Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Temporary Gold to EXP Status targeted offer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Temporary Gold to EXP Status targeted offer

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by iahphx
They don't expire, but as a practical matter, they will be impossible to use. Especially as a gold.
“Impossible” isn’t accurate. But it may require inventiveness and flexibility, flying routes or during times of lower demand. E.g. My sister is lifetime Gold and she upgraded herself and her traveling companion SAT-PHX and LAX-SAT recently (though their PHX-KOA and KOA-LAX upgrade attempts failed).

“Challenging” or “difficult” would be accurate. After the passenger loses interim status, the e-500s are essentially useless.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:45 am

Got the targeted Plat Pro. One year after I stop flying for work of course. I have a basic economy trip booked in a week - there's really no benefit (ie. upgrade) possible on that correct?

I generally only book basic economy tickets (work shelled out for the regular) so that seems to be a bummer. Nothing planned before April 2020 anyway.

I am flying on EY and Qantas from Europe to NZ before then - will I have access to lounges as a One World Sapphire? I think I am eligible before my Qantas flight but not before my EY flight - is that correct?

Thanks all!
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:32 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by jmd001
Fascinating. My zero-AA-status spouse who hasn't flown AA in years just got an email with this offer:
Originally Posted by rrohio
My wife also just got the same offer. It includes 20 500 mile upgrade certs
My spouse got it too, but in this case it's my husband and he got regular Platinum with 20 500 mile upgrades. He had zero AA status but is Delta Gold. So I'm guessing this would be similar to doing a status match. Problem is that AA doesn't fly direct to the city he flies to primarily for business.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
it's not like these freely comped plat pro's will be getting upgraded at all---they are at the bottom of the EQD pile.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
it's not like these freely comped plat pro's will be getting upgraded at all---they are at the bottom of the EQD pile.
I wouldn't say "at all". I had only complimentary Gold a couple of months ago and I did score an upgrade to First Class using 3 stickers and it cleared in advance (not at gate). I didn't try that many times, only on 2 flights, so for me it was 50% success on a lowly Gold status but I would think the complimentary Plats and Plat Pros would technically have better success rates- really depends on routing, timing, how often they fly, etc.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by enviroian
But $0 EQD Plat Pro is prioritized over $multi-thousand EQD Plat.

So, while rare, it is possible/likely that someone getting the targeted offer will get an upgrade at the expense of a loyal AA flyer.

Big picture, though, agree, no big deal.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by friedablass
My spouse got it too, but in this case it's my husband and he got regular Platinum with 20 500 mile upgrades. He had zero AA status but is Delta Gold. So I'm guessing this would be similar to doing a status match. Problem is that AA doesn't fly direct to the city he flies to primarily for business.
Yes, but did he tell AA he had status on Delta? Otherwise, I don't think AA would know his Delta status, unless Delta is selling that info
Old Jan 10, 2020, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lmross
Got the targeted Plat Pro. One year after I stop flying for work of course. I have a basic economy trip booked in a week - there's really no benefit (ie. upgrade) possible on that correct?

I generally only book basic economy tickets (work shelled out for the regular) so that seems to be a bummer. Nothing planned before April 2020 anyway.

I am flying on EY and Qantas from Europe to NZ before then - will I have access to lounges as a One World Sapphire? I think I am eligible before my Qantas flight but not before my EY flight - is that correct?

Thanks all!
Right, no access for EY as that is not OneWorld
Old Jan 10, 2020, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
“Impossible” isn’t accurate. But it may require inventiveness and flexibility, flying routes or during times of lower demand. E.g. My sister is lifetime Gold and she upgraded herself and her traveling companion SAT-PHX and LAX-SAT recently (though their PHX-KOA and KOA-LAX upgrade attempts failed).

“Challenging” or “difficult” would be accurate. After the passenger loses interim status, the e-500s are essentially useless.
I suppose your language is more precise. I said the upgrades would be impossible to use on a "practical" basis. That means an upgrade that has real value. I suppose that you could rearrange your travel and book a short haul route at an off-peak time and maybe get lucky with an upgrade. All I know is that I actually tried to use my temporary elite status on a Tuesday night redeye in a slow travel week and was 31st on the upgrade list. I also didn't get close to the first class cabin on my other efforts to upgrade at more popular times. So I don't like anyone's chances of getting a good upgrade out of this.

Originally Posted by lmross
You'll get priority boarding.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
I suppose your language is more precise. I said the upgrades would be impossible to use on a "practical" basis. That means an upgrade that has real value. I suppose that you could rearrange your travel and book a short haul route at an off-peak time and maybe get lucky with an upgrade. All I know is that I actually tried to use my temporary elite status on a Tuesday night redeye in a slow travel week and was 31st on the upgrade list. I also didn't get close to the first class cabin on my other efforts to upgrade at more popular times. So I don't like anyone's chances of getting a good upgrade out of this.

You'll get priority boarding.
And 2 checked bags per person on the same PNR
Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:40 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by alfrie
Just targeted and registered for Platinum Pro. No 500-mile offer though. Never had status with AA.
No need for 500 mile upgrade certs as a PPRO. Complimentary upgrades are unlimited, so no need to “spend” stickers. Now, getting the upgrade is a completely different matter. I went 2-9 as a PPRO last year and both were on sub 500 mile segments, so wouldn’t have cost me a sticker even if I was only gold.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 3:06 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I got offered gold with 8 stickers. Never had status with AA, Had one short domestic flight with them last year. Doubt I will be able to fly enough to meet this deal. Was considering a last minute trip, but that will probably only give me half the miles I need.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 3:38 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by mvoight
You cannot give them away. The whole idea in getting them is because AA wants you to fly on AA..
500 mile upgrades do not expire.
I know, it was nice when you could "redeem" them for miles, originally 1500 each as I recall, then fewer, now nada. A few years ago, I did a few months as PLT and actually used some of mine so I'm down to only 32. See what happens after 1/31/20 when I'm back to LT PLT.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 5:04 am

Does EXP or PPRO actually have their own service desk? Or just a higher order in the phone queue? Do any of the AA statuses have their own desk?
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I’m just wondering if having the Citi AA credit card hinders you from being targeted for any of these type of promotions. I’ve had mine for about 18 years and have been AA Plat or higher for the last 11 years. I have NEVER received any type of offer besides the buy up status which every Tom, Dick and Harry gets!
My wife has never had status with AA but she has the Citi card and also never once received any of these offers!

Even the Hyatt Globalist to EXP targeted offer was not targeted to me, despite my being a 60+ night Globalist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.