FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   I have Temporary Platinum through Oct 31 + 20 500-mile upgrades - how best to use? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1983452-i-have-temporary-platinum-through-oct-31-20-500-mile-upgrades-how-best-use.html)

BostonGuy Aug 17, 2019 8:43 pm

I have Temporary Platinum through Oct 31 + 20 500-mile upgrades - how best to use?

I'm not going to be able to fly enough to keep the status match.

But I do have 96,000 miles on AA. How would you use the status and upgrades if you were me?

I generally fly out of BHM and ATL. Interested in Europe/South Africa/Argentina travel, but I suppose my upgrades are only useful for domestic.

Thanks!

Uncle Nonny Aug 17, 2019 8:54 pm

500 mile stickers only good domestically. You could easily use your miles in a round trip to SA. Possibly even premium cabin on one of the legs. Platinum status is rather dull. Depending on your route upgrades can be very elusive. Checked bags and MCE seats are the only real advantages you have over the civilians.

bse118 Aug 17, 2019 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny (Post 31428062)
. Checked bags and MCE seats are the only real advantages you have over the civilians.

Well, if you ignore lounge access when travelling in economy on international...

donotblink Aug 17, 2019 11:15 pm

Since you’re not EXP, you can’t use the 500 mile upgrades on award travel, only paid travel IIRC. Also, as a platinum traveler who probably has very low EQDs, you would basically only be before Gold travelers upgrades. You’d have to be traveling an unpopular route at a time not traveled much by frequent travelers to have a shot at using them.

mvoight Aug 17, 2019 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny (Post 31428062)
500 mile stickers only good domestically. You could easily use your miles in a round trip to SA. Possibly even premium cabin on one of the legs. Platinum status is rather dull. Depending on your route upgrades can be very elusive. Checked bags and MCE seats are the only real advantages you have over the civilians.

Lounge access for Non North America destinations (Although Mexico City is OK) is a useful benefit.

LovePrunes Aug 18, 2019 12:00 am

Originally Posted by donotblink (Post 31428234)
Since you’re not EXP, you can’t use the 500 mile upgrades on award travel, only paid travel IIRC. Also, as a platinum traveler who probably has very low EQDs, you would basically only be before Gold travelers upgrades. You’d have to be traveling an unpopular route at a time not traveled much by frequent travelers to have a shot at using them.

and the 500-milers won't be usable once you lose your status, so might as well try and upgrade every flight you purchase with cash before you are no longer platinum, and since odds are slim for platinums to get upgraded anyway

ESpen36 Aug 18, 2019 2:09 am

Travel to/from/through Central America also grants lounge access, as long as you have an onward flight on the same day or before 6am the following day.