Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Dynamic Pricing Run Amok - 6k Miles Award to SYD/AKL - wow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Economy Web Specials for 6K LAX to SYD/AKL. Even some decent ones on QF. Intermittently Nov - February/March-ish. A few 80K Business Saver awards, Fiji Air through NAN. No F Saver. But what an amazingly sweet Economy Special. Hard to fathom. Timing part of the LAX-AKL announcement?

If I were 30 years old and able to sit in the back of the plane for that long, I'd be all over this. :-(
Air Houston likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
I think they shut it down.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:11 pm

Yep, deal is dead. Was live for an hour or two. 6K oneway, and 10K round trip.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:25 pm

What do you think the chances of them honoring it versus cancelling it are? I managed to get something on hold, but it is a terrible ticket. Debating booking to see if they cancel it and give something back as a goodwill?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by kajukenbo
What do you think the chances of them honoring it versus cancelling it are? I managed to get something on hold, but it is a terrible ticket. Debating booking to see if they cancel it and give something back as a goodwill?
Why would they give you something as goodwill? It was an obvious error.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:29 pm

If they decide to cancel all these tickets, there won't be any type of compensation. Don't see why they should give out something. So if you are not happy with the flights you have on hold, don't book anything. Furthermore, as you have the flights on hold, they might not even ticket now that the deal is pulled.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:44 pm

Truly phenomenal Flash Sale. Booked MIA-LAX-SYD-LAX-MIA for 10k over Labor Day 2020.

MIA-LAX is on 772 also so was able to select PE for free.
MasterPlanner likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:45 pm

How do I know it was an error? 10k makes about much sense as the ~400k in economy I've seen. AA has prices all over the map so it is no longer clear to me how much flights should cost.
BearX220, schriste, Spiff and 15 others like this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
These were Economy Web Specials. Economy Web Specials very significantly and specifically don't have an award chart.
84fiero and Air Houston like this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by steveholt
These were Economy Web Specials. Economy Web Specials very significantly and specifically don't have an award chart.
And, you have to agree to several strict restrictions.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mvoight
Why would they give you something as goodwill? It was an obvious error.
How do I know it was an error? 10k makes about much sense as the ~400k in economy I've seen. AA has prices all over the map so it is no longer clear to me how much flights should cost.
Booking it just for "goodwill" compensation will surely get you some bad karma. An EP or CK could theoretically book and cancel this without penalty, but would you really do that with lower status and risk fees? The held ticket would probably go through on initial purchase but could always be caught later down the line during or after ticketing (but seems like they'd probably honor this one).

And I don't agree it's an obvious pricing error. Some of these "web specials" have actually been really good deals, although, yes, 5k each way on a RT to NZ seems even a bit too good to be true.

Last edited by metallo; Oct 28, 2019 at 9:19 pm
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:13 pm

Might have been a good deal if I was still a student but now I wouldn't sit in AA Economy that long for 0 miles.
jordyn, GTITAN, whimsey21 and 5 others like this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JetAway
Might have been a good deal if I was still a student but now I wouldn't sit in AA Economy that long for 0 miles.
Sums up my thoughts exactly.
BLG and Antarius like this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:23 pm

That is the issue with my flight. I'd fly Australia->USA on Sunday from a paid ticket, LAX->NZ Monday (arriving Wednesday) and then NZ->LAX Friday. 40hours in economy in one week, I'm not sure I'd make it.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
That is the issue with my flight. I'd fly Australia->USA on Sunday from a paid ticket, LAX->NZ Monday (arriving Wednesday) and then NZ->LAX Friday. 40hours in economy in one week, I'm not sure I'd make it.
Why would you book such a trip on an award to spend 2 days in Australia?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.