FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Exec World Elite Card ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2000228-exec-world-elite-card.html)

morrisunc Dec 17, 2019 11:05 am

Exec World Elite Card ?

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere or feel free to merge. My renewal is coming up in Jan and don't see much reason to keep as I had it primarily for my spouse and extended family getting Club access (I think one person used it once this year) and the 2/times bonus using for AA tickets is pretty weak compared to my Amex bonus.

Has anyone had luck at them waiving - or reducing - the annual fee? I put ~100K on it this year, but inclined to cancel if they don't waive the fee this year. Many thanks.

JJeffrey Dec 17, 2019 11:26 am

Originally Posted by morrisunc (Post 31849609)
Sorry if this is covered elsewhere or feel free to merge. My renewal is coming up in Jan and don't see much reason to keep as I had it primarily for my spouse and extended family getting Club access (I think one person used it once this year) and the 2/times bonus using for AA tickets is pretty weak compared to my Amex bonus.

Has anyone had luck at them waiving - or reducing - the annual fee? I put ~100K on it this year, but inclined to cancel if they don't waive the fee this year. Many thanks.

Given that this is a $450 AF card that comes with lounge access, I'm not aware of Citi ever waiving the annual fee (otherwise everyone would be doing it). When you call to cancel they will most likely offer you some type of retention offer.

I'd recommend asking over in the Citi forum where the Citi experts can chime in...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...all-cards.html

donotblink Dec 17, 2019 11:38 am

Most people here have it just for the lounge access, because it's less expensive than getting it from AA directly. I personally don't put much spend on it--right now just Lyft rides for the $10 credit each month.

chicago747 Dec 17, 2019 12:07 pm

My boss puts 100% of his spend on this card and was able to get them to waive the fee a few years ago. I know his spend is well north of $100k. I didn't ask him if he was successful a second time or not. He basically used his regular Citi AA Mastercard since the 90s as his primary card then upgraded to the Exec two years ago. I don't know if his yearly spend, long history, or combo of both resulted in the waiver. It never hurts to ask to see if they will waive it.

arollins Dec 17, 2019 12:08 pm

If you only used the lounge access once this year, that was a very expensive visit, as opposed to buying a day pass $59.00. If overall you do not make use of all the "added-on" benefits the card has to offer, there are plenty of other credit cards where you can maximize your 100k spend.

dave_261 Dec 17, 2019 1:09 pm

They will definitely waive some or all of it based on your spend, especially if you threaten to cancel. Check out the Citi forum and you'll see a thread on retention offers.

diver858 Dec 17, 2019 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by arollins (Post 31849835)
If you only used the lounge access once this year, that was a very expensive visit, as opposed to buying a day pass $59.00. If overall you do not make use of all the "added-on" benefits the card has to offer, there are plenty of other credit cards where you can maximize your 100k spend.

While it is difficult to justify the AF for 1x per year lounge access, I often find signs during peak travel periods (very common with banked flights) when day passes are not accepted, increasing the value of membership.

taseas Dec 17, 2019 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink (Post 31849718)
Most people here have it just for the lounge access, because it's less expensive than getting it from AA directly. I personally don't put much spend on it--right now just Lyft rides for the $10 credit each month.

Lyft credit? Did you have to call for this one? I don't see it listed on my card benefits.

flightrisk Dec 17, 2019 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by taseas (Post 31851022)
Lyft credit? Did you have to call for this one? I don't see it listed on my card benefits.

I hadn’t heard about this either but it’s a World Elite Mastercard benefit (so the Barclays Aviator Red card also has it) where you get a $10 credit for 5 rides in a calendar month.

fotographer Dec 18, 2019 3:37 am

Originally Posted by morrisunc (Post 31849609)

If you are spending 100K on that card... call them .. to make you an offer that you like, otherwise just let them know (nicely) that you will be moving your spend to another card.
I would not keep it for the lounge access... alone.