Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Heads Up if connecting to BA-BA Pilots Announce Strike Dates and AA Support (2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heads Up if connecting to BA-BA Pilots Announce Strike Dates and AA Support (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA

If you have any upcoming connections to BA flights, be aware that BA pilots have called strikes for Sept 9, 10th, and 27th.

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Yep. I'm booked on a BA-operated, AA-coded (and AA-ticketed) LHR to US flight on Sept 27th.

Waiting for the AA travel waiver / rebooking policy....
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA - PLT Marriott: Silver
Anyone know what I should do here? Flying PRG-LHR (BA) - DFW (AA) on 9/27, booked through AAVacations, so not sure if PLT desk can/will change it? Is this a certainty that no BA LHR flights will operate on the strike days?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver. Back of the plane on everyone else.
Originally Posted by TexasAussie
Anyone know what I should do here? Flying PRG-LHR (BA) - DFW (AA) on 9/27, booked through AAVacations, so not sure if PLT desk can/will change it? Is this a certainty that no BA LHR flights will operate on the strike days?
It's not a certainty that NO flights will operate, but I'd plan that it won't. A dummy booking on BA.com or ITA makes it look like PRG-LHR is cancelled, so I'd get on the phone to AA and see if you can rebook on PRG-PHL-DFW.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by DC Mike
It's not a certainty that NO flights will operate, but I'd plan that it won't. A dummy booking on BA.com or ITA makes it look like PRG-LHR is cancelled, so I'd get on the phone to AA and see if you can rebook on PRG-PHL-DFW.
Cheers @DC Mike, I've done just that, ended up getting on PRG-PHL-DFW and also getting a $100 refund due to price difference as well. Confirmed with the AA Vacations Supervisor that the BA Strike had been flown up the flag pole, and that there may be a waiver issued in the coming days.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 6:35 pm
mhy

Programs: JGC
Originally Posted by TexasAussie
Cheers @DC Mike, I've done just that, ended up getting on PRG-PHL-DFW and also getting a $100 refund due to price difference as well. Confirmed with the AA Vacations Supervisor that the BA Strike had been flown up the flag pole, and that there may be a waiver issued in the coming days.
You were able to change your BA flight on your AA booking? My AA marketed BA flight on LHR-JFK (Sept 8) was canceled but AA told me they couldn't do anything yet...
Old Aug 23, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, National EE
I have an 08Sep GLA-LHR (BA1483) that is purportedly cancelled per the BA email I received (though still bookable on BA.com!), so the effects appear to be beyond the planned strike dates. Called EXP desk just now and as stated above, nothing can be done until a waiver is issued.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
This is a huge mess. My wife's JFK-LHR-CPH had the LHR-CPH segment canceled (according to BA), but there is no waiver up with AA. She tried to cancel and refund the whole ticket so she can book on Norwegian and the phone agent refused. They offered to refund just the LHR-CPH segment....... like, what help would that be??
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by mhy
You were able to change your BA flight on your AA booking? My AA marketed BA flight on LHR-JFK (Sept 8) was canceled but AA told me they couldn't do anything yet...
It was likely because it was booked with AA Vacations and bought the pre-depature change waiver coverage but not 100% sure. Hopefully AA issues a waiver soon.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
If reservations systems show a segment of an itinerary as cancelled, then I find it very disconcerting that AA isn't allowing cancel/change without penalty.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by econ
If reservations systems show a segment of an itinerary as cancelled, then I find it very disconcerting that AA isn't allowing cancel/change without penalty.
I would give AA a few hours to get a policy in place.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Yesterday Evening, BA sent me email about our flights from Berlin to Newark via Heathrow on the 8th September confirming the cancellation. These were BA-operated, AA-coded (and AA-ticketed) flights..I spoke to a very helpful gentleman in reservations and ticket changes within minutes of getting the mail . Initially it seemed they had no information about any BA strike and I had to message AA with the email attached. The gentleman found tickets for both of us on the eight morning from Berlin to Philadelphia by an AA flight which suited us fine as we live on the outskirts of Philadelphia. I guess we got lucky to be presented with a neat solution to the problem. I guess Kudos are due for a quick resolution.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, National EE
It seems some of the email cancellation notices from BA were potentially premature, though the situation remains confusing and a bit fluid to me:

https://onemileatatime.com/british-a...elation-email/
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It's a debacle from BA.

Some of the emails were sent out in error and were badly worded - mainly for flights around the strike dates. A friend of mine got one for his flight on the 11th. Another on the 8th.

Your flight has been cancelled if on the BA pp / web site it is highligted in RED and the text struckthrough

Anythibg else is an advisory re possible delays with options to rebook or get a refund or retain the flight - your choice.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
As a follow up to my previous post, BA sent me email which now states that our flights on September,8 which were supposedly cancelled have been reinstated. I suppose I should make sure my substitute return via AA is still on. Thankfully our vacation in Berlin has been saved. Hopefully everyone affected has been taken care of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.