FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1991907-aa-increasing-carry-bag-enforcement-audits-oct-2019-a.html)

AA100k Oct 21, 2019 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 31651814)
These are the people that AA needs to police. Not the guy with a bag 0.5 inches over the line on the sizer or the guy with a newspaper.

One would hope the micrometer wouldn’t be placed in use. I’m more concerned with the personal item measurements. I carry either a backpack or a tote and both have somewhat irregular dimensions - they fit under the seat without problem but I can imagine a power-tripping GA could raise an issue.

no1cub17 Oct 21, 2019 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 31652277)
becuase they should only enforce the rules on others

Someone with a 0.5" oversize bag is never within the limits and should be one that is addressed. When people realise that they cannot get away with bags that are too large, then people will start using compliant bags and helps improve siuation - the US seems to be where cabin baggage is an issue a lot more than anywhere else I travel. The aeroplanes in the US are not smaller than elsewhere

Let me guess, you never drive 70 in a 65 mph zone right? If you do, I hope you get a ticket every single time.

Dave Noble Oct 21, 2019 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by no1cub17 (Post 31652395)
Let me guess, you never drive 70 in a 65 mph zone right? If you do, I hope you get a ticket every single time.

Do not comprehend the analogy - if someone has a bag that is over the limit, then the bag is always non compliant - not someone inadvertently going over the limit

Something that is over the limit and is always over the limit is something that should be addressed

Antarius Oct 21, 2019 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 31652420)
Do not comprehend the analogy - if someone has a bag that is over the limit, then the bag is always non compliant - not someone inadvertently going over the limit

Something that is over the limit and is always over the limit is something that should be addressed

Heres another one - you're jailing the pot smokers on the same sentencing levels as manslaughter.

Both are crimes. Equating them is absurd.

Often1 Oct 21, 2019 4:04 pm

Here's another one. Analogies rarely work. Certainly not here.

This is all best dealt with by making the rules clear and then uniformly enforcing them. Carry-on is largely a zero-sum game. If I try to get away with bring on an over-size bag, there is some other passenger who likely won't be able to fit his compliant bag in the OH.

Games playing during the boarding process is frustrating for other passengers and staff and has the potential to cause delays. People who think that they are special and that the rules don't apply to them are free to seek counseling elsewhere.

no1cub17 Oct 21, 2019 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 31652420)

You're joking right? You seriously don't understand the analogy?

By your logic, someone or something over the limit should always be addressed. So next time you're out there driving 65 on 60, I expect you'll call your nearest police department and notify them of your crime? After all, no better way to address something than to address it yourself!

AA should be focusing on the 3rd bag folks, yes, but to equate them with those who's bags may be a smidgen over the limit (or even worse, someone carrying a newspaper or jacket) is just beyond absurd.

Antarius Oct 21, 2019 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31652595)

This is all best dealt with by making the rules clear and then uniformly enforcing them. Carry-on is largely a zero-sum game. If I try to get away with bring on an over-size bag, there is some other passenger who likely won't be able to fit his compliant bag in the OH.

Games playing during the boarding process is frustrating for other passengers and staff and has the potential to cause delays. People who think that they are special and that the rules don't apply to them are free to seek counseling elsewhere.

No one is talking about playing games. It is using common sense to distribute your resources in places that give you the most value.

A lack of any form of nuance is a failing strategy. You'd be the FA trying to charge a guy for his drink instead of preparing for an emergency landing. Because GOD DAMN IT, RULES ARE RULES.

no1cub17 Oct 21, 2019 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31652595)

That's not necessarily true. There are carry-ons that don't fit in AA's sizers that very easily fit into overheads, even older, smaller overheads like on the S80 (tear). A bag that's just marginally oversize doesn't necessarily preclude someone else from stowing their bag.

The bigger factor IMO is morons that don't put their bags on their side in the bigger cabins - they contribute far more to wasted overhead space than marginally larger bags.

