FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Award Change and Miles Redeposit Fees, Issues, from 1 Jul 2020 (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2015666-award-change-miles-redeposit-fees-issues-1-jul-2020-consolidated.html)

godsquare Jul 17, 2020 3:10 pm

I cancelled an award ticket booked in late February on July 7. Miles were returned to my account promptly but I still have not received the refund for tax/fee. I called today and was told that the tax/fee refund will take 15 business days. Is that true?

godsquare Jul 17, 2020 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by seigex (Post 32446445)
Got a datapoint for the new mile redeposit process. I cancelled two flights last night and even though it says within 2 days, all miles were redeposited instantly without needing to talk to the phone AAngels.

There are certain requirements though: solo person on PNR, american flight booked directly through aa.

How long did it take for you to receive the tax/fee refund?

AAExecPlatFlier Jul 17, 2020 4:12 pm

Well a little sooner usually. They seem to process refunds on the 7th BUSINESS DAY starting with day 1 being the day after you request the refund.

Originally Posted by godsquare (Post 32539411)
I cancelled an award ticket booked in late February on July 7. Miles were returned to my account promptly but I still have not received the refund for tax/fee. I called today and was told that the tax/fee refund will take 15 business days. Is that true?

flyerCO Jul 17, 2020 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by godsquare (Post 32539411)

Refunds are taking a bit longer than usual due to volume of refunds.

stephem Jul 17, 2020 7:45 pm

I had several awards booked in March for early April travel before Covid was fully understood. I canceled but AA wouldn’t redeposit without fees. I recently tried again and had no fees via a twitter request ;-)

seigex Jul 18, 2020 11:18 am

Originally Posted by godsquare (Post 32539413)
How long did it take for you to receive the tax/fee refund?

1 to 2 weeks before it showed up in my account.

Ali Taheri Jul 18, 2020 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by saaveraward (Post 32536887)
Does anyone have a data point for a web special booked AFTER 7/1 that was canceled 60+ days in advance (no status) and had no re-deposit fee for the miles?

Thanks to dynamic pricing, I canceled a ticket booked in June and did a rebook just now on the same flights for 8k less. Really wish there was a better way than cancel, redeposit and rebook, but that's what you have to do I guess.

Yup. Had a flight booked after 07/01 and cancelled a few days later. They’ve now pushed it to where you can book before Sept 1 and still able to cancel with no fees

nk15 Jul 20, 2020 11:16 am

Quick question, there is no minimum time requirement to cancel an AA award and redeposit miles, as long as you cancel before flight departure, correct?

the phoenix Jul 20, 2020 11:48 am

TwitterAAgents informed me at least 2 hours before the flight.

Mr. BoH Jul 24, 2020 7:38 am

Question: if I book award tickets for two passengers on a single PNR, am I allowed to cancel just one of the two later? (assume 60+ days out) Or would I need to cancel both and potentially have to re-price the passenger who is still going?

DC9 Jul 24, 2020 7:59 am

Deleted

thyeri Jul 24, 2020 9:52 am

-----

flyerCO Jul 24, 2020 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH (Post 32555552)
Question: if I book award tickets for two passengers on a single PNR, am I allowed to cancel just one of the two later? (assume 60+ days out) Or would I need to cancel both and potentially have to re-price the passenger who is still going?

Yes. They'll split the PNR. Each passenger will then have their own.

kamchatsky Jul 26, 2020 10:26 pm

I booked a short intra-US award in mid July for travelling in May next year, to see if this resets the mile expiration date. It did.

I will now wait until Feb/March next year to cancel the award for free, and reset the expiration date.

8tracks Aug 5, 2020 1:19 pm

AA has moved this date to September 8

Waiving award reinstatement and change fees for award bookings

We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards ticketed by September 8, 2020.

Automatic mileage reinstatement

If your trip is eligible, your miles will be automatically reinstated within 48 hours of canceling your trip online. For all other trips, contact Reservations to have your miles reinstated.

Eligible customers / trips must meet these requirements:
  • Travel is on American Airlines flights only.
  • The ticket was purchased directly with American in the U.S. or via our U.S. website.
  • Travel for any portion of the trip has not begun.
  • No changes have been made to the trip since the ticket was issued.

My Question: Are American Eagle segments included in "American Airlines flights only" per this restriction?