FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Award Change and Miles Redeposit Fees, Issues, from 1 Jul 2020 (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2015666-award-change-miles-redeposit-fees-issues-1-jul-2020-consolidated.html)

javabytes Apr 13, 2020 12:38 pm

Award Change and Miles Redeposit Fees, Issues, from 1 Jul 2020 (consolidated)

As part of today's announcement on status extension, I noticed what seems like a nasty little Easter egg buried in the announcement:

Waiving award reinstatement and change fees for award bookings
We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by May 31, 2020, for travel through September 30, 2020.

For award travel ticketed on or after June 1, 2020 (edit: now July 1, 2020), we’ll waive change and reinstatement fees when the change is made at least 60 days before travel. A new fee structure will apply to changes made with fewer than 60 days before travel:

Fees apply to each award ticket changed or reinstated.

Fees vary by elite status of the member using miles from their account and the number of days before departure of the first changed or canceled flight in the original trip.

Change made 60 days or more before travel
Executive Platinum: $0
Platinum Pro: $0
Platinum: $0
Gold: $0
Regular member: $0

At least 7 days, but fewer than 60 days before travel
Platinum Pro: $50
Platinum: $75
Gold: $100
Regular member: $125

Fewer than 7 days before travel
Platinum Pro: $75
Platinum: $100
Gold: $125
Regular member: $150

Fees apply to each award ticket changed or reinstated.

Fees vary by elite status of the member using miles from their account and the number of days before departure of the first changed or canceled flight in the original trip.
The flight award change / reinstatement fee will be waived for:
  • Members using more miles to purchase a higher cabin on the same flight(s).
  • Executive Platinum members using miles from their account, including for Web Special awards.

Previously, fees were only incurred for reinstatement, and changes (i.e. moving dates while keeping the same cities and award type) were permitted without a fee. The way I read this, that's ending... along with the reduced fees if you are changing/cancelling flights for more than one passenger... instead of $25 for each additional passenger, you pay the full fee. However, even reinstatements will be free for everyone as long as you change 60+ days out.

JJeffrey Apr 13, 2020 1:31 pm

Man, leave it up to AA to not let a goodwill opportunity slip by without sneaking in a huge devaluation.

Obviously the big question is what constitutes a change? Is that just a major change to the origin or destination, or ANY change whatsoever?

Assuming it's ANY change (don't see any language suggesting otherwise), this is a major blow, especially with how stingy AA is/was with award space. Booking whatever you can then changing to better options as they open up (usually within 60 days) is no longer a viable strategy for anyone not EXP.

cmtlatitudes Apr 13, 2020 2:55 pm

I was wondering about this also. When clicking on the "Award Travel" link under the new fee structure chart, and select "changing flights and upgrade awards", the verbiage still seems to imply a date change only would not result in a change fee:

Changes to the origin or destination or airline

• For MileSAAver awards, origin or destination changes to the itinerary will incur a change fee of $150, even when retaining the same award type
  • For awards involving travel on other airlines, origin or destination changes or changes to the airline(s) in the itinerary will incur a change fee of $150, even when retaining the same award type
  • For AAnytime awards, origin or destination change fees are waived only when retaining the same award type
  • You may not make changes to origin, destination or airline for an itinerary that includes a Web Special award. While you can cancel and reinstate your miles, fees may apply
  • The change fee will be waived for Executive Platinum members using miles from their account

enviroian Apr 13, 2020 3:12 pm

Change fee for EXP's still $0 at any date. What status level were you referring to that has been de-valuated?

fwfdan Apr 13, 2020 3:26 pm

I cannot see where it differentiates the redeposit fee on web specials... I assume the same "no changes apply"

javabytes Apr 13, 2020 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 32290299)
Change fee for EXP's still $0 at any date. What status level were you referring to that has been de-valuated?

Everyone else. The table here is probably better formatted, FT is screwing with the post formatting on tablet/mobile : https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...am-updates.jsp

Djokison Apr 13, 2020 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 32290299)

You’re unaware of the existence of non-EXPs?

JJeffrey Apr 13, 2020 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes (Post 32290258)
I was wondering about this also. When clicking on the "Award Travel" link under the new fee structure chart, and select "changing flights and upgrade awards", the verbiage still seems to imply a date change only would not result in a change fee:

Changes to the origin or destination or airline

• For MileSAAver awards, origin or destination changes to the itinerary will incur a change fee of $150, even when retaining the same award type
  • For awards involving travel on other airlines, origin or destination changes or changes to the airline(s) in the itinerary will incur a change fee of $150, even when retaining the same award type
  • For AAnytime awards, origin or destination change fees are waived only when retaining the same award type
  • You may not make changes to origin, destination or airline for an itinerary that includes a Web Special award. While you can cancel and reinstate your miles, fees may apply
  • The change fee will be waived for Executive Platinum members using miles from their account

That's the same verbiage that has always been there, they haven't updated it yet to include the new terms announced today.

rrgg Apr 13, 2020 5:09 pm

Wow this is the worst of both worlds. Speculative bookings will consume inventory and then if you get lucky late, there's a fee. Why would changing a flight time be equivalent to reinstatement?

