FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1991907-aa-increasing-carry-bag-enforcement-audits-oct-2019-a.html)

Dave Noble Oct 23, 2019 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by jerseytom (Post 31660328)
And yet their verbiage is very specific. It doesn't say "outer dimensions comply with most major airline published requirements." It says that it passes the sizer (which I suppose is all that matters as far as a GA go/no-go gauge)

Not an unreasonable hypothesis that the sizer has some built in tolerance. Will be a mildly interesting experiment here next month.

It is also however going on to state about how much can be carried when expanded - although not stating it, it seems to be implying that making use of that would be ok too

Be interesting to see whether it actually fits within the sizer limits or just marketing lies

Dr. HFH Oct 23, 2019 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 31656970)
Victimless crime, if the 0.5 inches affects nothing.

No, if a bag exceeds AA's specifications, it can result in a fine for AA.

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 31658432)
Why can't AA just write its policy to be "Suggested maximum dimensions are 22x14x9, subject to gate agent discretion."

Anyone here want to give gate agents more discretion (authority) than they already have? I certainly don't.

BLG Oct 23, 2019 9:18 pm

I'd like to know if anyone has seen if the "enforcers" will allow the front of the bag to be squished in behind the bar? Is it OK if it squishes in? I'm often using a Travel Pro 20" bag that easily passes on height and width but the front of the bag (the 9" dimension) is a half inch over, but the overage is a squishable computer pocket. My past experience with sizers has been if bags squish in they are deemed OK, but who knows how the enforcement will be now. Would like to hear any experiences on this.

genotonda Oct 24, 2019 12:45 am

Originally Posted by AA100k (Post 31660077)
As I wrote, I never seen an AA sizer with personal item dimensions, not that I’ve never seen an AA sizer. The one in post #150 shows dimensions for carry-on bag, not personal item.

And as I wrote.... please see post #150. Thought I spelled it out pretty clearly in my initial comment that I specifically saw, for the first time, a sizer with 2 different sets of lines, one yellow, one white, showing both carryon AND personal item sizing. Then deeruck was kind enough to post a photo of one. If you actually look at it, you'll see white lines, and yellow lines. One set indicates measurements for a standard carry-on and the other for a personal item. Just like I initially mentioned. Hope that clears it up for you.

On a side note, those sizers look to have been created back when basic economy only included a personal item.

genotonda Oct 24, 2019 5:57 am

Another sizer showing personal item sizing guidelines. This was from this morning at BTR. I noticed this one has zero reference to BE, so doesn't seem to have been created for when BE was personal item only.

ZERO enforcement of carry-on baggage for the flight to DFW. At least 7 people boarded with a roller bag, a backpack, and a garment bag. Front closet is full from hanging garment bags. FA was very friendly and hung about 5 garment bags from coach passengers, all of whom had it as their 3rd carry-on item.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...7cc4984542.jpg

no1cub17 Oct 24, 2019 7:16 am

Originally Posted by genotonda (Post 31661561)
Another sizer showing personal item sizing guidelines. This was from this morning at BTR. I noticed this one has zero reference to BE, so doesn't seem to have been created for when BE was personal item only.

ZERO enforcement of carry-on baggage for the flight to DFW. At least 7 people boarded with a roller bag, a backpack, and a garment bag. Front closet is full from hanging garment bags. FA was very friendly and hung about 5 garment bags from coach passengers, all of whom had it as their 3rd carry-on item.

Wow - I guess I'm just incredibly naive and had no idea that so many folks board with 3(!) carry-ons. But then again, to some people here, bringing 3 carry-ons is the same offense as having a bag that's 0.25 inches over the sizer's limit (but still would easily fit in any overhead). So go AA! Go get those 0.25 inchers!

alien Oct 24, 2019 8:03 am

Last time I took a tape measure to the sizers upthread the dimensions for Carry-Ons to the outer edge of the white lines was the 22" and 14". The depth for the front inside bar to the rear wall was 10".
eta: The 10" makes sense as that's where there's the most variability from packing and hence some leeway.

genotonda Oct 24, 2019 8:39 am

Originally Posted by no1cub17 (Post 31661732)
Wow - I guess I'm just incredibly naive and had no idea that so many folks board with 3(!) carry-ons. But then again, to some people here, bringing 3 carry-ons is the same offense as having a bag that's 0.25 inches over the sizer's limit (but still would easily fit in any overhead). So go AA! Go get those 0.25 inchers!

