FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Alyssa has had it with American Airlines. Officially! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1999732-alyssa-has-had-american-airlines-officially.html)

cmd320 Dec 13, 2019 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Fehdward (Post 31838159)
Someone needs their own Gulfstream G650.

Personally I prefer the G650ER.

SeattleDavid Dec 14, 2019 1:12 am

Originally Posted by _fx (Post 31838167)
The footnote for the stat says “unique passengers flown.” Doesn’t specify anything about segments. My guess is they calculated per reservation; e.g., 87% of pax only travel on 1 reservation (most of which are probably RTs) per year.

And statistics are confusing territory anyway. Being in the top 5% of unique AA passengers requires a time-bounded measurement for uniqueness (over 12 months I guess) and therefore it does not put you anywhere near the top 5% on any particular flight, or even on any given day (though per day is going to be much closer to 5% than per flight).

Ldnn1 Dec 14, 2019 1:32 am

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid (Post 31838545)
And statistics are confusing territory anyway. Being in the top 5% of unique AA passengers requires a time-bounded measurement for uniqueness (over 12 months I guess) and therefore it does not put you anywhere near the top 5% on any particular flight, or even on any given day (though per day is going to be much closer to 5% than per flight).

Per day could still be nowhere near 5%. Remember that, by definition, each person in that 87% total only flies on one day per year (or two days if RT). Whereas, by definition, the more frequent fliers fly on multiple days.

What this means is that on the average day, you could in theory have the majority or at least a significant minority of seats flown by frequent fliers, despite them representing only a small proportion of the total annual unique customers.

Without further information we can't tell the average seat mix just from the uniqueness stat.

nancypants Dec 14, 2019 1:32 am

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid (Post 31838545)

it’s a fairly standard demonstration of making the statistics fit whatever point the user (in this case, AA) is trying to make IMO

necessarily vague on the finer detail to make it harder to debunk

fotographer Dec 14, 2019 1:36 am

who are you are? again
and why are you important to me?

SJWarrior Dec 14, 2019 4:01 am

Originally Posted by bse118 (Post 31837914)
Am I supposed to know who that is?

Hope he/she does leave AA. Something tells me there would be a lot of extra overhead space on those flights.

bobnchi Dec 14, 2019 6:07 am

A candidate for the DYKWIA thread.

LovePrunes Dec 14, 2019 8:18 am

Originally Posted by SJWarrior (Post 31838767)
Hope he/she does leave AA. Something tells me there would be a lot of extra overhead space on those flights.

nah, the person cant travel with overhead bags...obviously WAYYYY over the limit for aerosol hairspray in carryons

IggySD Dec 14, 2019 10:54 am

Originally Posted by SJWarrior (Post 31838767)

Alyssa Edwards is a she, which I’m guessing you knew is the preferred pronoun but are just trying to be “edgy” like your name.

I suspect the real issue is that a FA pointed out her back rolls,

MorganB Dec 14, 2019 11:36 am

Originally Posted by IggySD (Post 31839601)
Alyssa Edwards is a she, which I’m guessing you knew is the preferred pronoun but are just trying to be “edgy” like your name.

Ha Ha on the back rolls ! I love that moment on Drag Race. I feel like he/she is more tricky maybe. Alyssa Edwards is a stage name so when in drag I would think it would be proper to refer to Alyssa as she but perhaps when she is Justin and not in drag he would be appropriate unless you're using the gay vernacular "she" which is again different ha ha.

wetrat0 Dec 14, 2019 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 31838562)
Per day could still be nowhere near 5%. Remember that, by definition, each person in that 87% total only flies on one day per year (or two days if RT). Whereas, by definition, the more frequent fliers fly on multiple days.

What this means is that on the average day, you could in theory have the majority or at least a significant minority of seats flown by frequent fliers, despite them representing only a small proportion of the total annual unique customers.

Without further information we can't tell the average seat mix just from the uniqueness stat.

I don't think there was any claim in the OP about seat mix. She didn't say she was in the top 5% of AA customers on a particular flight. Rather, she claimed to be in the top 5% of all AA customers.

This is not that complicated-- in fact it's such a widely known phenomenon that it has a name: the Pareto Principle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle), colloquially known as the 80/20 rule. It's an empirical rule as many businesses observe that 80% of sales come from 20% of clients, and the remaining 20% of sales come from 80% of clients. Therefore there is a small group of clients whom it is important to keep happy because losing them would result in a dis-proportional loss of sales, and a large group of clients that just don't drive that much revenue and aren't worth pursuing aggressively (unless you can get them to sign up for a Barclay's card).

In this case, let's say that AA has N unique customers, and 87% of them apparently fly once per year. Let's assume the once-a-year passengers all take a round-trip (i.e., at least 2 segments) and half of them also have a connection (4 segments), resulting in an average of 3 segments per infrequent-flyer, or a total of 0.87*N*3 total segments flown by infrequent flyers. The remaining 13% of customers are frequent-enough flyers. If the average frequent-enough flyer flies S segments per year, then the total segments flown by frequent-enough flyers is 0.13*N*S. So the seat share for frequent-enough flyers is (0.13*N*S)/(0.13*N*S+0.87*N*3). Cancelling out 0.13*N top and bottom, we get the seat share of frequent-enough flyers as roughly (S)/(S+20). So for frequent-enough flyers to make up a majority of seat-sales we would need S=20, i.e., an average of 20 segments per flyer (which would put the average such flyer about halfway to Gold).

Totally plausible though completely irrelevant to the original post. To wit, given the 80/20 rule, it's not an exaggeration to suppose that someone who is executive platinum is among the top 5% of customers at AA, in fact it's almost surely the case.

TomMM Dec 14, 2019 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by COGal (Post 31837938)
Alyssa Edwards...Drag Queen Extraordinaire.

Ah, explains why I took her to be an AI bot.

aeroman380 Dec 14, 2019 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by IggySD (Post 31839601)

Exactly. If you aren't sure then it is safe to use "they" or "them"

When in drag it is usually always she...but if you arent sure then it doesnt hurt to ask what their preference is

JY1024 Dec 14, 2019 2:16 pm

Closing this thread, as discussion is mostly not relevant to AA nor AAdvantage program. /Moderator