Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

UA to buy 10 Boom supersonic jets by decade's end. Will AA respond?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to buy 10 Boom supersonic jets by decade's end. Will AA respond?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2021, 9:59 am

Like some of you, I'm an avid aircraft model collector, so I'm hoping AA, DL, and other airlines sign tentative commitments for Booms, just so I can add models of Booms in these airlines' schemes to my collection.

A major diecast model maker has built limited edition Concorde models in the schemes of airlines that ordered Concorde, but never took delivery. I have models of Concordes in the colors of United, Continental, Air India, Lufthansa, TWA, and Sabena. It would be fun to have a collection of Boom models like this someday.

Old Jun 4, 2021, 10:04 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
No, they won't. It's premature to call this a failure, but I am in the skeptical crowd as well.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
Like some of you, I'm an avid aircraft model collector, so I'm hoping AA, DL, and other airlines sign tentative commitments for Booms, just so I can add models of Booms in these airlines' schemes to my collection.

A major diecast model maker has built limited edition Concorde models in the schemes of airlines that ordered Concorde, but never took delivery. I have models of Concordes in the colors of United, Continental, Air India, Lufthansa, TWA, and Sabena. It would be fun to have a collection of Boom models like this someday.
Air India
Old Jun 4, 2021, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by lsquare
Maybe they can further optimize the flight times? You got any ideas?
I don't, because I don't think it is possible to neutralize the physiological effects of time zone jumping with supersonic flight times.

Two decades ago, did anyone thought Tesla would exist today if we didn't had a guy with a vision and will to realize his dream?
Tesla's an interesting analogy because Tesla, like Concorde, is a boutique product, more about status and image than practicality. Teslas cost $50k to $125k and owns aboout a 1% share of the US car market. It's creating buzz but not changing the world; Boom is Tesla, the Toyota Corolla is the standard 777.
JoeDTW likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by BearX220
I don't, because I don't think it is possible to neutralize the physiological effects of time zone jumping with supersonic flight times.
I guess we mind as well give up and just focus on making existing subsonic flights carbon neutral...

Tesla's an interesting analogy because Tesla, like Concorde, is a boutique product, more about status and image than practicality. Teslas cost $50k to $125k and owns aboout a 1% share of the US car market. It's creating buzz but not changing the world; Boom is Tesla, the Toyota Corolla is the standard 777.
I'm pretty sure the Model 3 is cheaper than that. Regardless, Tesla is rumored to be introducing an even cheaper model in the near future. My point is that Tesla helped us realized that electrification of the car is possible. It has got the attention of the industry. It now has scale and will become cheaper over time. Perhaps Boom could be that moment that lits the spark?

Last edited by lsquare; Jun 4, 2021 at 1:03 pm
Old Jun 4, 2021, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I'm pretty sure the Model 3 is cheaper than that. Regardless, Tesla is rumored to be introducing an even cheaper model in the near future. My point is that Tesla helped us realized that electrification of the car is possible. It has got the attention of the industry. It now has scale and will become cheaper over time. Perhaps Boom could be that moment that the spark?
It is cheaper even without the tax incentives. My gf has one and it's a nice car. It isn't the be all and end all, but it definitely is something that few predicted would be this mainstream a mere few years ago.

trying new things is a good thing.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 3:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.

Two decades ago, did anyone thought Tesla would exist today if we didn't had a guy with a vision and will to realize his dream?.
With regards to Tesla -- absolutely. Breaking through on electric car performance to the degree that Tesla has, has never been limited to needing 'a guy with a vision'. Electric cars have been around for a long time, the dream to get ones that act and perform well has been a regular feature in magazines for 50 years, and 20 years ago, a number of projects (startups and major manufacturers) were already working this. I would wager that without Tesla, we would have any number of other companies taking the limited space and market they have by now (and, to be frank, they'd be probably better run, more focused companies. I respect Tesla, my god, the amount of capital they have been awash in will do wonders anywhere and sucked the oxygen out of the room for too many other players).

I understand what you guys are saying, but I think we should hope that humanity eventually solve this problem and realize faster flights across the board. Just because something is difficult doesn't mean we shouldn't try. Humanity should do this not because it's easy, but because it's hard.
I think of all the difficult things though, faster air travel just isn't one that works economically, let alone one that will capture the hearts and dreams of anyone outside of enthusiasts and the uber wealthy. People don't fly to Bali because it takes too long, people don't fly to Bali because they are poor.

Anyways, I enjoy this thread. I really find the Concorde program to be very interesting and though I never got to ride in one, I have read a handful of books about it and I travelled to Seattle recently in large part to visit one at the Seattle Air and Space Museum (highlight of my trip). What I see in Boom though is nothing short of a vanity project and I don't see why any airline should bother with it. UA is probably thinking why not get some free news stories and 'sign off' on a waffly agreement.

I can't really get excited about this -- The real breakthroughs in aviation that airlines should be exploring is how to get to a system of low (or no) CO2 emissions while still connecting the world in a way that is financially reachable for the masses.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 4:16 pm

Two decades ago, did anyone thought Tesla would exist today if we didn't had a guy with a vision and will to realize his dream?
Right guy. Wrong business(es).

If you told me years ago that a private company (SpaceX) would be launching, landing, and reusing dozens of rockets annually, I wouldn't have believed you. And if you told me the company that doing it from Kennedy Space Center's hallowed Launch Complex 39A, I'd have said that's crazy talk.

(Of course, I never would have believed that the US would become dependent on Russia rockets to get our people to the International Space Station. But, that's off topic, I suppose.)

The other Musk company to watch is The Boring Company. It's still too early to tell, but they have the potential to disrupt public transportation in a positive way. Instead of spending billions to acquire land to build a rail line, in the near future a city might be able to spend a few hundred million for an underground busway.

As a person, I find Elon Musk to be rather off-putting. But, I can't deny he has vision and more importantly he seems able to hire the right people to make his ideas reality.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 2:51 pm

The goal would be to have high revenue passengers from AA and DL move to United.
Spanish likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AndyAA
AA should announce a different service in response, instant transport via teleportation. That'll cut down DFW-SYD to just a couple of seconds. It will have about the same chance of becoming reality as the Boom / UA deal.
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
The only thing I see AA focusing on is how many seats can be jammed into this particular a/c?
But if it's just for a couple of seconds.. most of us could handle that
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by Tango
The goal would be to have high revenue passengers from AA and DL move to United.
A good point.
But United has F board after half the airplane - couldn't get my overhead stuff stored for several rows back in economy the last time I mistakenly flew them E170/175 to save a buck. They'll have to work on that.

Last edited by Spanish; Jun 7, 2021 at 6:05 am Reason: poore spelllings

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.