Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Worth it" to upgrade to F on AA CRJ-700 flight?

Old Jun 10, 2021, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Diamond

I have a chance to (pay for an) upgrade to 1st on a 3-hour flight on an AA CRJ-700 flight. I realize this isn't like a flagship A321 or anything - but was wondering if anyone had opinions on whether that upgrade was worth paying for or not. It's a short flight and not a spacious plane. Still, I welcome opinions.

Does it still feel like first class? Or just feel like you are in the front of a plane?

Thank you in advance.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by squiddz
I have a chance to (pay for an) upgrade to 1st on a 3-hour flight on an AA CRJ-700 flight. I realize this isn't like a flagship A321 or anything - but was wondering if anyone had opinions on whether that upgrade was worth paying for or not. It's a short flight and not a spacious plane. Still, I welcome opinions.

Does it still feel like first class? Or just feel like you are in the front of a plane?

Thank you in advance.
It'll be 1-2 instead of 2-2 and you'll get drinks and maybe a snack (like chips or something). Seat is bigger.
squiddz likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Depends on the cost, for me. Whether it is worth it depends on how you value the cost and what you receive
Antarius, squiddz and iskingolf like this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mvoight
Depends on the cost, for me. Whether it is worth it depends on how you value the cost and what you receive
This.

​​​
squiddz likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 9:34 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
Agreed.

This is just me, but if flights are less than four hours, I just stick in economy as I don't think it's worth to pay more for something that's only slightly better.
squiddz likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info - guess it's up to me whether that is worth the extra $$. Thank you.
Antarius and mvoight like this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
If a seat on the 1-seat side is open, I'd pay to upgrade as long as the price is no more than $50 per hour. The extra privacy makes the price worth it to me.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Austin787
If a seat on the 1-seat side is open, I'd pay to upgrade as long as the price is no more than $50 per hour. The extra privacy makes the price worth it to me.
Privacy is important to me as well. Thank you.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM HHonors Diamond
Getting off the plane first and retrieving your yellow-tagged, gate checked bag first is also a benefit, especially if you have a tight connection.
onanisland likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
A lot would depend upon the amount. I upfared on a DEN/LAX CR7 flight a few months back for something like $150. A 3 hour flight is the breaking point for me when F "is really worth it" (because in actuality you're on the plane for 3.5 hours +) but I wouldn't spend a fortune.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
Until recently, its been a relatively easy to decision to pay for an upgrade on CRJ-700s. If I'm traveling by myself, I check to see if an "A" seat is available. I the only seats available are on the 2 seat side and I'm by myself I tend to stay in coach and hope for the upgrade since the 2 seat side is a little tight on space. If I'm traveling with my wife, I look for the 2 side to be open. Lately, the decision is not as easy since the delta between coach and first fares has been rising lately - a good sign that traffic is picking up!
Old Jun 10, 2021, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA/BA
Yeah, I'm quite fond of the single-seat side of F on the various regionals. Got a $50 upgrade on an AS flight (AA codeshare) SLC-SFO back in January, it was a no-brainer as I'd have had to pay for checked bag in Y.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 12:36 pm

On a 3 hour flight I would absolutely jump at that, if it was $50/hr or less, a single seat, and not the bulkhead.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JE_Miller
Yeah, I'm quite fond of the single-seat side of F on the various regionals. Got a $50 upgrade on an AS flight (AA codeshare) SLC-SFO back in January, it was a no-brainer as I'd have had to pay for checked bag in Y.
Happily another charge a lot of us don't have any more, since AS is in OW
Antarius likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by diaspora04
Getting off the plane first and retrieving your yellow-tagged, gate checked bag first is also a benefit, especially if you have a tight connection.
I don't think priority stickers have ever made a difference on gate checked bags for CRJ flights. But getting off the plane first is a nice benefit if you don't have a gate checked bag, since you can head straight to your connection.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.