Dave Noble Apr 13, 2020 5:26 pm

Being able to make substantive changes and cancel without a fee at >59 days is a positive of this. For me, this benefit is worth more than being able to make changes to date/time close to departue without a fee

I wouldn't say that it is the worst of both worlds - can still make speculative bookings - just need to stop speculating at 59 days

cmtlatitudes Apr 13, 2020 5:49 pm

I'm not happy with this new policy, if every date change < 60 days will constitute a change fee. Especially in the current situation. There are many unknowns right now that will likely not become magically known within 60 days of a flight after September 30th. Particularly for international tickets and places like Hawaii that have instituted quarantine restrictions. There is much speculation the virus will surge again in fall/winter. Flights may be operating before quarantine restrictions are lifted and resorts re-opened a particular locale. Many people will choose not to travel if quarantine restrictions are not lifted and that may be not be known at 60 days out. Heck, it might not even be known if certain resorts or hotels will fold now at 60 days out. This unfortunately seems like a guaranteed stream of revenue on Award change/reinstate fees from members who may likely have no practical choice but to continue sliding their Award reservations out.

Plus, a bit swarmy on AA's part to offer the best miles sale in AA's history through midnight yesterday, and then come out with a significant devaluation for all not EXP today. Very happy now I didn't purchase any additional miles. It did cross my mind and I'd be mad as heck with AA right now if I had.

rrgg Apr 13, 2020 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 32290601)
Being able to make substantive changes and cancel without a fee at >59 days is a positive of this. For me, this benefit is worth more than being able to make changes to date/time close to departue without a fee

I wouldn't say that it is the worst of both worlds - can still make speculative bookings - just need to stop speculating at 59 days

How can you say it’s not worse?

AA is encouraging speculative bookings meaning the little inventory there is will dry up. We might have lots of people schedule 7-8 trips expecting to take only 1-2. Even a $10 cancellation fee would discourage this. I’m only PLT but EXPs should be po-ed.

Just to clarify, I’m not talking about 2020 but next year or whenever flying becomes somewhat normal again.

cmtlatitudes Apr 13, 2020 6:46 pm

Well, I hadn't been looking at it from that end, but that's a good point. I'd rather have the previous policy of $150 fee with the ability to make to date changes, than the new policy. There will be a lot of dried up inventory with everyone able to cancel until 60 days out. Agree that some non-refundable nominal fee would discourage this. Almost feel like I need to get some flights on hold now while they are still out there. Someone said this was the worst of both ends. Completely get that now.

Dave Noble Apr 13, 2020 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg (Post 32290730)
How can you say it’s not worse?

AA is encouraging speculative bookings meaning the little inventory there is will dry up. We might have lots of people schedule 7-8 trips expecting to take only 1-2. Even a $10 cancellation fee would discourage this. I’m only PLT but EXPs should be po-ed.

Just to clarify, I’m not talking about 2020 but next year or whenever flying becomes somewhat normal again.

Being able to make major changes free of charge and being able to cancel is a benefit to me

I don't see that it will make a lot of difference to speculative bookings - people need to have miles to make bookings and they need to cancel 60+ days in order for it to be a free cancellation

cmtlatitudes Apr 13, 2020 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 32290778)
Being able to make major changes free of charge and being able to cancel is a benefit to me

I don't see that it will make a lot of difference to speculative bookings - people need to have miles to make bookings and they need to cancel 60+ days in order for it to be a free cancellation

Well, that's true about needing the miles. They will run out at some point for most people. So it's not completely unlimited open season on speculative bookings.

But part of the new change seems to be major changes are no longer free of charge. So a date change now, with no change to origin or destination, would now incur a change fee unless made 60 days out.

Dave Noble Apr 13, 2020 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes (Post 32290805)
Well, that's true about needing the miles. They will run out at some point for most people. So it's not completely unlimited open season on speculative bookings.

But part of the new change seems to be major changes are no longer free of charge. So a date change now, with no change to origin or destination, would now incur a change fee unless made 60 days out.

