Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Dallas to Lima, Peru AA flight times and requirements

Old Feb 17, 21, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P

I appreciate 1. there are non stops to LIma 2. It's a 787 3. SWU redemption wide open at booking

That being said WHY does AA operate the crazy hours....arrive Lima at midnight and the non stop back leaves Lima at 2:15 AM. LOL

Anyone know what AA's mindset is here?
Old Feb 17, 21, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
What's new? That flight has always had similar times from as far as I can recall.

United has similar schedule out of IAH
Latam most consistent flight from LAX? Same. Depart noon , arrive LIM late night.
Return to US red-eye.

I like the DFW flight red-eye to US. Long enough to sleep. Flat seat.

As far as what AA is thinking. Nothing different to what UA or latam are thinking. LIM is not a premium market. They schedule the flights with most efficient aircraft usage in mind most likely.

Isn't Peru requiring 14 days quarantine upon international arrival. Why would you want to do this flight anyways?
Old Feb 17, 21, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No quarantine required with negative test
Old Feb 17, 21, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
INCORRECT
Upon arriving in LIM you need to quarantine for 14 days. Or quarantine for 6 days and get a PCR test on day 6, which needs to result negative.
SO you are required to quarantine at least for 6 days.
​​​​​​
​​​

Last edited by carlosdca; Feb 18, 21 at 1:01 am
Old Feb 17, 21, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carlosdca View Post
INCORRECT
Upon arriving in LIM you need to quarantine for 14 days. Or quarantine for 6 days and get a PCR test on day 6, which needs to result negative.
SO you are required to quarantine at least for 6 days.
​​​​​​
​​​
got it. CNNís website is wrong then.

thanks for the correction.
Old Feb 18, 21, 7:06 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
you think that is crazy timing.. you should see what the timing are for flights in and out of BOM
Old Feb 18, 21, 8:06 am

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Yes. Lots of people, apparently. Have you looked at a clock?

Equipment utilization is the most obvious reason (ref: look at a clock). Maximizing connect opportunities being the other (as it's a market with little local traffic).

AA has operated DFW-LIM off and on for at least 21 years. As far as I remember, it's always been an evening southbound, early AM redeye northbound pattern. I've flown ATL-LIM on DL and the pattern is exactly the same. Ditto for DFW-BOG on AA.
Old Feb 18, 21, 8:08 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Peru has some of the strictest conditions regarding movement and activties of any south american country.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 21, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
Equipment utilization is the most obvious reason (ref: look at a clock). Maximizing connect opportunities being the other (as it's a market with little local traffic).
Yeah, this is it most likely.

Arriving late at night in LIM is tough if connecting to a tourist destination, since over night is required or hanging out at the airport for 4+ hours until the first domestic flights to Cuzco (usually 4AM or 5AM flights).
But, arriving at DFW in the early AM allows for multiple options to connect to mostly all destinations in the US. A late arrival at DFW would reduce the options to connect or increase the risk of missing the last flight of the day to your US destination.

I think the current schedule works the best.
For tourists, one or two nights in LIM is not bad either. It is a nice pit stop before heading out to Cusco or wherever else.
SJOGuy likes this.
Old Feb 18, 21, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Better timings will go to higher PRASM routes.
Old Feb 18, 21, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca View Post
What's new? That flight has always had similar times from as far as I can recall.
Well not always but for a very long time. At one time early on (1990s) it was an very early morning arrival in LIM and a day flight back. I took it both ways many times. Obviously so long ago that its ancient history.
Old Feb 18, 21, 4:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, AMEX PLAT (noted for club access reference), Amtrak Select
I appreciate 1. there are non stops to LIma 2. It's a 787 3. SWU redemption wide open at booking

That being said WHY does AA operate the crazy hours....arrive Lima at midnight and the non stop back leaves Lima at 2:15 AM. LOL

It could also be LATAM's doing via a slot control (there are slot controls at LIM) to force CUZ traffic to come in on the Overnight AM arrivals (on their own metal) with well timed onwards connections to CUZ.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: