FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Admirals Club / Lounges: Openings, Closures, etc. 2021-2022 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2018806-admirals-club-lounges-openings-closures-etc-2021-2022-a.html)

J.Edward Oct 10, 2022 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by KDCAflyer (Post 34670087)
The excuse I've heard for years is that people camp out at the lounges all day, drink them dry, and then head home. DL and AA decided that they didn't want to bother with how leisure-heavy the traffic tends to be.

While I never heard the booze angle, I did hear the RASM angle from CO back in the day.

Should note that CO for [whatever] reason opted to overcome the RASM hurtle and opt to build out a PC anyways.

Appears DL has adopted the same logic...or perhaps AX strongly encouraged DL to do so to help relieve pressure on the CL? Who knows.

Originally Posted by EXP100 (Post 34670066)
For AA it's been speculated for years on FT. Possibly the airport authority doesn't want to give up space that would be dedicated towards gambling. But yes at least for AA it's their busiest airport that does not have an AC.

I could see this at first but also think a solution could be found - i.e. build up and over - where real estate dedicated to gambling and concessions is not disturbed.

Would also note if AA (or AS) opted to build out an Admirals Club, they'd have a lock on OW and AS Lounge + customers - might even be enough revenue to justify a business case for it...but what know I.

bse118 Oct 10, 2022 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by safari ari (Post 34669780)
Allegedly, after talking with DEN AC staff, AA gates will be opened and moved to C in Jan of 2023, but lounge isn’t slated to move until April 23, creating a need to trek from AC to gate for 3-4 months. But AA gates will be located in the AX lounge if you have access.

As an AA flyer and Admirals Club member based in DEN everything about AA's move to C Concourse is an annoying downgrade in customer experience.

It will also be annoying for those of us that use the BA flight - as I'm sure once the AC moves to C, that'll still be the lounge BA uses, so requiring a trek to C and back if flying BA and wanting to use the lounge (as the BA flight will continue to be the international gates in A).

EXP100 Oct 11, 2022 4:16 am

The excuse I've heard for years is that people camp out at the lounges all day, drink them dry, and then head home. DL and AA decided that they didn't want to bother with how leisure-heavy the traffic tends to be.

Now it seems like DL is opening a SkyClub in the next year or two, but of course they now have the 3 hour prior rule.

My hunch is with more entrants now using ccs to get in that is happening at quite a few lounges. MIA (particularly the D30 club) is a daily rolling college keg party. Versus what used to be business travelers that likely are going to be doing same.

LovePrunes Oct 11, 2022 8:53 am

Now it seems like DL is opening a SkyClub in the next year or two, but of course they now have the 3 hour prior rule.

Originally Posted by EXP100 (Post 34671518)
My hunch is with more entrants now using ccs to get in that is happening at quite a few lounges. MIA (particularly the D30 club) is a daily rolling college keg party. Versus what used to be business travelers that likely are going to be doing same.

the blame is with AA, not those leisure flyers. AA has been pushing CCs for YEARS and even penalizes you with a higher member fee if one is dumb enough to have an OG "membership"
a lot fewer biz travelers flying now, too, LOTS. this is the way it is.

EXP100 Oct 11, 2022 8:57 am

Originally Posted by LovePrunes (Post 34672112)
the blame is with AA, not those leisure flyers. AA has been pushing CCs for YEARS and even penalizes you with a higher member fee if one is dumb enough to have an OG "membership"
a lot fewer biz travelers flying now, too, LOTS. this is the way it is.

Yes I blame AA. The issue is that most of the clubs were never made for the volume. But that's the name of the game-a butt in every seat.

enviroian Oct 11, 2022 11:41 am

DCA Lounge

How is this lounge? Crowded? I have 3 hours to kill there tomorrow enroute to PHL. Any good sandwich places near the AC one can recommend? This is one airport I'm not familiar with.

EXP100 Oct 11, 2022 11:47 am

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 34672594)
How is this lounge? Crowded? I have 3 hours to kill there tomorrow enroute to PHL. Any good sandwich places near the AC one can recommend? This is one airport I'm not familiar with.

There are 2 lounges. Both are crowded. Both lack power outlets, particularly the D club. Don't know about the restaurants but they tend to be fast food oriented. DCA is a relatively small airport (back in the 80s or 90s there was talk of closing it) but has become very crowded. The new E concourse is much nicer with better gate areas.

chrisny2 Oct 11, 2022 3:44 pm

Taylor Gourmet is probably your best bet if you want a sandwich - in concourse C.
If you like pizza, &pizza is pretty good in concourse D.
For burgers, Elevation burger in concourse E.

pkerr Oct 11, 2022 8:00 pm

Lounge Access...

Flying HNL-DFW-STL in F. Will I get AC access in DFW or just HNL?
Thanks

chrisny2 Oct 11, 2022 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by pkerr (Post 34673667)
Thanks

Both HNL and DFW (departing or arriving):

Includes customers in First or Business on a qualifying departing or arriving international, transcontinental or other domestic flight marketed and operated by American, a oneworld® airline or marketed by JetBlue and operated by American...

Qualifying other domestic

Flights with seats ticketed as Flagship® between:

• Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) and Honolulu (HNL)

enviroian Oct 12, 2022 11:05 am

Originally Posted by chrisny2 (Post 34673168)
Taylor Gourmet is probably your best bet if you want a sandwich - in concourse C.
If you like pizza, &pizza is pretty good in concourse D.
For burgers, Elevation burger in concourse E.

Munching on a turkey sandwich from Taylor at the moment here in a "cubicle" at the C AC. Great sandwich thanks for the tip (although only yellow mustard on hand eww)

This lounge is right out of 1999 but hats off to AA they have it fully stocked like any other larger club. Like someone else noted there aren't many outlets.

wrp96 Oct 12, 2022 11:15 am

Originally Posted by pkerr (Post 34673667)
Thanks

Not just AC access you'll also get Flagship Lounge access at DFW. Much better than any of the ACs.

AAL1 Oct 12, 2022 12:02 pm

There's a legal seafoods near the AC terminal D. If you're familiar with the chain, it has pretty good seafood - especially for an airport.

chrisny2 Oct 12, 2022 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 34675387)
Munching on a turkey sandwich from Taylor at the moment here in a "cubicle" at the C AC. Great sandwich thanks for the tip (although only yellow mustard on hand eww)

This lounge is right out of 1999 but hats off to AA they have it fully stocked like any other larger club. Like someone else noted there aren't many outlets.

Glad you liked it. If you really want to feel like you're back in the 1990s - check out the D Admirals Club!

enviroian Oct 12, 2022 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by chrisny2 (Post 34675593)
Glad you liked it. If you really want to feel like you're back in the 1990s - check out the D Admirals Club!

Here’s my cubicle. It’s one of three and strangely there is an apple desktop available for use in the cube next to me. The only lone outlet is below and I had to get on all fours to plug in.

They have to Indian food on offer today.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4f5fb769f.jpeg