FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA Platinum Pro now oneworld Emerald (effective 30 June 2021) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2030114-aa-platinum-pro-now-oneworld-emerald-effective-30-june-2021-a.html)

Mwenenzi Dec 10, 2020 11:24 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 32876355)
What about the QF lounge at SYD?

Yes, when or if they reopen. The QF F lounges at SYD and MEL are currently closed. These are for international flights only. QF have parked, until 2023, the only QF aircraft with F seats (A380)

Reducing the requirements for OWE is unusual
https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits

https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...2/default.aspx

<snip>
Starting in early 2021, Platinum Pro members will also receive oneworld Emerald status with the oneworld Alliance, the world’s fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance. Members will enjoy additional perks such as first class priority check-in, access to first and business class lounges, fast track at select security lanes, higher priority for waitlists and standby, priority boarding and priority baggage handling when they travel on our oneworld partner airlines.
<snip>

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier (Post 32876467)
Their is not a date set for when PPs become emeralds (prob when AS joins ow). So you will have to wait until the 2021 online benefits guide is released to see this

I mean it was just announced! Give aa time to update everything.

The AA link states "Starting in early 2021". I would not consider the AS OW joining date of March 31 2021 early 2021

asnovici Dec 10, 2020 11:25 am

It means EXP can now get up to 5 SWUs with 100K EQMs. One on the way when they hit PP and four extra when they hit EXP.

JDiver Dec 10, 2020 11:43 am

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 32876258)
Even more important are the QR lounges at DOH. ;)

I had dropped in status and only earned PPro this year, due to some mileage runs in January. I was toying with a buy-up offer to EXP but wasn't sure it would be worth it (using miles or $$$) due to not knowing when I will get the vaccine. At least it seems that PPro will be a decent status to have for when I get back to some travel (hopefully by the second half of 2021).

Er, no. Qatar does not allow Emeralds access to their true First Class lounge, the Al Safwa Lounge, only to a separately operated Oryx lounge that isn’t at all the equivalent. And discounted First or “Basic” Business tickets won’t get one access to the Al Safwa or Al Mourjan lounges either.

In my opinion, some other oneworld airlines are likely to respond to this move by repeating what BA and QR have done - restrict their most premium lounge to those actually flying First Class and remove it from the oneworld lounge access agreement.

JDiver Dec 10, 2020 11:46 am

Originally Posted by hp12c (Post 32876499)
And actually, I just remembered something that may be helpful for EXPs down the road... Oneworld was supposed to unveil alliance-wide upgrade instruments by the end of this year. That would be a meaningful benefit.

If that’s going to work like the upgrade options using AA miles on BA and IB, that won’t offer much in the way of usefulness.

brewdog11 Dec 10, 2020 11:47 am

HUGE enhancement! This has to be the first customer-friendly enhancement in a long time. For those of us who fly primarily on foreign OW carriers, the Platinum Pro OW Emerald benefits make qualifying for EXP even more dubious. Since I've been flying more often on CX and QR, the SWUs are barely relevant to me anyway.

hp12c Dec 10, 2020 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 32876769)
If that’s going to work like the upgrade options using AA miles on BA and IB, that won’t offer much in the way of usefulness.

Completely agree, but one can hope that they provide something quite a bit more useful than that.

NYC Flyer Dec 10, 2020 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by chriseng (Post 32876638)
Wonder if adding OWE to PPro was in response to Alaska making MVP Gold 75k the OWE level.

Likely a jointly negotiated point amongst relevant OW members rather than a response.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 32876714)
The AA link states "Starting in early 2021". I would not consider the AS OW joining date of March 31 2021 early 2021

I think there's an argument Q1 is approximately "early 2021", but there's no real reason to delay until AS joins OW to effect the change, either.

enviroian Dec 10, 2020 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 32876479)
I'm surprised AA didn't enhance EXP even more. Platinum Pro is definitely the sweetspot now.

not really. OWE lounge status? Yay. SWU's are the crown jewel of perks.

lsquare Dec 10, 2020 1:33 pm

And actually, I just remembered something that may be helpful for EXPs down the road... Oneworld was supposed to unveil alliance-wide upgrade instruments by the end of this year. That would be a meaningful benefit.

I'm not particularly hopeful about it. *A upgrades aren't that good. I would be surprised if OW make a game-changing decision.

lsquare Dec 10, 2020 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 32876933)
not really. OWE lounge status? Yay. SWU's are the crown jewel of perks.

Are SWUs easy to use?

lsquare Dec 10, 2020 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 32876758)
Er, no. Qatar does not allow Emeralds access to their true First Class lounge, the Al Safwa Lounge, only to a separately operated Oryx lounge that isn’t at all the equivalent. And discounted First or “Basic” Business tickets won’t get one access to the Al Safwa or Al Mourjan lounges either.

In my opinion, some other oneworld airlines are likely to respond to this move by repeating what BA and QR have done - restrict their most premium lounge to those actually flying First Class and remove it from the oneworld lounge access agreement.

Boo! What's the value of OWE at that point? CX have some really amazing lounges.

Mwenenzi Dec 10, 2020 1:44 pm

If it does happen expect it to be like the equivalent Star Alliance upgrade system. Heavy on t&c's and useless for most people. It will not be at the low levels required for AA freq flyers on AA flights.
The upgrade philosophy and practices between USA airlines and non USA airlines is vastly different--> more opposite. On non USA airlines always expect to fly in the cabin you buy.

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 32877043)
Boo! What's the value of OWE at that point? CX have some really amazing lounges.

OWE is a step above OWS. Has more OW benefits https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits#benefits
But OWS is the sweet spot as it gives lounge access (subject to details rules, mainly for AA)
I expect and hope JDiver is referring to QF F lounges.
QF has a status level above QF Platinum (OWE) -- Platinium One(OWE). AA have effectually made AA ExpPlat(OWE) a level above AA PlatPro (OWE)

jackjennings Dec 10, 2020 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 32877043)

The airlines that are doing this (restricting their highest quality lounge to actual F/J pax) are still making dedicated lounges available for OWE (Doha First Class lounge, Galleries First); just not their top-tier lounges. If CX followed suit (personally I think it's unlikely; plenty of OWEs fly CX just for their lounges) I would expect them to turn one of their F lounges into F only, and keep the rest as F/OWE. But I'm by no means an expert.

Fonsini Dec 10, 2020 2:15 pm

Deck chairs / Titanic.

AAway Dec 10, 2020 2:19 pm

Maybe they can move Plat Pro to Group 2 boarding too!