Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2020-21 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE SEE link for 2022 thread.

Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing (
Be aware of upgrade priority changes enacted 20 May 2017)

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Link to 2019 archived thread (We’ve refilled this thread for 2020-21 because of the relatively low volume of posts due to Covid-19’s effect on travel, and the usefulness of having relevant experiences in some volume for readers. — Moderator)

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2020-21 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2020, 5:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Scott Atkinson
Question regarding the 500 mile upgrade. I am newly PLAT PRO and flying LAX-JFK on OCT 1st. What are chances of being upgraded? TIA
I checked Expertflyer and everything other than the 10:30pm has C =>5 (I assume you’re flying Y), so the chances look good
Old Sep 28, 2020, 5:46 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

In the past month, I cleared at the 24 hour mark for DFW-PDX and back. For DFW-CLT, I cleared within 3 hours of my flight for their and back. I am platinum status.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 5:57 pm

Thanks for the info! What do you mean flying Y?
Old Nov 1, 2020, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
I book a RT flight in MCE seats, departing on Wednesday, returning on Thursday. Got a confirmed seat upgrade to FC for my departing flight in Wednesday, but my returning flight on Thursday now shows no confirmed seat, even though I had a confirmed MCE seat when I booked. Instead it says, "Please check back or we'll assign you a seat at the airport", and the seat map only shows the FC cabin, which appears to be entirely booked. This seems to indicate I received an upgrade to FC for my return flight, but I have no seat (see screenshot). Any one have experience with this situation?​​​​​​​
Old Nov 1, 2020, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by robertablake
I book a RT flight in MCE seats, departing on Wednesday, returning on Thursday. Got a confirmed seat upgrade to FC for my departing flight in Wednesday, but my returning flight on Thursday now shows no confirmed seat, even though I had a confirmed MCE seat when I booked. Instead it says, "Please check back or we'll assign you a seat at the airport", and the seat map only shows the FC cabin, which appears to be entirely booked. This seems to indicate I received an upgrade to FC for my return flight, but I have no seat (see screenshot). Any one have experience with this situation?
I'm assuming you're on AA 2550? Seems like 1C/D are being blocked on the 320 - there's still 1 J seat for sale.
robertablake likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by aacar
I'm assuming you're on AA 2550? Seems like 1C/D are being blocked on the 320 - there's still 1 J seat for sale.
Yes, flight AA 2550. Thanks for that information.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
3 F seats left on a AA2269 DFW-LAS a week out, if that remains the same, should I split my PNR with my friend?
I'm EXP, he has no status.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by aacar
An AAngel in the AC yesterday was able to unblock 1C, since the flight was within 24 hours, and then assign it to me. All is good.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by krazieman
3 F seats left on a AA2269 DFW-LAS a week out, if that remains the same, should I split my PNR with my friend?
I'm EXP, he has no status.
I would personally wait until T-100 and split only if you haven't cleared by then... but if you're less worried about the friend clearing then maybe set an EF alert so that if it goes down to J2 before that, you go ahead and split.
krazieman and onanisland like this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I know this may not be a surprise to others, but im shocked to learn DFW-BOG requires a SWU for a domestic 319 flight with possible no meal or a one tray service. Same w MDE-MIA on a 319 w probably no service up front. Or a sandwich or one tray meal. That’s ridiculous; why is this different from PTY just a few miles north. At least on LIM, the DFW pax get a flat bed and a multi-course meal. Could this just be a web error saying upgrades aren’t eligible or does BOG get upgraded service like LIM?
Old Nov 19, 2020, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I know this may not be a surprise to others, but im shocked to learn DFW-BOG requires a SWU for a domestic 319 flight with possible no meal or a one tray service. Same w MDE-MIA on a 319 w probably no service up front. Or a sandwich or one tray meal. That’s ridiculous; why is this different from PTY just a few miles north. At least on LIM, the DFW pax get a flat bed and a multi-course meal. Could this just be a web error saying upgrades aren’t eligible or does BOG get upgraded service like LIM?
From AAs website:

Upgrades are valid on American Airlines or American Eagle® marketed and operated flights offering a First or Business Class cabin within and between the 50 United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, the Bahamas, Bermuda as well as between the United States and Central America (Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua or Panama).
That few miles makes all the difference.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 9:29 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I'm not entirely sure, but I was always under the impression (pre-COVID) that DFW-Central American flights had better catering in J than on MIA-Central American runs.

There are also free meals in Y on DFW-SJO/SAL and CLT-SJO but not on MIA-SJO/SAL.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Question about upgrades and C space on flights into MEX from DFW and MIA. Are those flights ones where I could potentially clear into first automatically due to status, or would I need to use a SWU?
Old Nov 24, 2020, 4:32 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
Flights to MEX allow for status/sticker upgrades. I was 4 out of 4 on upgrades to MEX when i was PPro last year. Of course, those were on the 738. If the flights are on A319s, things might get a bit dicey.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
Flights to MEX allow for status/sticker upgrades. I was 4 out of 4 on upgrades to MEX when i was PPro last year. Of course, those were on the 738. If the flights are on A319s, things might get a bit dicey.
Great. Thanks!
thunderdeacon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.