SkyTeam777 Oct 21, 2019 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by no1cub17 (Post 31652638)
That's not necessarily true. There are carry-ons that don't fit in AA's sizers that very easily fit into overheads, even older, smaller overheads like on the S80 (tear). A bag that's just marginally oversize doesn't necessarily preclude someone else from stowing their bag.

The bigger factor IMO is morons that don't put their bags on their side in the bigger cabins - they contribute far more to wasted overhead space than marginally larger bags.

Exactly! The sizers are smaller than many rollaboard bags that fit very easily in overheads and are/were within carry-on limits a couple of years ago. So now everyone has to go buy new bags because an airline changed its policy? I get oversized bags and more than two, but my standard, hardside Away four-wheel spinner does not fit in AA's sizer. Maybe airlines need to take some issues up with bag manufacturers calling their bags carry-on size then?

Dave Noble Oct 21, 2019 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by no1cub17 (Post 31652597)
You're joking right? You seriously don't understand the analogy?

By your logic, someone or something over the limit should always be addressed. So next time you're out there driving 65 on 60, I expect you'll call your nearest police department and notify them of your crime? After all, no better way to address something than to address it yourself!

AA should be focusing on the 3rd bag folks, yes, but to equate them with those who's bags may be a smidgen over the limit (or even worse, someone carrying a newspaper or jacket) is just beyond absurd.

If you are into analogies - going along a motorway where speed limit is 70mph and there are speed cameras that go off when speeding is detected - it won't take long before people realise that going at 80mph along that stretch of road will realise that generate speeding tickets and points on a licence each time is likely worse than driving within limits

AA should not focus on 1 tyoe of infringement but all infringements. If the rules were consistently applied then soon the trying to take non complying baggage will stop

Antarius Oct 21, 2019 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 31652796)
AA should not focus on 1 tyoe of infringement but all infringements. If the rules were consistently applied then soon the trying to take non complying baggage will stop

Or, since there isn't one road, people will go on the road that allows them to go 80. Which is why AA is having to backpedal on things like Oasis, because needlessly pissing off customers results in lower margins and does not lead to a healthy stock price.

Often1 Oct 21, 2019 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 (Post 31652791)
Exactly! The sizers are smaller than many rollaboard bags that fit very easily in overheads and are/were within carry-on limits a couple of years ago. So now everyone has to go buy new bags because an airline changed its policy? I get oversized bags and more than two, but my standard, hardside Away four-wheel spinner does not fit in AA's sizer. Maybe airlines need to take some issues up with bag manufacturers calling their bags carry-on size then?

Airlines?

If you purchase a bag which has inaccurate dimensions, then it is for you to take it up with local trading authorities. AA has not materially changed the dimensions of its permitted carry-ons in a good long while.

GrumpyYoungMan Oct 21, 2019 6:46 pm

^^^

no1cub17 Oct 21, 2019 7:00 pm

If you are into analogies - going along a motorway where speed limit is 70mph and there are speed cameras that go off when speeding is detected - it won't take long before people realise that going at 80mph along that stretch of road will realise that generate speeding tickets and points on a licence each time is likely worse than driving within limits

Yeah, but the difference is this is real life. Society realizes that the investment to install speeding cameras in most cases is not worth it, despite the theoretical benefit of making sure everyone follows the rules. There's a reason most cops won't give you a speeding ticket unless you're going 10+ over.

If AA wants to focus on the 0.5 inch offenders, well more power to them. But that's not the actual problem. A cop that gives someone a ticket for going 5 over isn't fixing anything.

Dave Noble Oct 21, 2019 7:11 pm

There are plenty of places where there are fixed speed cameras

Allowance for speeding takes into account measures such as accuracy of the speedometers - with the manufacture of the bag, it is either one that is made to be compliant with regulations or one that isnt. If a vehicle was manufactured that was not compliant with vehicle requirements, it wouldn't ever be permitted on a public highway

Is it really that big of an expectation that bags that people want to take on meet the requirements. It is not as if the size requirements are frequently changing on AA

If taking a larger bag is so important, then why use a carrier that states that it doesn't permit it?