
A321
First Class, 2C

No PDB.
No Beverage Service.

Lunch
787-9
First Class, 3D

No PDB.

As FlyingLaw mentioned, DCA-PHL is 112 miles and is one of the shorter flights that I've experienced so should be on the lower-end of expectations with regards to actually having a beverage service or not. It can regularly be 35 minutes to 45 minutes from take-off to touchdown.

I regularly fly DCA-PHL in F, the most recent being last week. On the DCA-PHL (or PHL-DCA) flights, the beverage/food service in First is omitted every so often (maybe 30-40% of the times that I have flown). This is usually accompanied by an announcement that:
  • 'due to turbulence, the Captain has asked us to take our seats for the duration of the flight'
  • 'due to turbulence on our ascent/decent, there is not enough time for a beverage service on this flight'.
Sometimes, though rarely, this is followed by: 'please ring the bell if you would like something in the meantime'. There have been some instances where I have no seen any noticeable turbulence. I've never had 'this is not a beverage service' before. though

In some of those instances, the above announcements have been made by the Captain or First so I have taken that as fair. Other times, there is no announcement by the Captain or First Officer; instead, the announcement is made by the cabin crew.

I once had a DCA-PHL crew though that said "due to turbulence, we are not able to collect your glasses and cups. Please finish up your drinks and hold them in your hand. We will not be able to collect them so this is an honor code everybody.". I think this is when I was in Main Cabin in the Main Cabin Extra seat which would have meant I was having a glass of wine pre-pandemic.

Having taken this flight many times, it is absolutely possible to do a food and beverage service - and get refills. It is helped if the cabin crew collect orders before takeoff, but it is regularly possible even with five or ten minutes or turbulence after take-off. This is true for Main Cabin too, and not just F.

formeraa Jan 3, 2022 11:27 am

Originally Posted by airb330 (Post 33862695)
DFW-HNL 789

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...569068b61.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9c85957a1.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...5d0621a6a.jpeg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...eb7a98701.jpeg
App was the tomato tart thing and I didn’t like it much. short rib with polenta was pretty good. Forgot to ask for chocolate suace with my sundae but at least it tasted good and it was in glass. Protein plate or fruit and cheese plate before
landing. Protein plate was fine.

I would have LOVED to have this meal on my 7 hours flight from PHX to HNL, but alas it was the turkey sandwich! The F FA did provide excellent service.

AAway Jan 3, 2022 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by ceebee100 (Post 33866728)
They've got glassware for ice cream though. :rolleyes:

That makes absolutely no sense to me! I guess glasses can't spread Covid if they contain ice cream and ovens only spread Covid for passengers, not pilots!

I don't believe it's related to potential Covid transmission, but rather due to supply chain and/or staffing issues.

ceebee100 Jan 3, 2022 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Simon Schus (Post 33866923)
As FlyingLaw mentioned, DCA-PHL is 112 miles and is one of the shorter flights that I've experienced so should be on the lower-end of expectations with regards to actually having a beverage service or not. It can regularly be 35 minutes to 45 minutes from take-off to touchdown.

I regularly fly DCA-PHL in F, the most recent being last week. On the DCA-PHL (or PHL-DCA) flights, the beverage/food service in First is omitted every so often (maybe 30-40% of the times that I have flown). This is usually accompanied by an announcement that:
  • 'due to turbulence, the Captain has asked us to take our seats for the duration of the flight'
  • 'due to turbulence on our ascent/decent, there is not enough time for a beverage service on this flight'.
Sometimes, though rarely, this is followed by: 'please ring the bell if you would like something in the meantime'. There have been some instances where I have no seen any noticeable turbulence. I've never had 'this is not a beverage service' before. though

In some of those instances, the above announcements have been made by the Captain or First so I have taken that as fair. Other times, there is no announcement by the Captain or First Officer; instead, the announcement is made by the cabin crew.

I once had a DCA-PHL crew though that said "due to turbulence, we are not able to collect your glasses and cups. Please finish up your drinks and hold them in your hand. We will not be able to collect them so this is an honor code everybody.". I think this is when I was in Main Cabin in the Main Cabin Extra seat which would have meant I was having a glass of wine pre-pandemic.

Having taken this flight many times, it is absolutely possible to do a food and beverage service - and get refills. It is helped if the cabin crew collect orders before takeoff, but it is regularly possible even with five or ten minutes or turbulence after take-off. This is true for Main Cabin too, and not just F.

As a former FA for a non US airline, I totally agree that it is possible to do a FULL meal service in less than 1 hr! BOTH First and Economy got meals on those flights! I did it for 5 years.

We would start heating the meals in the ovens while the plane was taxiing for take off so that by the time the seat belt sign came off, we were ready to put the meals in the cart and roll out. Sometimes it was a mad scramble at the end to clear everything up, but we did it.

My point is, these US airlines have no real excuse other than cheapness and laziness.

BWISkyGuy Jan 3, 2022 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by AAway (Post 33867899)
I don't believe it's related to potential Covid transmission, but rather due to supply chain and/or staffing issues.

That's it exactly... And when that particular caterer's station starts to run low and they have sundaes to cater (and the other supplies to fulfil the order), they prioritize the glasses for the sundaes because of portioning specs..

Fanjet Jan 3, 2022 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by ORDflyer92 (Post 33866749)

Even on the shortest flights, if it's a 2 cabin aircraft, there has at least been limited beverage service so not sure what's going on with your SAN-PHX flight.

Unless it was bad turbulence (which occasionally exits on this flight over the mountains/desert), it was most likely lazy FAs. I was on an AUS-DFW flight last week, and the FAs did a quick beverage service in F after take-off (Y had nothing). And that's a shorter flight by at least 20-25 minutes.

As for the catering issues regarding glassware. Isn't this really a staffing isuue? As in not enough staff to clean and restock the glassware. I mean, this glassware should have already been in stock at these catering stations prior to Covid. And there was absolutely no need to get rid of them because of it.