Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA History: Oldest Flight with Unchanged Flight Number

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA History: Oldest Flight with Unchanged Flight Number

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by SS255

Off topic, but seem to recall that US1 was PIT-LAX. Man, did I love that flight! It was on a 767. I wonder if it was US1 the entire lifespan of that route?
I recall in the early 2000’s that US1 was FCO-PHL-FLL (or vice versa...). It changed with the HP merger.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by DWFI
CX doesn't use single or double digit flight numbers afaik, their "flight 1" equivalent would be CX100, SYD-HKG.
CX does use single and double digit flight numbers, but these are for cargo only, two examples :

CX005 is NRT-TPE-HKG and
CX037 is HKG-LHR

I don't think there is a CX001 though
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:44 am

Programs: AAexp, UA*G, HY LT Globalist, FB Plat, Centurion
Originally Posted by DWFI
CX doesn't use single or double digit flight numbers afaik, their "flight 1" equivalent would be CX100, SYD-HKG.
WY is basically the same, WY101 is the better timed of the two MCT-LHR flights.

Random, but I do wish SQ renumbered their EWR-SIN service to SQ1/SQ2. Instead, the comparatively uninteresting SFO-HKG-SIN route holds that number.
Actually its very interesting. This was the first non stop flight using the 747 400 Megatop at the time across the pacific. SQ001 and SQ002 were that flight routing as the first carrier in the world to operate this type on this mega journey of 14 hours. Longer than any other flight using the type and with in-flight services and amenities for passengers that made other airlines perk up. These flight numbers represent a milestone in Aviation history for SQ.
moondog likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cmd320
Correct. BA1 was a Concorde flight to JFK for decades.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Are you sure? 1st 2 airlines don't seem to have one - WY and CX

BA1 is a new route - until 2013 it was a LHR-JFK Concorde service
BA1 was the latest, but not the first, flight number for Concorde LHR-JFK.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
“XYZ 001” is often a flagship flight for an airline. AA 1 was several flavors if transcon, iirc. Pan Am PA 001 when I took it flew a 707 around the world - one I recall iirc was SFO-HNL-HND, and from there it went on. PA 2 traveled the reverse, eastward. See PA 2 in 1966, a year I flew both, below.

PA was the first with round the world service, using a Lockheed L-749 Constellation, 17 June 1947. As PA didn’t hold domestic rights, PA 1 westbound originated in LAX or SFO and terminated at LGA (later, JFK). The final PA RTW was 1982. �� (My last Connie flights were on L-749 N121 operated by the then Federal Aviation Agency. ❤️)

AA only flew overseas briefly iirc using its subsidiary, American Overseas Ailrines, which it acquired in 1945 and sold to Pan Am in 1950 to become its Atlantic Division.

Link PA RTW routes
Attached Images     
Carl Christensen likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:55 pm

Here’s an infamous AA 001:

American Airlines Flight 1 was a domestic, scheduled passenger flight from New York International (Idlewild) Airport (now John F. Kennedy International Airport) to Los Angeles International Airport. On March 1, 1962, the Boeing 707 rolled over and crashed into Jamaica Bay two minutes after takeoff, killing all 87 passengers and eight crew members aboard. A Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB) investigation determined that a manufacturing defect in the automatic pilot system led to an uncommanded rudder control system input, causing the accident. A number of notable people died in the crash. It was the fifth fatal Boeing 707 accident and, at the time, the deadliest. - Wikipedia
Shades of MAX... though the 707 series soldiered on.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
When I was a little kid, I flew from Idlewild to LAX with my Mother on a Pan Am 707. Although I remember getting on the plane and looking out the window, seeing the propellers, and hearing the very loud engines the best part was being taken by a stewardess to visit the cockpit before takeoff and receiving a set of wings by the Captain that I still have to this day. The trip seemed to take forever but then again, so did everything at that age!
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Here’s an old timetable dated June 1, 1936 when the DC aircraft started in service and offered sleeper service. Technically lie flat, but more like Pullman bunks than lie flat seats.

And here’s a May 1,1948 depicting an American Overseas Airlines Lockheed L-049 Constellation used in transatlantic service. The technical stop required in Shannon had people getting off the aircraft while it was serviced (100-130 octane aviation gasoline, not nice calm Jet A, you wanted to get off). “All these wealthy people traveling through Shannon,” thought caterer Brendan O'Regan. And Ireland was financially poor but had Whiskey, beautiful lace, Belleek chinaware, Irish woolens, Waterford crystal and more.

Until that time cruise ship passengers were the ones who benefitted from duty free shopping.What are airplanes, he argued, but ships of the air? And what are airline passengers but sailors of the clouds? Why should they pay tax? In 1947, the Irish government agreed and let him try it out here. The rest is history...

(By that time I had flown in an AA DC-3 MEX-MTY-SAT.)

