FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Marriott Data Breach and Locking, Changing AAdvantage Accounts (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2016293-marriott-data-breach-locking-changing-aadvantage-accounts.html)

card1953 Apr 20, 2020 9:46 am

Marriott Data Breach and Locking, Changing AAdvantage Accounts

AA said they were concerned my account might be hacked, so encouraged me to let them create a new account. Miles were transferred; I'm still waiting for status, MM, SWUs.

chgoeditor Apr 20, 2020 9:56 am

Originally Posted by card1953 (Post 32309261)
AA said they were concerned my account might be hacked, so encouraged me to let them create a new account. Miles were transferred; I'm still waiting for status, MM, SWUs.

Another FTer messaged me with a similar experience. Sounds as if AA may have done some widescale account locking this weekend without notifying members of what was going on.

ijgordon Apr 20, 2020 10:02 am

Originally Posted by chgoeditor (Post 32308956)
Update: False alarm. His account was unlocked this morning. Apparently AA had reason to believe his account was hacked. All miles are intact and being transferred to a new account. Thanks all!

Boring!

:)

Chrs Apr 22, 2020 11:31 am

Marriott Data Breach and Locking, Changing AAdvantage Accounts

I couldn't find any articles or this posted anywhere. I got a called from AA about a data breach where names, emails, and account number may have been stolen. In turn, they've done/asked the following to create a new account:
  • New account number
  • Requested a new email be used--I insisted on my current email
  • Required 3 new security questions be used
  • Required new username that does not include any identifying information, so no names
Anyone else experience this?

mvoight Apr 22, 2020 11:41 am

Interesting. In the report I read, AA says less than 10,000 accounts out of 70 million were affected

Chrs Apr 22, 2020 11:43 am

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 32315377)
Interesting. In the report I read, AA says less than 10,000 accounts out of 70 million were affected

I guess I won the lottery today.

I had just woken up when I called AA back and have yet to come up with a new username that I won't forget...

hotintx Apr 22, 2020 11:55 am

This title is misleading. There absolutely was not a breach of AA's sites. This is related to a high profile incident that was announced in March, and was that of a partner. AA is doing what they can to secure AAdvantage accounts to stop/slow the chance for fraudulent redemptions being made.

aztimm Apr 22, 2020 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Chrs (Post 32315350)
I couldn't find any articles or this posted anywhere.

There were a few posts about another account that went through this in the Locked Account thread; here is the post where they say what happened:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32308956-post916.html

I've also seen a few posts about this in the AA Facebook groups.

Chrs Apr 22, 2020 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by hotintx (Post 32315427)
This title is misleading. There absolutely was not a breach of AA's sites. This is related to a high profile incident that was announced in March, and was that of a partner. AA is doing what they can to secure AAdvantage accounts to stop/slow the chance for fraudulent redemptions being made.

In short, it was a data breach. It doesn't matter to me if it was AA or a partner of AA.

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 32315514)
There were a few posts about another account that went through this in the Locked Account thread; here is the post where they say what happened:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32308956-post916.html

I've also seen a few posts about this in the AA Facebook groups.

Thanks. This is helpful!

rrgg Apr 22, 2020 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by hotintx (Post 32315427)

Was the partner AAdvantage eShopping? Or maybe Marriott?

hotintx Apr 22, 2020 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Chrs (Post 32315677)
In short, it was a data breach. It doesn't matter to me if it was AA or a partner of AA.

Well, this makes sense.

Often1 Apr 22, 2020 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Chrs (Post 32315677)

Nonetheless, others rely on thread titles and this one is inaccuare & misleading because there was no "AA data breach"

It appears that this was the recent Marriott data breach and occurred when some small number of customers used the same login credentials for both accounts.

Houston Infinite Platinum Apr 23, 2020 5:14 pm

This happened to me and I did not have my Marriott linked to AA and did not use the same user name or password. This is a pain in the but and no other hack ever made me change everything including my security questions. I really would like more details. If may be only a few people but it is a pain and it is MUCH MORE than anything else I have experienced

AAExecPlatFlier Apr 23, 2020 5:35 pm

I thought Marriott used either ur Bonvoy number or email where AA uses ur AAdvantage number or a user ID

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 32315860)
Nonetheless, others rely on thread titles and this one is inaccuare & misleading because there was no "AA data breach"

It appears that this was the recent Marriott data breach and occurred when some small number of customers used the same login credentials for both accounts.

jsieds Apr 26, 2020 4:55 pm

I was a lucky recipient of this too. New account, still waiting for status, flights, MM, etc. to be fixed.