Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

due to weather, agent rebooked me to wrong airport 7900 miles away, should I fly?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

due to weather, agent rebooked me to wrong airport 7900 miles away, should I fly?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I believe China would require a Visa?
Oh, true. OP could also transit to a third country before returning if it is indeed PVG.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
At a 7900 mile difference it's got to be Asia...

And if I were the OP I probably wouldn't share the cities...this is something the blogs will pick up on real quick which would likely poo poo the whole thing.
I thought about that but from what OP said that no visa required, i discounted Asia instantly judging from OPs words.

OP is from East Coast and have several airport to choose from in the city, so it is either NYC or DCA. From there 1200 miles more likely to be SLC.

7900 miles could be the total distance with transit. Suppose OP is flying DFW or LAX that means the destination might be 5000 to 6500 miles away. Thus my first bet is SCL vs SLC. Other destinations for AA to SYD, TYO, AKL (seasonal so discount instantly) , HKG... etc was somehow not register with me. However, I admit that I did not check if HGK or HDN or NTR are valid code AA serves.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
But not 7900 miles. The longest flight from ORD is HKG (which I believe doesn't require a Visa) but not sure what the US airport would be?

Edit - not sure if ORD flies direct to HKG on AA?
Simple answer, no.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by chongcao
Simple answer, no.
Yeah, I did some digging and found that out so that's out. But as another poster up thread stated, OP was from East Coast which opens up some options. I guess I assumed it was a direct flight.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Even if everything goes well for OP on this trip, isn't it possible that a later audit might happen and expose the error? I can see this potentially putting OP on a naughty list, or even AA asking for $$.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: A few here and there
I was thinking in was DCA to DAC? Perhaps on a codeshare?
platbrownguy likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by geometry
Interestingly, I was just wondering about that as well.. I fly AA very rarely and I have less than 1000 miles. (compared to 250,000 miles in my UA acct currently)

but are you guys sure that AA won't charge me somehow after they discover the error a few days or weeks down the road?
On what basis would AA charge you retroactively? Assuming they actually discover their error, of course.

As for the employee, humans screw up on occasion. IMO AA isn’t likely to terminate an employee for this, and their union would likely weigh in.

Would I do this? No. Is it risky? IMO minimally so; they’d be most likely to catch the error at check-in, possibly.
irishguy28 and wetrat0 like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 19, 2019 at 12:28 pm
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
I love things like this would love to know where
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Drunkmuppet
I was thinking in was DCA to DAC? Perhaps on a codeshare?
surely to god that would need a visa?!
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
OP, perhaps unintentionally, made it a fun game by having us try to figure out the airport mix-up. I thought maybe it was TPA & TPE until I re-read the post and realized it was the same three letters. Now I've got nothing...
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:33 pm

Can’t wait to see how this turns out. Hopefully after he flies OP will share more info.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
OP please wear a concealed go pro camera when checking in for this flight.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:46 pm

Waiting to see how this plays out.
RoyalFlush likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
At a 7900 mile difference it's got to be Asia...

And if I were the OP I probably wouldn't share the cities...this is something the blogs will pick up on real quick which would likely poo poo the whole thing.
Could also be Australia. Maybe MEL instead of MLB?

Or perhaps PVG instead of PVD.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
The OP said a VISA wasn't required in their particluar situation, which implies that they may have nationality for the country involved, and hence not needing a VISA where other US nationals might require one.
RoyalFlush, scolbath and Yoshi212 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.