I dont normally pay attention, but with this becoming a hot topic, just so happened that I noticed a guy in gate area, waiting to board, with 3 items. He had a roller, backpack, and what looked like a large-sized cooler. Something that could hold like 8-10 cans. He boarded group 1, same as me. He had no issues. I was in 2A, so all the requests for hanging of garment bags happened to catch my attention. Then noticed that for all of them, it was a 3rd item. Can't say if this is the norm or not, because usually I'm not paying attention. And this was on a maybe 3/4 full E175.

AA100k Oct 24, 2019 8:59 am

Originally Posted by genotonda (Post 31661561)

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...7cc4984542.jpg

Last week in PHL, they still had the old sizers without the yellow lines. I stand corrected. In any event, the new sizer poses no problem for those among us who follow the rules.

genotonda Oct 24, 2019 9:31 am

Originally Posted by AA100k (Post 31661992)
Last week in PHL, they still had the old sizers without the yellow lines. I stand corrected. In any event, the new sizer poses no problem for those among us who follow the rules.

These seem to be scattered about, no rhyme or reason. As one who never really paid much attention to them until this recent announcement, can't say how many or how long this style has been around. Interesting to see if more if this style start popping up.

Antarius Oct 24, 2019 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by genotonda (Post 31661941)
I dont normally pay attention, but with this becoming a hot topic, just so happened that I noticed a guy in gate area, waiting to board, with 3 items. He had a roller, backpack, and what looked like a large-sized cooler. Something that could hold like 8-10 cans. He boarded group 1, same as me. He had no issues. I was in 2A, so all the requests for hanging of garment bags happened to catch my attention. Then noticed that for all of them, it was a 3rd item. Can't say if this is the norm or not, because usually I'm not paying attention. And this was on a maybe 3/4 full E175.

I see this regularly. Bad rules + inconsistent enforcement = recipe for unhappy customers. =

Also, in general, I stand by my earlier comments that 90% of bags are not in compliance anyways. Most bags are ever so slightly too large, once you include the wheels and handles - there are like 2 models cited in this thread that fit exactly, but thats it.

Antarius Oct 24, 2019 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by no1cub17 (Post 31661732)

That 0.25 inches above the bag on an E175 is critical!!

The most awesome was in HNL last year when they made me run my backpack through the sizer (huge value add, given I had 4 overhead bins available to choose from in J on a 772) while allowing a Group 7 pax next to me to take 3 oversized items onboard. :rolleyes:

AAdamE Oct 24, 2019 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by BLG (Post 31660784)
I'd like to know if anyone has seen if the "enforcers" will allow the front of the bag to be squished in behind the bar? Is it OK if it squishes in? I'm often using a Travel Pro 20" bag that easily passes on height and width but the front of the bag (the 9" dimension) is a half inch over, but the overage is a squishable computer pocket. My past experience with sizers has been if bags squish in they are deemed OK, but who knows how the enforcement will be now. Would like to hear any experiences on this.

Take your computer out and use gravity to create the illusion of an easy fit. If you have a small backpack, put the computer in there, as they count the computer itself as a personal item.

A few years ago at DFW, I had kind of roller duffel bad that was cut out to fit the normal carryon size reqs but when stuffed, would always fit in the bin, but need a good push to fit in the sizer. I was told it had to fall into the sizer "with ease" to count. Mind you this was on a fully booked hub to hub flight where half of the plane was boarded by group 4, so it was probably not an audit but just them looking for any reason to make an elite heavy flight gate check bags.

Score8 Oct 24, 2019 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by deeruck (Post 31658765)
Yep. I was genuinely shocked when my bag beat me to the carousel in ORD this week. If that was more regular, I'd be fine with checking a bag.

You forgot to mention that you had lunch after you got off the plane, but before you went to get your bag...:)

Score8 Oct 24, 2019 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by chicago747 (Post 31658397)
Would a "soft sided garment bag" include one made of leather? Per their site AA says Soft-sided garment bags up to 51 inches / 130 cm (length + width + height) can also be taken as your carry-on item.

Seems these types of bags actually get a larger size allowance than a normal rollaboard. Seems a bit unfair.

The garment bag thing always baffled me. Particularly the hard sided ones. Those are giant and take up 1.5 spots in the overhead.