Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Offer on App (and on website)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2023, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
The pricing on these upgrades makes little sense to me. Purchased my first ever in-app upgrade:

HND-DFW: from Main Cabin to Business on a 788: $350.

Meanwhile: the app wants $205 for a DEN-ORD upgrade to domestic first. No thanks.

The value to stage length ratio makes no sense.

at $350, I'll just hold on my SWUs for a future flight. Oh, and I suppose I could have also chosen to waitlist the HND-DFW upgrade for $350+25K miles. LOL..
355F1 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 12:01 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by bse118
The pricing on these upgrades makes little sense to me. Purchased my first ever in-app upgrade:

Meanwhile: the app wants $205 for a DEN-ORD upgrade to domestic first. No thanks.

The value to stage length ratio makes no sense.

at $350, I'll just hold on my SWUs for a future flight. Oh, and I suppose I could have also chosen to waitlist the HND-DFW upgrade for $350+25K miles. LOL..
$350 HND-DFW has to be one of the best flight length-price ratios, and even more value add for the lie flat seating on such a long haul. Someone is probably getting fired over that algorithm glitch.
bgasser, njvandy, 355F1 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Meanwhile - I am getting this for Y to F. Flight is wide open in F / J.

I had to attach a photo as this is the most absurd offer I’ve gotten to date:

Old Apr 10, 2023, 9:09 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb

What the serious heck>?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!
UAPremierGuy likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 9:10 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
$205 from MCO-PHX (5-hour flight)
#worthit
Old Apr 11, 2023, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 355F1
What the serious heck>?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!
Yep.

Base fare (originating in GMP) was something like $800. If that's what a transpac business upgrade is going to cost - there's very little reason why I as an EXP would ever buy a business fare outright. I don't need the LPs.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 7:39 pm

Programs: QF,VA Plat
Hi, newbie here, I'm flying as a OWE (Qantas Platinum) on CLT-DFW in May, and I have one of the $205 offers. My fare bucket is (S) - if I upgrade to domestic "First" with this offer, does the fare bucket change, or does it remain as "S"? This plays a role with the earning tables for Qantas, as I believe I will only earn 10 status credits for the S-bucket economy fare, but could get up to 40 for domestic first (Qantas equivalent- Business) - depending on which bucket it earns as.

Edit: sorry, I just see that post #449 addresses this - seems it will go into a domestic First fare class if upgraded prior to the day of departure, that's great.

Last edited by jpp42; Apr 12, 2023 at 9:34 pm
Old Apr 12, 2023, 8:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.

Wow.

I booked three separate itins today; on one, YUL/PHL/ATL, I was offered to u/g the PHL/ATL segment for $405.

D3Kingg likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 5:11 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
$205 seems to be the standard short haul offering at the moment. Either people are going for it (most people don’t care about LPs etc.) or the logic needs to be recalibrated.
Not sure if CLT-PHX is short haul (depends on what we are comparing it to), but I have $205 offers on both legs. Seeing as they are J7 two weeks out and both being crack of dawn flights, I’m taking my chances on getting a free upgrade.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 7:35 am

Programs: AA Plt Pro (2MM)
CLT-DCA in about 10 days (a Sunday morning)..$205
Old Apr 13, 2023, 9:45 am

Programs: BAEC
I've got a LHR-JFK-RDU and back Thanksgiving week. First leg on BA. Being offered $380 each way to go from MCE to J between JFK and RDU.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH, EK, QR
Is there anything that excludes a booking from being offered any in-app upgades? Do you need to be logged in with an AA FF account or are mixed cabin/mixed carrier bookings not supported?

Booked in January and travelling next week, I have a mixed class, outbound TATL PE then Economy to south America, returning business, with the TATL on BA. I'm a BA gold (OWE) but have never been offered any upgrade options in the app - just curious.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by GK1981
Is there anything that excludes a booking from being offered any in-app upgades? Do you need to be logged in with an AA FF account or are mixed cabin/mixed carrier bookings not supported?

Booked in January and travelling next week, I have a mixed class, outbound TATL PE then Economy to south America, returning business, with the TATL on BA. I'm a BA gold (OWE) but have never been offered any upgrade options in the app - just curious.
Is the ticket booked on AA 001 stock or on BA 125? If you bought the ticket from BA, then you'll not get in app offers for the AA operated flights. If it's on AA stock, then you might get offers but not guaranteed. See my post just above: it's an AA issued ticket with both BA and AA sectors. I get offers for the AA sectors. But nothing for the BA sectors.

No need to be logged in to AAdvantage account.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH, EK, QR
Originally Posted by RichieMc
Is the ticket booked on AA 001 stock or on BA 125? If you bought the ticket from BA, then you'll not get in app offers for the AA operated flights. If it's on AA stock, then you might get offers but not guaranteed. See my post just above: it's an AA issued ticket with both BA and AA sectors. I get offers for the AA sectors. But nothing for the BA sectors.

No need to be logged in to AAdvantage account.
Thanks.

Its a 001 ticket. All outbound sectors on AA. From reading the previous comments if there was going to be an offer made it would probably have been visible by now.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by GK1981
Thanks.

Its a 001 ticket. All outbound sectors on AA. From reading the previous comments if there was going to be an offer made it would probably have been visible by now.
Yeah. Mine are usually available immediately, or at least very soon after making the booking. Come to think of it, I've ALWAYS had offers on AA tickets for the AA segments, at least where it is possible to upgrade (i.e., you can't upgrade from domestic first class or where business is the highest class). This has even been on fairly complex multi-carrier bookings with BA, AY an AA sectors. Of course some times these offers are totally mental.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.