Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA drops partnership earnings with Hilton, Choice, Best Western 31 Mar 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2020, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt

Not small news, and no idea how many people this affects. Hilton -is- a major chain!

From email received today:
"Thank you for being a member of the AAdvantage® program. We know you value the ability to earn AAdvantage miles through many of our partnerships, and we want to let you know about changes with some partners. Effective April 1st, AAdvantage members will no longer be able to earn miles or convert points to miles with Best Western® Hotels and Resorts, Choice Hotels® or Hilton. Members can still earn miles or convert points to miles through March 31, 2020."
Firewind likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 12:05 pm

Makes sense given their new Hyatt partnership.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Makes sense given their new Hyatt partnership.
But it doesn't impact Marriott.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 12:37 pm

"We continue to cultivate partnerships which suit our customers' changing travel preferences and needs. You still have many options for earning miles through every hotel stay with a variety of our global hotel partners. We encourage you to explore some of our best hotel offers now.

"We look forward to seeing you on your next adventure."
Old Jan 31, 2020, 12:40 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I have 56,000 Hilton points without any specific plan on how to use them. Does anyone have thoughts on if it makes sense to transfer them to AA or keep them with Hilton for now? I primarily travel with Marriott but sometimes I have to stay with Hilton because it's the preferred hotel for the client.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Originally Posted by donotblink
I have 56,000 Hilton points without any specific plan on how to use them. Does anyone have thoughts on if it makes sense to transfer them to AA or keep them with Hilton for now? I primarily travel with Marriott but sometimes I have to stay with Hilton because it's the preferred hotel for the client.
personally I would just keep them with Hilton, unless you are really trying to save up for something specific. Depending on when/where, those miles are good for 1-2 nights. Always nice to have “in the bank” in case you need a quick getaway, or as happens w me, get “stuck in the city due to snow”!
Antarius and KBMIFlyer like this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Compare the value you would get from a transfer to AA miles to what your expected value is from using them in some other way.
You never know when you might need a hotel room........I find HH points come in handy if you get stuck at ORD......Others might like Hyatt points if stuck at my home airport (DFW)
JaysonW and Firewind like this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Got the email AA sent.. dont care, I use American cards tied directly to the hotel, for hotel points.
Never felt AA miles were worth the trouble.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Is this the start of airlines + hotels grouping? i.e. certain airlines partner with certain groups while stop cooperating with other selected hotel groups?
Old Jan 31, 2020, 5:25 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Now AA can devalue miles to the same rate as HH points and maybe it won’t be as obvious.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would keep them at Hilton, but just remember that Hilton points expire after 15 months (used to be 12 months) of "no activity". So figure out how to keep them "alive" for cheap. (If you don't know of an option that would work for you, search or ask in the Hilton forum.)
MSPeconomist and Firewind like this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chongcao
Is this the start of airlines + hotels grouping? i.e. certain airlines partner with certain groups while stop cooperating with other selected hotel groups?
It's not the start, it's been going on for a while. Various partners of each airline parting ways (long before, and thus usually independent of, any hotel-airline special pairing). It's just that it usually hasn't been 3 hotel programs at once at 1 airline, so it usually hasn't gotten the attention that this announcement got.

The hotel-airline special paring can't go much further. Hyatt and AA are already tied up, and Marriott and UA are already tied up. The really only leaves DL as nationwide airline (since WN is geared toward you booking hotels through their site, and doesn't promote partners any more, and anyway without any real elite status, the same kind of hotel partnership than Hyatt and Marriott have wouldn't work at Southwest [WN].)
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 2:17 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Depending on how good cross-partner availability is, this just means you should look at dumping those points to someone else in OW (BA is a decent starting point).
Old Feb 1, 2020, 4:45 am

beware that your Hilton points will expire after 12 months of no activity
Old Feb 1, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Maybe not right now - but it will probably when contracts end.

But it doesn't impact Marriott.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.