Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

I have Temporary Platinum through Oct 31 + 20 500-mile upgrades - how best to use?

I have Temporary Platinum through Oct 31 + 20 500-mile upgrades - how best to use?

Old Aug 17, 19, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion

I'm not going to be able to fly enough to keep the status match.

But I do have 96,000 miles on AA. How would you use the status and upgrades if you were me?

I generally fly out of BHM and ATL. Interested in Europe/South Africa/Argentina travel, but I suppose my upgrades are only useful for domestic.

Thanks!
Old Aug 17, 19, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
500 mile stickers only good domestically. You could easily use your miles in a round trip to SA. Possibly even premium cabin on one of the legs. Platinum status is rather dull. Depending on your route upgrades can be very elusive. Checked bags and MCE seats are the only real advantages you have over the civilians.
BostonGuy likes this.
Old Aug 17, 19, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny View Post
. Checked bags and MCE seats are the only real advantages you have over the civilians.
Well, if you ignore lounge access when travelling in economy on international...
Old Aug 17, 19, 11:15 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite
Since youíre not EXP, you canít use the 500 mile upgrades on award travel, only paid travel IIRC. Also, as a platinum traveler who probably has very low EQDs, you would basically only be before Gold travelers upgrades. Youíd have to be traveling an unpopular route at a time not traveled much by frequent travelers to have a shot at using them.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Aug 17, 19, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny View Post
500 mile stickers only good domestically. You could easily use your miles in a round trip to SA. Possibly even premium cabin on one of the legs. Platinum status is rather dull. Depending on your route upgrades can be very elusive. Checked bags and MCE seats are the only real advantages you have over the civilians.
Lounge access for Non North America destinations (Although Mexico City is OK) is a useful benefit.
Old Aug 18, 19, 12:00 am

Programs: an inch longer than you. Seriously, this is BS just for bragging.
Originally Posted by donotblink View Post
Since youíre not EXP, you canít use the 500 mile upgrades on award travel, only paid travel IIRC. Also, as a platinum traveler who probably has very low EQDs, you would basically only be before Gold travelers upgrades. Youíd have to be traveling an unpopular route at a time not traveled much by frequent travelers to have a shot at using them.
and the 500-milers won't be usable once you lose your status, so might as well try and upgrade every flight you purchase with cash before you are no longer platinum, and since odds are slim for platinums to get upgraded anyway
Old Aug 18, 19, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
Travel to/from/through Central America also grants lounge access, as long as you have an onward flight on the same day or before 6am the following day.

Search this Thread