Link to more AA timetables from the World Airline Historical Society.

i had no idea that old AA flights had "route names" like Amtrak continues to have for its trains. This lists "the night owl", "the southerner", "American Arrow", and then some with just numbers.
there could be a whole thread for appropriate nicknames for particular flights today (not to get off topic)
just amazing how few flights there really were that they would extend naming from trains to planes. Pretty cool actually.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by AA100k
When I was a little kid, I flew from Idlewild to LAX with my Mother on a Pan Am 707. Although I remember getting on the plane and looking out the window, seeing the propellers, and hearing the very loud engines the best part was being taken by a stewardess to visit the cockpit before takeoff and receiving a set of wings by the Captain that I still have to this day. The trip seemed to take forever but then again, so did everything at that age!
I assume your mean you saw OTHER propeller aircraft out the window. There were certainly no propellers on the 707!
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
i had no idea that old AA flights had "route names" like Amtrak continues to have for its trains. This lists "the night owl", "the southerner", "American Arrow", and then some with just numbers.
there could be a whole thread for appropriate nicknames for particular flights today (not to get off topic)
just amazing how few flights there really were that they would extend naming from trains to planes. Pretty cool actually.
And it was pretty cool when airlines branded their service on flights. "Flagship Service" was of course AA. UA had "Ocean to Ocean", "Four Star", and "Friendship Service". The FA's would refer to it in their pre-flight announcements. We didn't know how good we had it back then! Now, it is often more akin to riding a bus and I probably just insulted Greyhound!
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
My money would be on those single-digit flights, such as:

AA 1 JFK-LAX
AA 2 LAX-JFK
AA 3 JFK-LAX
AA 4 LAX-JFK
AA 5 DFW-HNL
AA 6 OGG-DFW
AA 7 DFW-OGG
AA 8 HNL-DFW
AA 9 MSY-DFW
(AA 10 LAX-JFK)
Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by JDiver
“XYZ 001” is often a flagship flight for an airline. AA 1 was several flavors if transcon, iirc. Pan Am PA 001 when I took it flew a 707 around the world - one I recall iirc was SFO-HNL-HND, and from there it went on. PA 2 traveled the reverse, eastward. See PA 2 in 1966, a year I flew both, below.

PA was the first with round the world service, using a Lockheed L-749 Constellation, 17 June 1947. As PA didn’t hold domestic rights, PA 1 westbound originated in LAX or SFO and terminated at LGA (later, JFK). The final PA RTW was 1982. �� (My last Connie flights were on L-749 N121 operated by the then Federal Aviation Agency. ❤️)

AA only flew overseas briefly iirc using its subsidiary, American Overseas Ailrines, which it acquired in 1945 and sold to Pan Am in 1950 to become its Atlantic Division.
I flew PA 2 in 1980, 2 hops, BOM/BKK/HKG. Part of an itinerary MCT/ADL, while finding somewhere to stop-over to get an Australia visa ( in HKG). It all worked, despite the best efforts of a typhoon which at least gave me a roller-coaster approach to the old HKG, washing line caught on the starboard wing-tip (apocryphally), and that same wing-tip going way in the air after first touch-down.

Aged 22, I thought all this was normal..
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by SQPPS
Actually its very interesting. This was the first non stop flight using the 747 400 Megatop at the time across the pacific. SQ001 and SQ002 were that flight routing as the first carrier in the world to operate this type on this mega journey of 14 hours. Longer than any other flight using the type and with in-flight services and amenities for passengers that made other airlines perk up. These flight numbers represent a milestone in Aviation history for SQ.
Yes, certainly - I'm not saying it never deserved that number, merely saying that the "prestige" nature of the route is a touch out of date. Whereas AA1 and BA1 retain strong significance to their operations today, SQ1 in today's aviation environment for SQ is simply another route. Them not wanting to renumber the route is their prerogative, certainly.

It's a bit like CX888 - it retains the special 888 numbering for historical reasons, nothing more.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by formeraa
I assume your mean you saw OTHER propeller aircraft out the window. There were certainly no propellers on the 707!
I’m not sure what the prop planes were, maybe DC-7s if they were still around in the early 60’s. I know we flew in a 707 because I have the pin.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by AA100k

I’m not sure what the prop planes were, maybe DC-7s if they were still around in the early 60’s. I know we flew in a 707 because I have the pin.
Perhaps you flew in more than one aircraft, because I’m sure you don’t remember the dry loud noise and props through the window on a turbojet aircraft. DC-7s were still around in the 1960s, though sometimes on less important routes. (In 1965 I flew in a UA DC-7C SMF-SFO.) And perhaps it wasn’t Pan Am? Depending on the year, it looks like PA east-west USA flights were operated by AA. See below 1966.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 24, 2019 at 7:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.