Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Basic Economy carry ons

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Basic Economy carry ons

I have not flown AA in years. We are booked basic economy in September Chicago to Orlando. I understand that our seats will likely not be together and we will be in the last boarding group. No problem with either of those things. We can sit apart for a few hours. Am I correct that I am allowed a carry on (I have a 21ish inch wheeled bag) and a personal item? If they try to get me to gate check the bag is there anything I can do?
I think valet check would be fine. If that is still a thing. I just want to have my bag when I leave the plane and not have it go to the luggage carrousel.
Thanks in advance for any insight!!
Old Jul 29, 2019, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Valskate
I have not flown AA in years. We are booked basic economy in September Chicago to Orlando. I understand that our seats will likely not be together and we will be in the last boarding group. No problem with either of those things. We can sit apart for a few hours. Am I correct that I am allowed a carry on (I have a 21ish inch wheeled bag) and a personal item? If they try to get me to gate check the bag is there anything I can do?
I think valet check would be fine. If that is still a thing. I just want to have my bag when I leave the plane and not have it go to the luggage carrousel.
AA dedicated thread-->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

Basic Economy transatlantic baggage allowances
Old Jul 29, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
It is all available to read on AA.com but vs. making you read YAT (yet another thread), here's what it says:

Bags – One personal carry-on item that fits under the seat (such as a purse or small backpack) is allowed. No overhead bin luggage may be brought on board. Larger carry-ons such as a rollerboard bag must be checked at the ticket counter for the applicable checked-baggage charge. Basic Economy customers who bring more than an under-seat personal item to the gate will incur regular checked baggage charges plus a $25 gate service charge per bag.

Elite customers and eligible AAdvantage® credit cardmembers will be allowed to bring one personal item, one rollerboard, and they maintain their current free checked bag allowance.

What you could have done is not bought this terrible class of service. But kiss that bag goodbye for the duration and avoid the fee + their fee for collecting the baggage fee. Or get that AA credit card in the next month or so.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
It is all available to read on AA.com but vs. making you read YAT (yet another thread), here's what it says:

Bags – One personal carry-on item that fits under the seat (such as a purse or small backpack) is allowed. No overhead bin luggage may be brought on board. Larger carry-ons such as a rollerboard bag must be checked at the ticket counter for the applicable checked-baggage charge. Basic Economy customers who bring more than an under-seat personal item to the gate will incur regular checked baggage charges plus a $25 gate service charge per bag.

Elite customers and eligible AAdvantage® credit cardmembers will be allowed to bring one personal item, one rollerboard, and they maintain their current free checked bag allowance.

What you could have done is not bought this terrible class of service. But kiss that bag goodbye for the duration and avoid the fee + their fee for collecting the baggage fee. Or get that AA credit card in the next month or so.
The Basic Economy rules changed a while ago to the following:

Bag details

You can board with 1 carry-on and 1 personal item. The carry-on item must fit in the overhead bin and be no larger than 22 x 14 x 9 in (56 x 36 x 23 cm). The personal item like a purse or small handbag must fit under the seat in front of you and be no larger than 18 x 14 x 8 inches (45 x 35 x 20 cm).

In addition to your personal item; instruments, pets and special items that meet our guidelines can be carried on but will be subject to standard charges.

No other items can be carried on; they must be checked at ticket counters.

On the other hand, the overhead bins could already be full when you board in the last group.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: AAdvatage
Originally Posted by ricktoronto

That is outdated. You are now allowed one personal item AND one carry-on item to ALL destinations.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
While you may be allowed to bring a rollerboard now according to the rules, the odds of you being able to actually do so are pretty slim as the bins will likely be full by group 9.

ETA: Should also add, no the valet service is not going to be an option unless you're on a regional jet without normal sized bins (ie CRJ7, ER4) - so if they gate check it will be to bagage claim at your final.
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by ryan182; Jul 29, 2019 at 7:07 pm
Old Jul 29, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Good news for her then. The right to bring one that gets gate checked due to boarding dead last, vs. having to pay twice to be gate checked.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While FT threads can be useful, it always pays to look at the carrier's own website. The rule change here is significant.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
While FT threads can be useful, it always pays to look at the carrier's own website. The rule change here is significant.
Yes, it is also a lot easier to go to aa.com and find current baggage rules.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Bring your bag to the gate & then immediately gate-check it to wash your hands of it.
Pretty stress-free actually (as opposed to those in say...group 6 who will be sweating it out to see if they can stow their bag up top...)

Load the AA app onto your phone / tablet too, so you can watch TV / movies etc...
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
If they try to get me to gate check the bag is there anything I can do?
No. You can state "Didn't AA recently make a change to allow a carry on and a personal item?" But I'd expect your going to get an answer that overhead space is full and you have no recourse. Since this route is a narrow-body 737 and Airbus, thus not abundant on overhead bin space, I'd expect to be getting a coffee while you wait for luggage.

Curious why they gave up on this policy of charging for the bag. I'm sure the revenue was not worth the time to enforce and create a delayed departure especially since they would run out of space.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flymeAAway
Curious why they gave up on this policy of charging for the bag. I'm sure the revenue was not worth the time to enforce and create a delayed departure especially since they would run out of space.
Or... https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...c-economy.html
Complimentary carry-on bag. Overhead bin space may be limited, so your carry-on bag may be gate checked free of charge
aamilesslave likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Well, live and learn. I had always assumed that I would not maintain my PlAAtinum benefits if I booked one of these atrocity fares.It seems that other than earning 50% EQM's (irrelevant to me, since I am LT Plat), nothing would be different. Thanks FT!
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback. I guess I’ll just have to see what happens. I did in fact read the AA website and baggage restrictions before booking. We chose AA because a carry on was allowed. The point of a carry on for me is to have essentials, a change of clothes, etc in case my checked bag gets lost. Checking it at the gate just defeats the purpose of that.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for all the feedback. I guess I’ll just have to see what happens. I did in fact read the AA website and baggage restrictions before booking. We chose AA because a carry on was allowed. The point of a carry on for me is to have essentials, a change of clothes, etc in case my checked bag gets lost. Checking it at the gate just defeats the purpose of that.
Well I think the bag is less likely to get lost/delayed if it's gate-checked, assuming you're taking a single flight segment.

But I would expect a very real chance that by the time they start boarding Basic Economy fares in Group 9, there will be no overhead space left and they'll require you to check your bag. If it's valuable to carry on your bag, you should purchase Main Cabin going forward. AA.com should probably be more explicit that the Group 9 boarding could result in lack of overhead space for carry-on bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.