FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   "Worth it" to upgrade to F on AA CRJ-700 flight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2042232-worth-upgrade-f-aa-crj-700-flight.html)

squiddz Jun 10, 2021 8:45 am

"Worth it" to upgrade to F on AA CRJ-700 flight?

I have a chance to (pay for an) upgrade to 1st on a 3-hour flight on an AA CRJ-700 flight. I realize this isn't like a flagship A321 or anything - but was wondering if anyone had opinions on whether that upgrade was worth paying for or not. It's a short flight and not a spacious plane. Still, I welcome opinions.

Does it still feel like first class? Or just feel like you are in the front of a plane?

Thank you in advance.

iadisgreat Jun 10, 2021 8:47 am

Originally Posted by squiddz (Post 33317909)
I have a chance to (pay for an) upgrade to 1st on a 3-hour flight on an AA CRJ-700 flight. I realize this isn't like a flagship A321 or anything - but was wondering if anyone had opinions on whether that upgrade was worth paying for or not. It's a short flight and not a spacious plane. Still, I welcome opinions.

Does it still feel like first class? Or just feel like you are in the front of a plane?

Thank you in advance.

It'll be 1-2 instead of 2-2 and you'll get drinks and maybe a snack (like chips or something). Seat is bigger.

mvoight Jun 10, 2021 8:53 am

Depends on the cost, for me. Whether it is worth it depends on how you value the cost and what you receive

Antarius Jun 10, 2021 9:08 am

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 33317943)
Depends on the cost, for me. Whether it is worth it depends on how you value the cost and what you receive

This.

​​​

physicsdude Jun 10, 2021 9:34 am

Agreed.

This is just me, but if flights are less than four hours, I just stick in economy as I don't think it's worth to pay more for something that's only slightly better.

squiddz Jun 10, 2021 9:49 am

Thanks for the info - guess it's up to me whether that is worth the extra $$. Thank you.

Austin787 Jun 10, 2021 10:08 am

If a seat on the 1-seat side is open, I'd pay to upgrade as long as the price is no more than $50 per hour. The extra privacy makes the price worth it to me.

squiddz Jun 10, 2021 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Austin787 (Post 33318143)
If a seat on the 1-seat side is open, I'd pay to upgrade as long as the price is no more than $50 per hour. The extra privacy makes the price worth it to me.

Privacy is important to me as well. Thank you.

diaspora04 Jun 10, 2021 11:34 am

Getting off the plane first and retrieving your yellow-tagged, gate checked bag first is also a benefit, especially if you have a tight connection.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Jun 10, 2021 11:47 am

A lot would depend upon the amount. I upfared on a DEN/LAX CR7 flight a few months back for something like $150. A 3 hour flight is the breaking point for me when F "is really worth it" (because in actuality you're on the plane for 3.5 hours +) but I wouldn't spend a fortune.

ksweeney Jun 10, 2021 11:54 am

Until recently, its been a relatively easy to decision to pay for an upgrade on CRJ-700s. If I'm traveling by myself, I check to see if an "A" seat is available. I the only seats available are on the 2 seat side and I'm by myself I tend to stay in coach and hope for the upgrade since the 2 seat side is a little tight on space. If I'm traveling with my wife, I look for the 2 side to be open. Lately, the decision is not as easy since the delta between coach and first fares has been rising lately - a good sign that traffic is picking up!

JE_Miller Jun 10, 2021 12:30 pm

Yeah, I'm quite fond of the single-seat side of F on the various regionals. Got a $50 upgrade on an AS flight (AA codeshare) SLC-SFO back in January, it was a no-brainer as I'd have had to pay for checked bag in Y.

shimps1 Jun 10, 2021 12:36 pm

On a 3 hour flight I would absolutely jump at that, if it was $50/hr or less, a single seat, and not the bulkhead.

mvoight Jun 10, 2021 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by JE_Miller (Post 33318653)
Yeah, I'm quite fond of the single-seat side of F on the various regionals. Got a $50 upgrade on an AS flight (AA codeshare) SLC-SFO back in January, it was a no-brainer as I'd have had to pay for checked bag in Y.

Happily another charge a lot of us don't have any more, since AS is in OW

ORDflyer92 Jun 10, 2021 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by diaspora04 (Post 33318437)
Getting off the plane first and retrieving your yellow-tagged, gate checked bag first is also a benefit, especially if you have a tight connection.

I don't think priority stickers have ever made a difference on gate checked bags for CRJ flights. But getting off the plane first is a nice benefit if you don't have a gate checked bag, since you can head straight to your connection.