FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2056814-loyalty-points-discussion-questions-2022-now-used-determining-elite-status.html)

Hoi polloi Jan 18, 2022 8:44 am

Originally Posted by DreAAmliner (Post 33912545)
Hahaha This.
I am training P2 to always use the portal when buying anything online. If i get lucky, maybe she will even begin browsing the portal to see where she would get the most points for the same item. Baby steps...

Agree 100% - I just recently explained the situation to the wife and gave her the link. I mean, she shops online all the time anyways - so, she might as well stop by the ol' portal first and see what she can get.

coleslaw Jan 18, 2022 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Hoi polloi (Post 33912691)
Agree 100% - I just recently explained the situation to the wife and gave her the link. I mean, she shops online all the time anyways - so, she might as well stop by the ol' portal first and see what she can get.

Good practice in general - but it's might instead be worth checking CashBackMonitor which aggregates rates from multiple sources, including AAdvantage Shopping. Sometimes you'll get a much higher rate from other portals - e.g. Chase. You won't get LPs... but you might end up getting an even better deal.

psusaver Jan 18, 2022 11:01 am

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...bedb92cb39.jpg
AA mile and EQM earning listed. The Economy OW fare was $822.70 or so. The 'D" fare on JAL metal was $2777 RT, the other half is still to be flown.

For those 747-800i that are looking at the DEL-HND-JFK-HND-DEL fares (J /business class) on JAL. I booked and flew one leg of the DEL-HND-JFK-PIT recently. Actually I had booked till JFK then realized it was a pain to move luggage from airport to Amtrak etc and take the train the next day to Pittsburgh, so I called (from Delhi using my google voice no) the customer service in Tokyo, and they very helpfully changed my routing to PIT, and it only cost me an additional INR 1458 or so. (like a crisp $20 bill).

Anyhow, my miles just posted, the fare was a "D" fare on JAL business, and AA First class on AA 4530 (JFk-PIT). I was pleasantly surprised to see that this flight + an earlier OW to India on AA has helped me reach AA Gold status, my first ever earned "elite status" in any frequent flyer program since I began flying ~20 yrs ago. Here's a screenshot of the EQMs etc. That spreadsheet above is real cool jfkeze , but you get 6773 miles (one more :D) on HND-JFK. Of course AAdvantage wont be telling us about the LP till March or whenever, but the EQM and other details are here for this routing.

I really appreciated the 1000 EQM for the 180 base miles flight between JFK-PIT on F.
The Dec 28 flight was not PIT-JFK-DEL, it's showing only the first segment in the image/AAdv summary page. The ticket cost me $ 822. Also, I had to make this trip on short notice for a family emergency/death event so I booked OW. On the return I decided to go for Biz fare as even economy fares around Jan 11 were too pricey. The "D" fare on JAL came with no change fees so I was able to change the date and itinerary on two separate calls.

jtav559 Jan 18, 2022 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07 (Post 33911625)
How do you have Plastiq effectively pay yourself then? Don't you have to put a merchant? Do you put yourself in this case?

No, had to upload a pdf of the loan statement from the CU to get it setup. Check was issued to the CU.

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek (Post 33911723)
Recurring/scheduled payment setup before the loan was satisfied? -FlyerBeek

Yes to FlyerBeek.

The CU didn't know how to directly apply the check from Plastiq, so the dumped the funds into the member savings account instead of the car loan.

I think it was a bit of an anomaly with the CU and how they applied the funds, instead of a thing with Plastiq. Just happened to work in my favor.

brp Jan 18, 2022 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn (Post 33912483)
Three typos in one sentence? You need coffee!! :D

Yikes! Looked good when I wrote. it.

I found out that our CU can put the money directly to the mortgage, so we can use Plastiq in compliance with their rules, if need be.

Cheers.

vasantn Jan 18, 2022 3:04 pm

I've updated the "Flying" section of the Wiki to provide a hopefully understandable explanation of how LPs are calculated on AA and partner flights, since the question keeps coming up.

skunker Jan 18, 2022 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn (Post 33914085)
I've updated the "Flying" section of the Wiki to provide a hopefully understandable explanation of how LPs are calculated on AA and partner flights, since the question keeps coming up.

Thank you! There are still a lot of people that don't understand the math behind flying partners.

Of course they will just say the wiki isn't AA and won't believe it, but whatever. :D

Jonesdds Jan 18, 2022 5:58 pm

AA flying using Amex points with 35% rebate

For Amex plat business card holders. I have not heard this discussed unless I missed it. I’m assuming since redeemable miles earned is same as if purchased with cash that LP earnings both ways will be the same. Anyone asked AA about this?

vasantn Jan 18, 2022 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Jonesdds (Post 33914585)
For Amex plat business card holders. I have not heard this discussed unless I missed it. I’m assuming since redeemable miles earned is same as if purchased with cash that LP earnings both ways will be the same. Anyone asked AA about this?

I'm not clear on what you mean by "both ways".

Jonesdds Jan 18, 2022 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn (Post 33914673)
I'm not clear on what you mean by "both ways".

cash or Amex points

AB Dada Jan 18, 2022 6:42 pm

I’ve stayed up on this thread, but has anyone theorized how paid app upgrades might work? Right now, they generally provide EQM but not EQD…

I just paid a $140 upgrade so I can hopefully see in March if it credits as LP or not.

longtimereader firstimeposter Jan 18, 2022 6:58 pm

Anyone buying a bunch of prepaid Verizon plans for EXP? Looks like it would take about $1200 to earn EXP -

https://frequentmiler.com/6200-ameri...dium=Flipboard

vasantn Jan 18, 2022 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter (Post 33914741)
Anyone buying a bunch of prepaid Verizon plans for EXP? Looks like it would take about $1200 to earn EXP -

The article is very poorly written and confusing. It doesn't explain which of the offers to select and it also doesn't say whether you can cancel the service after the first month.

I seriously doubt that Verizon will let one person sign up for 30 prepaid plans and pay out 6200 miles each time.

I'd like to do it with just one line as it's a good price for LPs, but I'm confused about exactly how to do it.

jsteinberg Jan 18, 2022 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter (Post 33914741)

some of the comments people are having all types of error codes on checkout, still being charged and an order happening (and not tracking)

LlamaJesus Jan 18, 2022 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by jsteinberg (Post 33914804)
some of the comments people are having all types of error codes on checkout, still being charged and an order happening (and not tracking)

fwiw I did it once last night, stacking with the $75 off Amex offer, and it seems to have tracked ok since the eshopping site shows the 6200 miles already. So there are definitely ways to make it work. Shame I could only use that offer once, though lol.