Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Offer on App (and on website)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2021, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Upgrade Offer on App (and on website)

Seeing an upgrade offer of $49 on AA App, while the difference between what I paid and the current first class fare is $250+

I was under the impression that these offers were just upsells of the difference between the price paid and current first class fare. Are these offers now a way to sell upgrades that would otherwise go to elite members (a la UA)? Thanks in advance.
ChillyDawg likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 8:09 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Was this right before departure or well in advance?
Old Jul 19, 2021, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by donotblink
Was this right before departure or well in advance?
Four days prior to departure
Old Jul 19, 2021, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Yes, there are newer kinds of upgrades sold now. Look for whatever terms or fine print it offers up, but this kind likely books into full J and earns 3x EQM but you don’t earn EQD on the upgrade fee.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 3:46 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA Plat Pro, MLIfe Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Silly question regarding upgrade offers here. On my flights purchased directly from AA, I will see upgrade offers when viewing the trip through the app. When I purchase AA flights using amextravel.com , I am never presented with upgrade offers using the same viewing process in the app. I am still granted the ability to pick preferred and MCE seats. I still clear upgrades at my window and at the gate. But, I just never see an upgrade offer. Is this one of the caveats to using an OTA when booking with AA? None of my fares are BE or award flights of that helps.
not2017 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I was a little pissed-and I know how upgrades work-I was being offered a paid upgrade inside my complimentary upgrade window BWI-CLT yesterday/today. Oh well short flight. I rolled the dice. Still waiting.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Yea… rolling the dice here myself. Was offered upgrade in app ~$678. Passed.

offer went away once inside window until today now. Mere ~36 hrs before departure. Price now is $550.
GJCrawford and Mr. Vker like this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 10:18 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
I noticed this as well for an upcoming Shuttle flight, offering $75 in the app vs. the fare difference which was much higher. I took it.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Hey!! I just got upgrade it!! First Class. CLT to FLL. 24 hours in advance.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Yea… rolling the dice here myself. Was offered upgrade in app ~$678. Passed.

offer went away once inside window until today now. Mere ~36 hrs before departure. Price now is $550.

And the Revenue Management peeps are working it! Just peaked at reservations for tomorrow’s flight 29 hrs from now and the app is offering upgrade for $385 at the moment. Wonder what non-elites are being offered! lol

may have peaked to snatch it, but the “disclaimer” notice piqued my interest even more.

it indicates that “additional fees” may be needed to upgrade on additional flights. I have one connection outbound and a nonstop return. Hmmmm???!!!

Last edited by Zacnlinc; Aug 3, 2021 at 10:48 am
Old Jul 20, 2021, 7:12 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
so by offering all these pay upgrades, is AA saying that passengers waiting for a upgrade, either free or using stickers have been cleared.?
Old Jul 20, 2021, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by fotographer
so by offering all these pay upgrades, is AA saying that passengers waiting for a upgrade, either free or using stickers have been cleared.?
Not in my experience. I see the offers while I have an upgrade pending. Clearly AA wants to try to sell these seats first then give out upgrades (usually around T4 to T-24 or at the gate) to those seats that do not sell.
Mr. Vker and madmanshoney like this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Nope. Still waiting on EXP upgrade with a $49 offer to upgrade (the fare difference between what I paid and what F is currently selling for is $250+). I hope this is not the new normal. Offering the upsell (fare difference) was one thing and fine, but this is quite another.
JMN57 and haroon145 like this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 12:18 pm

not true indeed. In fact since my post earlier today, I was upgraded on connection out of DFW on 787. But Revenue Management is still holding on to the same five seats that have been available for the past two days.

I opted to just check-in two hours ago and now I’m on the waitlist. Peaked at the flight into DFW via a dummy booking at F/J is no longer available.

Let’s see how this turns out now. T-18 hrs. lol
Old Jul 20, 2021, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I went on AA app and I went into it. I got upgrade it again! From FLL to CLT. First Class.
knit-in likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.