Major changes are now free of charge outside 60 days - e.g. switch from QR from AMS-SYD to EY from AMS-SYD will not longer incur a $150 fee at 2+ months - making minor changes goes from free to costing a fee depending on status within 60 days

I don't see any reason why speculative bookings would increase - within 60 days there would be a fee to redeposit miles on unwanted awards - outside 60 days, changes are free , so why speculate?

cmtlatitudes Apr 13, 2020 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 32290829)
Major changes are now free of charge outside 60 days - e.g. switch from QR from AMS-SYD to EY from AMS-SYD will not longer incur a $150 fee at 2+ months - making minor changes goes from free to costing a fee depending on status within 60 days

I don't see any reason why speculative bookings would increase - within 60 days there would be a fee to redeposit miles on unwanted awards - outside 60 days, changes are free , so why speculate?

The < 60 days now incurring a fee for changes is a huge detractor for me. 100% of all changes I've ever made have been within 60 days. With the current uncertainties of quarantine and borders closing, the timing of this change is particularly egregious. This a huge devaluation for me and the way I travel. I'll be much less likely to pursue additional miles or status after my current stash is gone.

There will definitely be less inventory available at >60 days if people can redeposit at will until that point. That doesn't bother me anywhere near the fees for changes to dates or itineraries < 60 days however.

nexusCFX Apr 13, 2020 9:20 pm

Was it really necessary for AA to apply this only for awards booked after June 1? I have an award booked in Dec that is for a flight in Oct and at this point I'd like to just cancel it but it's outside the waiver so it'd be $150 to redeposit.

I wonder if a rep would waive the redeposit fee in light of the new policy if I called and asked for an exception? Don't want to hold up the phone lines for such a distant flight though.

JDiver Apr 13, 2020 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX (Post 32291062)
Was it really necessary for AA to apply this only for awards booked after June 1? I have an award booked in Dec that is for a flight in Oct and at this point I'd like to just cancel it but it's outside the waiver so it'd be $150 to redeposit.

I wonder if a rep would waive the redeposit fee in light of the new policy if I called and asked for an exception? Don't want to hold up the phone lines for such a distant flight though.

Heres what I’d do: With all the flight changes etc. going on, wait for a flight to change by 241 or more minutes or in another major way and cancel free due to involuntary changes. In the interim, I’d call after June 1 so TAs are trained on the new policy, and see if careful wording will have someone cancel the award and Redeposit your miles because it’s more than 60 days out. Technically, the latter isn’t part of the new policy, but you might slip between the cracks. Finally, other things could happen where you might be covered by new travel alerts.

nexusCFX Apr 13, 2020 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 32291100)
Heres what I’d do: With all the flight changes etc. going on, wait for a flight to change by 241 or more minutes or in another major way and cancel free due to involuntary changes. In the interim, I’d call after June 1 so TAs are trained on the new policy, and see if careful wording will have someone cancel the award and Redeposit your miles because it’s more than 60 days out. Technically, the latter isn’t part of the new policy, but you might slip between the cracks. Finally, other things could happen where you might be covered by new travel alerts.

Yeah that's the plan. If the waiver gets pushed any further then I'm set.

chix Apr 13, 2020 9:51 pm

If a Platinum Or for that matter any member books a Milesaver flight and wants to make a change <60 days out and saver availability still exists for the same city pairs, does the no change fee benefit still exist?

milesforhire Apr 13, 2020 9:58 pm

For non-EXPs, does this affect Web Specials? Or are those still untouchable without schedule change?

Dave Noble Apr 13, 2020 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by chix (Post 32291124)
If a Platinum Or for that matter any member books a Milesaver flight and wants to make a change <60 days out and saver availability still exists for the same city pairs, does the no change fee benefit still exist?

My understanding is that the fee as listed in the table applies for all changes - if that is the case, then the listed fee will apply

chix Apr 13, 2020 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 32291155)
My understanding is that the fee as listed in the table applies for all changes - if that is the case, then the listed fee will apply

If that is the case, OP javabytes is correct, a really “nasty Easter egg” buried in the changes AA tries to put a positive spin on :-(

lrdpenn Apr 13, 2020 10:48 pm

Considering close in fees were eliminated, keeping total score for the year, net devaluation to PLT and GLD, and I’d say even for non elite.

Doesn’t this align closer to United’s structure, except United still charges for changes >60 days, albeit at a lower rate?

Still slimy to slide it into this announcement. They probably intended to make it May 31 but decided it would get less publicity if it was buried here lol.

ILuvParis Apr 13, 2020 11:07 pm

I'm glad I've patiently waited to cancel flights until the policy changes gave me what I wanted. :)

Dave Noble Apr 13, 2020 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis (Post 32291238)
I'm glad I've patiently waited to cancel flights until the policy changes gave me what I wanted. :)

The policy changes go into effect for bookings ticketed on or after June 1 - any bookings prior to that date have the existing rules

GrayAnderson Apr 14, 2020 1:58 am

Is it just me or does this look oddly like Alaska's old award policy?

cmtlatitudes Apr 14, 2020 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 32291275)
The policy changes go into effect for bookings ticketed on or after June 1 - any bookings prior to that date have the existing rules

If that will technically be honored, I'll probably book any Awards for the next year prior June 1. That way when inevitably when the dates change, or if I need to make a proactive change for another reason, they'll still be covered under them.

enviroian Apr 14, 2020 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Djokison (Post 32290479)
You’re unaware of the existence of non-EXPs?

of course I am. The title if the post should be more accurate then.

