Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Offer on App (and on website)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2023, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by goldelite8
If upgraded to J on a premium transcon route, is there a chance I will receive an opportunity to buy up to Flagship First in the app or at check in? Any idea what these have been going for when the flight is very empty?
Yes, but receiving the buy-up offer in this instance is very hit-or-miss in my experience. Twice last year I received an F upgrade offer at check-in (IIRC, around $295) on an already upgraded ticket (using BXP1s) to J. Other times, there was no upgrade offer (twice even when F was empty, Y was oversold, and I was ultimately OPUP'd to F on an upgraded J ticket). So, YMMV.

-FlyerBeek
Old Mar 7, 2023, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP
Will the app let me choose a credit card for the upgrade, or does it default to the original form of purchase with no option to change?
Old Mar 7, 2023, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA, Hertz, Hyatt, Hilton
Originally Posted by Kate2015
Will the app let me choose a credit card for the upgrade, or does it default to the original form of purchase with no option to change?
It lets you pick the card you want to use.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 6:57 pm

Had a positive experience when canceling a ticket with a paid buy up offer. Was flying JFK - SNA, base Y ticket was $156, app buy-up to J was $440. Decided to cancel trip due to multiple days of storms/rain in CA. I got a flight credit for the $156, and the buy up offer ($440) was refunded back to my credit card. Was happy buy up offers can get cash refunds.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 6:08 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
Have a couple of tcons booked for the spring and the current app offers are more than the fare difference between Y and J / F. E.g., OW SFO-JFK is $320, J is 1,649 and the app offer is $1,901…

These are point to point with no odd routing) Has anyone else noticed this? I figure that it is probably a system glitch given how far out I am.
I just saw the same thing. I sometimes buy Y then pay to upgrade the difference, using the Y receipt for reimbursement. I just tried to do this specifically on SFO-JFK and after purchase the buy up offer was more than the current price of J, in this case about $350 for Y, $999 for J, and $1081 to buy up to J from the $350 Y fare.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 6:36 am

From the experience others have had, does the offer on the app change (for better or worse) the closer you get to travel date?
I have a Y to J/F offer on a LAX-DFW flight for early April but it’s $300+ for an early morning/breakfast flight. I don’t think it’s worth it, and I see the F cabin is mostly empty so hopeful for an upgrade with status but even if I don’t get it, I don’t mind it.
Do you all think the upgrade is bound to be cheaper at check in or does it remain the same?
Old Mar 15, 2023, 6:38 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by NickRivas
From the experience others have had, does the offer on the app change (for better or worse) the closer you get to travel date?
I have a Y to J/F offer on a LAX-DFW flight for early April but it’s $300+ for an early morning/breakfast flight. I don’t think it’s worth it, and I see the F cabin is mostly empty so hopeful for an upgrade with status but even if I don’t get it, I don’t mind it.
Do you all think the upgrade is bound to be cheaper at check in or does it remain the same?
The lowest the offers get nowadays is $205 (from what I have seen), regardless of flight length. I wouldn’t pay for this upgrade regardless of the price, but especially if F is wide open.
NickRivas likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 12:37 pm

Programs: WN A-list Preferred and CP, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, RIP Kimpton
3.22 JFK-LHR (red-eye flight)
PE to J - $1500
PE to F - $3000

3.31 LHR-DFW (AM departure)
Y to J - $698

Haven't ever seen it below $900 on Y to J before so I jumped on the $698 (especially with 2 window seats still available). Only one cheaper I've ever had was $550 PE to J on BA at the gate for an overnight DFW-LHR last December.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
21 Mar AA104 JFK-LHR - J to F: $600 (pass)
Old Mar 20, 2023, 1:43 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Finally bit on one of these offers.

Company-paid ticket flying DFW-CUN in May....EF is showing J3.....upgrade offer has been showing $380 and today it was $190. Pretty fair deal considering an F ticket at time of purchase was substantially more.

$190 for 2.5hr flight sounds good to me.

Old Mar 20, 2023, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by mctrees02
3.22 JFK-LHR (red-eye flight)
PE to J - $1500
PE to F - $3000

3.31 LHR-DFW (AM departure)
Y to J - $698

Haven't ever seen it below $900 on Y to J before so I jumped on the $698 (especially with 2 window seats still available). Only one cheaper I've ever had was $550 PE to J on BA at the gate for an overnight DFW-LHR last December.
Was offered a $205 upgrade on LAX-LAS Y to F on a Wednesday night flight. Was auto upgraded anyway. The dynamic pricing model needs a little more tuning. The price did not match the lack of demand.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 6:05 pm

It seems like the system is programmed to offer a minimum of $205 upgrade fee for all very short haul domestic flights.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 8:40 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
It seems like the system is programmed to offer a minimum of $205 upgrade fee for all very short haul domestic flights.
Gone are the days of nabbing $49 upgrades on ~500 mile trips. Maybe that will leave a seat or two open for the elite/comp upgrades.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 8:45 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
$196 x 3 tickets bought MCO-PHL in early August. The upgrade offer is...wait for it... $1527 PER PERSON. ExpertFlyer shows J7 and a wide open seat map. The up-fare to go to true F(and earn LPs) would "only" cost $750.

AA really needs to fire whoever is designing the algorithm(s) that price these offers. It can't be that hard to do a check on what I paid versus what I could upfare for before making such an out of the stratosphere offer for a 2 hour domestic flight.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 3:51 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Historical data point:

9th March - ORD-MIA - 7am departure on a 787.. booked 7 days prior.. offer in app showed $450-$390 - auto upgraded at T-72
17th March - MIA-ORD - 12.10pm departure on 787.. booked 15 days prior.. offer in app showed $390-$310 - auto upgraded at T-72

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.