FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Dallas to Lima, Peru AA flight times and requirements (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2034330-dallas-lima-peru-aa-flight-times-requirements.html)

enviroian Feb 17, 2021 10:40 pm

Dallas to Lima, Peru AA flight times and requirements

I appreciate 1. there are non stops to LIma 2. It's a 787 3. SWU redemption wide open at booking

That being said WHY does AA operate the crazy hours....arrive Lima at midnight and the non stop back leaves Lima at 2:15 AM. LOL

Anyone know what AA's mindset is here?

carlosdca Feb 17, 2021 10:57 pm

What's new? That flight has always had similar times from as far as I can recall.

United has similar schedule out of IAH
Latam most consistent flight from LAX? Same. Depart noon , arrive LIM late night.
Return to US red-eye.

I like the DFW flight red-eye to US. Long enough to sleep. Flat seat.

As far as what AA is thinking. Nothing different to what UA or latam are thinking. LIM is not a premium market. They schedule the flights with most efficient aircraft usage in mind most likely.

Isn't Peru requiring 14 days quarantine upon international arrival. Why would you want to do this flight anyways?

enviroian Feb 17, 2021 11:13 pm

No quarantine required with negative test

carlosdca Feb 17, 2021 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 33044738)

INCORRECT
Upon arriving in LIM you need to quarantine for 14 days. Or quarantine for 6 days and get a PCR test on day 6, which needs to result negative.
SO you are required to quarantine at least for 6 days.
​​​​​​
​​​
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4e0c516452.jpg

enviroian Feb 17, 2021 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca (Post 33044747)
INCORRECT
Upon arriving in LIM you need to quarantine for 14 days. Or quarantine for 6 days and get a PCR test on day 6, which needs to result negative.
SO you are required to quarantine at least for 6 days.
​​​​​​
​​​

got it. CNN’s website is wrong then.

thanks for the correction.

fotographer Feb 18, 2021 7:06 am

you think that is crazy timing.. you should see what the timing are for flights in and out of BOM

Herb687 Feb 18, 2021 8:06 am

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 33044705)

Yes. Lots of people, apparently. Have you looked at a clock?

Equipment utilization is the most obvious reason (ref: look at a clock). Maximizing connect opportunities being the other (as it's a market with little local traffic).

AA has operated DFW-LIM off and on for at least 21 years. As far as I remember, it's always been an evening southbound, early AM redeye northbound pattern. I've flown ATL-LIM on DL and the pattern is exactly the same. Ditto for DFW-BOG on AA.

tkelvin69 Feb 18, 2021 8:08 am

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 33044738)

Peru has some of the strictest conditions regarding movement and activties of any south american country.

carlosdca Feb 18, 2021 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687 (Post 33045346)
Equipment utilization is the most obvious reason (ref: look at a clock). Maximizing connect opportunities being the other (as it's a market with little local traffic).

Yeah, this is it most likely.

Arriving late at night in LIM is tough if connecting to a tourist destination, since over night is required or hanging out at the airport for 4+ hours until the first domestic flights to Cuzco (usually 4AM or 5AM flights).
But, arriving at DFW in the early AM allows for multiple options to connect to mostly all destinations in the US. A late arrival at DFW would reduce the options to connect or increase the risk of missing the last flight of the day to your US destination.

I think the current schedule works the best.
For tourists, one or two nights in LIM is not bad either. It is a nice pit stop before heading out to Cusco or wherever else.

Often1 Feb 18, 2021 3:29 pm

Better timings will go to higher PRASM routes.

millionmiler Feb 18, 2021 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca (Post 33044719)
What's new? That flight has always had similar times from as far as I can recall.

Well not always but for a very long time. At one time early on (1990s) it was an very early morning arrival in LIM and a day flight back. I took it both ways many times. Obviously so long ago that its ancient history.

theboss7593 Feb 18, 2021 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 33044705)
I appreciate 1. there are non stops to LIma 2. It's a 787 3. SWU redemption wide open at booking

That being said WHY does AA operate the crazy hours....arrive Lima at midnight and the non stop back leaves Lima at 2:15 AM. LOL

It could also be LATAM's doing via a slot control (there are slot controls at LIM) to force CUZ traffic to come in on the Overnight AM arrivals (on their own metal) with well timed onwards connections to CUZ.