“new award changes and mileage redeposit fees (except EXP)” would be more accurate.

JJeffrey Apr 14, 2020 7:46 am

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 32291711)
of course I am. The title if the post should be more accurate then.

“new award changes and mileage redeposit fees (except EXP)” would be more accurate.

LOL, says the king of starting threads with cryptic 3 word thread titles...

AlphaTango Apr 14, 2020 9:45 am

When you say "existing rules", the way I read it is award travel booked prior to 5/31/2020 for travel thru 9/30/2020 can be changed/reinstated without penalty. Is that not right?

Quote from aa.com: "We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by May 31, 2020, for travel through September 30, 2020."

siankaan1 Apr 14, 2020 10:05 am

Originally Posted by AlphaTango (Post 32292517)
When you say "existing rules", the way I read it is award travel booked prior to 5/31/2020 for travel thru 9/30/2020 can be changed/reinstated without penalty. Is that not right?

Quote from aa.com: "We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by May 31, 2020, for travel through September 30, 2020."

That's how I originally read it too. On rereading, it depends on whether the first sentence that you quote stands alone, or whether it's merely set-up for the second paragraph. I'd say it's ambiguous. Right now might be the time to get old tickets redeposited, before AA corrects that ambiguity.

siankaan1 Apr 14, 2020 10:57 am

AA just redeposited the miles for 4 old award tickets that I've been hanging on to, with no redeposit fee and refund of taxes. So at least for now they are treating the first sentence of yesterday's announcement as a stand-alone statement.

IntFF Apr 14, 2020 11:11 am

Called AA-Plat, answer in 30 seconds

Just to report that I called today AA-Plat to cancel flights -- answer in 30 seconds !! Never happened before.
I cancelled 2 one-way award international trips for May - no miles reinstatement fees.
I cancelled 1 paid-for domestic trip . Qualified for refund because just changed from direct to with-connection.

rrgg Apr 14, 2020 11:21 am

I've seen blogs describe the new elite discount on fees as a positive. Unless traveling alone, it's effectively ONLY a positive for Platinum Pro.

Most of my awards are with a companion, and I'd guess that's a common case. As platinum, the old fee was $150 to cancel. Now with the "discount" it's still $150 at day 59. One week out it goes to $200. Gold and Regular have it worse. EXP is unchanged at $0.

So none of those people are getting a discount, only Platinum Pro. If 3-4 people are on your PNR, the discount is wiped out for Platinum Pro too.

ILuvParis Apr 14, 2020 11:38 am

I was referring to an award ticket booked last August for June of this year. Had I canceled a couple of months ago, I would have had until August to use the ticket or would have had to pay to have the miles reinstated. Until yesterday, I would have had through next year to use the ticket or would have had to pay to get the miles reinstated. I waited until yesterday and got the miles, taxes and fees back at no cost. I don't see how that is the "existing rules."

Edited to add: I see now that the subject refers to bookings after June 1. However, the first sentence of the posted quote refers to my situation (bookings before June). Hence, my confusion.

ft4lyf Apr 14, 2020 12:44 pm

Hello all, I read the posts above. AA"s announcement is a little confusing.

I purchased an Award ticket in January-2020 (all flights on QR), for travel in November-2020.
I will most likely have to cancel this trip (even though its months away).
The flights are still on schedule. No schedule changes, etc.

I am not sure if I can cancel this without any penalty based on today's announcement.
Looks like the announcement only refers to travel before Sept-30??

Miles came from AA-Platinum elite.

siankaan1 Apr 14, 2020 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by ft4lyf (Post 32293089)
Hello all, I read the posts above. AA"s announcement is a little confusing.

I purchased an Award ticket in January-2020 (all flights on QR), for travel in November-2020.
I will most likely have to cancel this trip (even though its months away).
The flights are still on schedule. No schedule changes, etc.

I am not sure if I can cancel this without any penalty based on today's announcement.
Looks like the announcement only refers to travel before Sept-30??

Miles came from AA-Platinum elite.

I think there would be a reinstatement fee since travel is after September 30. But you can always try...let us know what happens!

ft4lyf Apr 14, 2020 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by siankaan1 (Post 32293127)
I think there would be a reinstatement fee since travel is after September 30. But you can always try...let us know what happens!

Yes..i also feel there will be a fee. I am going to wait for a month or two...maybe something will change.....or a massive schedule change will happen.