FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1991907-aa-increasing-carry-bag-enforcement-audits-oct-2019-a.html)

enviroian Oct 23, 2019 3:12 pm

Zero enforcement at A8 phx now.

Navig8R Oct 23, 2019 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by BobbySteel (Post 31658092)
Well this guarantees my travel won't be on aa rest of this year. Hit status so absolutely the perfect time to experiment with other carriers! Nice work aa.

Really, over carry on size enforcement? Later bro

cmtlatitudes Oct 23, 2019 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by deeruck (Post 31659828)
Here's the AA version, along with a non-compliant carry-on.

Hey, don't ban that kid....he can carry a bag.

AA100k Oct 23, 2019 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by genotonda (Post 31659771)
There are sizers that show both carry-on dimensions (white lines) and personal size dimensions (yellow lines). Saw one at the D31 ticket counter at DFW, last night. Come to think of it, not sure I've ever seen one of those for AA. Only Spirit.

I’m closing in on 1 million miles with AA (and the former USAir) and I’ve never seen an AA sizer with personal item dimensions. The AA personal item dimensions (8” x 14” x 18”) are very generous and I travel with a Tumi bag of exactly those dimensions and I have never been challenged.

genotonda Oct 23, 2019 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by AA100k (Post 31659944)
I’m closing in on 1 million miles with AA (and the former USAir) and I’ve never seen an AA sizer with personal item dimensions. The AA personal item dimensions (8” x 14” x 18”) are very generous and I travel with a Tumi bag of exactly those dimensions and I have never been challenged.

Not sure if this was just a general comment about you having never seen one in your travels, or if you are doubting their existence. If it happens to be the latter, see post #150.

_kurt Oct 23, 2019 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 31658432)
Maybe they should put a horizontal metal headpiece that slides down, like on a stadiometer at the doctor's office so there can be no discrepancy

I don't want to give AA any ideas, but back in the '90s United put a metal barrier in front of the x-ray machine. Any non-compliant bag simply would not fit into the scanner. This was before TSA, of course, when security checkpoints were still locally run. That was the last straw that led my family to switch from UA to AA and I was loyal to AA for 15+ years. Now I'm a free agent and if AA wants to gate-check my newspaper they will lose the slice of my business that they still have. I've got to say though, I haven't seen any enforcement this month that rises above average.

AA100k Oct 23, 2019 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by genotonda (Post 31660028)
Not sure if this was just a general comment about you having never seen one in your travels, or if you are doubting their existence. If it happens to be the latter, see post #150.

As I wrote, I never seen an AA sizer with personal item dimensions, not that I’ve never seen an AA sizer. The one in post #150 shows dimensions for carry-on bag, not personal item.

deeruck Oct 23, 2019 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by AA100k (Post 31660077)
As I wrote, I never seen an AA sizer with personal item dimensions, not that I’ve never seen an AA sizer. The one in post #150 shows dimensions for carry-on bag, not personal item.

The yellow lines are for the personal item.

Mark_T Oct 23, 2019 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by AA100k (Post 31660077)

It shows both actually, note the two sets of lines, one white the other yellow...

jerseytom Oct 23, 2019 5:16 pm

A related thought - I wonder what the actual dimensions of the sizer are. It's certainly conceivable that there's built-in tolerance.

To my earlier post, TravelPro openly advertises that the outer dimensions of many of their "carry-on" products exceeds what would be allowable on American, Delta, and United. Yet they also claim that their bags are "sizer tested" and approved for "most" airlines. So clearly something doesn't add up.

My next flight isn't for another month yet, but I'd be curious if my illegal bag actually fits the thing without issue.

Dave Noble Oct 23, 2019 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by jerseytom (Post 31660229)
A related thought - I wonder what the actual dimensions of the sizer are. It's certainly conceivable that there's built-in tolerance.

To my earlier post, TravelPro openly advertises that the outer dimensions of many of their "carry-on" products exceeds what would be allowable on American, Delta, and United. Yet they also claim that their bags are "sizer tested" and approved for "most" airlines. So clearly something doesn't add up.

My next flight isn't for another month yet, but I'd be curious if my illegal bag actually fits the thing without issue.

To be fair, AA,UA and DL are only 3 airlines and there are a lot of other airlines in the world.

jerseytom Oct 23, 2019 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 31660261)
To be fair, AA,UA and DL are only 3 airlines and there are a lot of other airlines in the world.

To be more specific, using this product page as an example, they go so far to specify...

"The Maxlite® 5 Expandable Carry-On Hardside Spinner is designed to meet carry-on size restrictions for most domestic airlines while maximizing how much you can pack inside with its convenient 2” expansion option."

"This Carry-On bag has been sizer bin tested to accommodate overhead bin space on most major US airlines."

And yet, overall dimensions listed: H: 23in W: 14.75in D: 9in

AA / UA / DL all state 22 x 14 x 9 max. Like how could someone say, "We tested this on most of the major US airlines... just not United, Delta, or American" ;)

pa3lsvt Oct 23, 2019 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by ikwia (Post 31648249)
I could have sworn that AA used to list items that were allowed and did NOT count against your carry-on allowance...I thought the list included reading material, a jacket, food to consume on-board, umbrella, and maybe some other items. Am I misremembering, or have these exclusions be removed?

Courtesy of Wayback Machine:

Additional allowed items
You can also bring:

Outerwear such as coats, wraps and hats

A book or newspaper

A small bag of food to eat on the flight

An approved safety seat for a lap or ticketed child

A pillow or blanket

An umbrella stroller for a lap or ticketed child

A diaper bag for a lap or ticketed child

Duty free items

Assistive devices (e.g. wheelchairs, walkers, portable oxygen concentrators, CPAP machines etc.)

Breast pump

https://web.archive.org/web/20160211...on-baggage.jsp

Dave Noble Oct 23, 2019 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by jerseytom (Post 31660281)
To be more specific, using this product page as an example, they go so far to specify...

"The Maxlite® 5 Expandable Carry-On Hardside Spinner is designed to meet carry-on size restrictions for most domestic airlines while maximizing how much you can pack inside with its convenient 2” expansion option."

"This Carry-On bag has been sizer bin tested to accommodate overhead bin space on most major US airlines."

And yet, overall dimensions listed: H: 23in W: 14.75in D: 9in

AA / UA / DL all state 22 x 14 x 9 max. Like how could someone say, "We tested this on most of the major US airlines... just not United, Delta, or American" ;)

Given the size limitations of those US domestic airlines, sounds like it wasn't very well designed then

jerseytom Oct 23, 2019 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 31660310)
Given the size limitations of those US domestic airlines, sounds like it wasn't very well designed then

And yet their verbiage is very specific. It doesn't say "outer dimensions comply with most major airline published requirements." It says that it passes the sizer (which I suppose is all that matters as far as a GA go/no-go gauge)

Not an unreasonable hypothesis that the sizer has some built in tolerance. Will be a mildly interesting experiment here next month.